Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2017 7:09:33 PM EDT
Lets see your Raspberry Pi projects!

I just received my Raspberry Pi 3 and a 7in touch screen. Thinking about a stand alone digital decoder (mainly satellite We-Fax) or, if I get really ambitious, a SDR radio. These things are great.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a pi running my DVAP. Its got the Maryland D-star image on it and its real stable.
I also have a IRLP nano node, but I didn't build that one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one as a plex server and next week I'm setting it up to also act as a freezer temp monitor paired with acurite sensors. The pi emails you if temps are outside of your set range and sends you a weekly chart with all the temp readings from the past week.

Second pi is just running rasplex on the tv in our bedroom.

ETA: I just realized what forum this is.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I built a Pi-based controller for my Apache Labs radio. It's a Pi 3 with the Pi touch screen and 4 encoder knobs. I've also got a USB audio interface, audio amp and mini stereo speakers built into it. If you want more details send me a PM.

Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one as a plex server and next week I'm setting it up to also act as a freezer temp monitor paired with acurite sensors. The pi emails you if temps are outside of your set range and sends you a weekly chart with all the temp readings from the past week.

Second pi is just running rasplex on the tv in our bedroom.

ETA: I just realized what forum this is.
View Quote
No problem, we're into all kind of electronics here.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:03:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I have used them for all kinds of things. Mostly computer related, but I do have three doing rtl_power scans 24/7 at two locations feeding them back to me.

Recently I built one using a pi ups hat and pi tft plus. I was thinking it could be a really cool APRS or FLDIGI terminal.

Attachment Attached File

ETA:

I know it will get asked, I don't know how long the battery will last on the pi ups. I ran it as a sip server for about 3 hours without any issue.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#6]
No pics currently, but I have one as a dedicated aprs rx station, and another setup as a PiAware.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one running my IRLP node and one running my PiAware ADS-B dongle.

Link Posted: 12/24/2017 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't get me started on another project M.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't get me started on another project M.
View Quote
HAHAH!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Finally got everything working. Touch screen was a bitch to get calibrated...lol
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got a 2 running PiHole.   I've got a 3 w/ RetroPie.  Another 3 is working w/ some ZeroWs running MotionPie.   I'm getting ready to at least setup a card for an Amiga emulator.  They're useful little computers.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome! What does it do? Is it a mini dedicated computer?
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just replied to you on it...lol

It is a mini computer. Its running on a linux type platform. It is very cool.
Right now I am trying to get my RTL-SDR Dongle to work on it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
What error? Usually it’s as easy as apt install. But if there is an error, more than likely you are going to need to blacklist the default rtl module that comes in the kernel so the rtl-sdr package will work.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What error? Usually it’s as easy as apt install. But if there is an error, more than likely you are going to need to blacklist the default rtl module that comes in the kernel so the rtl-sdr package will work.
View Quote
I am having problems getting Gqrx v2.9 installed. I can get it to run but I have not copied the apropriate udev rule to /etc/udev/rules.d/
before plugging in my dongle.

When I type sudo cp udev/rtl-sdr.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/ into the terminal I get the following response:
cp: cannot stat 'udev/rtl-sdr.rules': No such file or directory
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 11:20:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I am having problems getting Gqrx v2.9 installed. I can get it to run but I have not copied the apropriate udev rule to /etc/udev/rules.d/
before plugging in my dongle.

When I type sudo cp udev/rtl-sdr.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/ into the terminal I get the following response:
cp: cannot stat 'udev/rtl-sdr.rules': No such file or directory
View Quote
just do

sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/rtl-sdr.rules

That will open up a text editor where you can type the rule in and save it.

ETA

If you dont have gedit installed you can try this too

sudo echo "blacklist dvb_usb_rtl28xxu" > /etc/udev/rules.d/rtl-sdr.rules
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 11:37:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I have 3 running in my house right now.

One runnng a HomeSeer server tied into my home control system.
With lighting (Zwave and UPB), weather and DirecTV plugins.
I'm building new touch screens for that one.

Another running a WeMo emulation and a serial port out to link in with Amazon Echo to allow voice control of some things not available through the HomeSeer server with about 40 virtual devices.

Another running a display server for my IP cameras, attached to HDMI port 4 or my TV to display my cameras on the TV.
That one has a WeMo emulation as well and a CEC library to control the TV and switch to HDMI via voice control or when commanded by the HomeSeer server.
That one also runs my Ubiquiti Unifi control software for my AP network.

I had one with a Plex Server setup but it was a bit too slow.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly the project I hoped to find in this thread, hoping a late Santa delivery brings an RTL-SDR my way.
I bought a new SD card so I don't have to nuke my retropi installation, but I'm not quite sure where to start without a dedicated iso to burn.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Tell us about the cocktail....
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Belvedere martini, staight up, just a little dry vermouth, cocktail olive, stirred, served tooth cracking cold
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a pi0 running pihole, a pi2 running home automation.

I am trying to decide if I want to use a pi3 as a digital modes PC, or do I want to put Lubuntu onto an old old laptop and use that.  Any suggestions?  Also is the 7" screen worth 70$?

Edit : not to hijack the conversation, but does anyone have experience with the Asus tinkerboard?
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Edit : not to hijack the conversation, but does anyone have experience with the Asus tinkerboard?
View Quote
I think @echomancer has/had one, not sure if he did anything with it yet
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top