Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2022 7:47:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you able to get US mail via the Embassy? Last time I was there (13 or 14) they cut off US mail for Expat contractors.

Can you make friends with the Embassy como guys and borrow some gear from them? How about your company's purchasing department? You really shouldn't have to spend any of your own money for things like this. Submit a purchase requisition. There are waivers for Itar.

Are you aware of the Pringles can trick? Works for booze.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Tac-Sky is an airsoft brand that has a lot of adapters and headsets, as well as Z-tactical. I have a tac-sky headset and ptt for Yaesu and baofeng and it is loud enough for my mostly deaf self. They are not tier 1 by any stretch but are better than putting the radio on your shoulder and cranking up the volume.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Would something like this work? Disco32 is usually my go to for this stuff. Not sure if it falls under ITAR though.

Amplified PTT
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tac-Sky is an airsoft brand that has a lot of adapters and headsets, as well as Z-tactical. I have a tac-sky headset and ptt for Yaesu and baofeng and it is loud enough for my mostly deaf self. They are not tier 1 by any stretch but are better than putting the radio on your shoulder and cranking up the volume.
View Quote
This is another possible option
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Would something like this work? Disco32 is usually my go to for this stuff. Not sure if it falls under ITAR though.

Amplified PTT
View Quote

I’ll second Disco32.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:High impedance radio, low impedance headset. I hear traffic even better than from the radio's built-in speaker, but when transmitting the signal is very faint and sounds like I am talking through a Huey's rotor blades.
View Quote
When you have a low impedance, dynamic microphone element and need to interface it to a radio that is designed to work with a high impedance, electret microphone element, then you need to do one of two things:

a) Add a proper impedance adapter. For avionics this is easy. All that expensive box is is a mic preamp that is powered by the mic bias voltage coming out of airplane/radio. But since we don't know what the microphone bias voltage is coming out of the DP series radio it's a crapshoot whether this would work or not. Same thing for the DISCO, plus with the DISCO you've got a connectorization challenge.

b) Swap the microphone element on your mic boom to a high impedance, electret type element. This is the surest method. Go find a high impedance headset mic element. They are a dime a dozen because all CIVILIAN aircraft headsets use them. Beg/borrow/steal a CIVILIAN aircraft headset (military aircraft headsets are low impedance) and do some surgery. Note that this method assumes that there is a direct connection between the radio and the mic element and that your PTTs and adapters don't do any bullshit to that connection.

The Tier 1 guys I know have all the real equipment, so are not as much help as one would believe.
View Quote
Oh I believe. They know how to use it, but they don't know what makes it work or how it works. However that doesn't make them much different than most anyone else. That's why your question comes up at least twice, if not three times a month here alone. No doubt it's much more often on the airsoft forums. And, since most folks don't know how to even read a schematic, nobody does any real engineering, it just becomes this game of swaptronics, where once the magic formula is obtained it goes out on all the airsoft forums everywhere.

Snarf/scam/beg/borrow/steal a CIVILIAN aircraft headset. Get some clip leads. If the mic element works, do some surgery. Or you can buy high impedance electret elements easy enough. It's still a crapshoot because without detailed spec's, schematics and/or pinouts nobody can really tell you what will work or not. You just have to try it.

Let us know how you make out.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#10]
http://www.tactical-sky.com/col.jsp?id=103
Scroll down to find the ptt adapters. I didn't look for motorola.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks. A bit more labor- intensive, but I may be able to figure something out.  8 hate jury-rigging this thing, as it is otherwise pretty damned solid for the money.

ETA:. I found exactly what I need!  Out of stock.

You gave me the search terms I needed.  I believe the convertor route is the way to go.  I looked for adapter, not convertor.  Thanks.
View Quote
I'm interested in your solution. Could you post a link if you get a chance?
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like it should work. Just more cable to strap down.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:31:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:35:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Interesting. Thanks! Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top