Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2013 8:56:50 AM EDT
In the next year or two (once the kid is a bit older) I'm looking to get my first bird dog. I however do have some concerns regarding raising a disciplened pup along side an old, we'll say head strong dog. My wife purchased our current dog (Jack) as a deployment buddy while I was overseas and maybe loved him a little too much. He is by no means a bad dog, but he is no bird dog. Is it possible to raise a pup alongside my current dog, or will the pup be confused by the differences in standards?

Jack (Akita/Lab/Collie/Something) alongside my parents new pup.

Jack and "The Boy"

Link Posted: 10/4/2013 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#1]
we have a 4 yo rescue St Beagle and now a 9 month old papered GSD, who is being trained my a LEO trainer. No problem. the one cat is but the 90# puppy doesn't realize he could crunch the kitty when she chases him
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#2]
No firsthand experience to validate what I've read, but dogs are social animals used to living in packs.  They tend to show restraint to pups.

I've had friends that have done exactly what you're talking about with no problems.  The old dog actually helped teach the new dog the rules.

We, however, have been battling with the opposite; we have 2 male neutered cats that are polar opposites.  The older male is very territorial and cats are less well adapted to colony living.  The second car was a rescue we took off the street and got cleaned up.

There are a ton of books out there to check out before you pull the trigger and you can always look for an Animal Behaviorist.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I have an 18 month old Great Dane and a 9 week old Golden Retriever...they are BEST buddies and that took about 15 minutes when they first met a week ago
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Will my older dogs bad habbits/ allowances be picked up by the pup? My wife has a habbit of letting him sleep in the bad a few times a week and i do not want the pup to pick that up
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Just be consistent with the new dog. My dad got his first bird dog when I joined the Marines, he needed a new hunting buddy. The other dog had basically no restrictions but he didn't go into the field either. It won't be a problem as long as you are the alpha.

What breed(s) are you looking at? And I couldn't help but laugh when you said you don't want your bird dog in the bed with you, bird dogs are the biggest prima-donnas and it will be your new cuddle buddy.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy yourself a field trial washout.  A good breeder will hook you up with a beta dog so you will have no issues.  You will get a fantastic hunting dog with whoa, steady point, likely steady to after the shot, e-collar, and whistle trained all in one Package.  Also you will know for sure your dog will hunt.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#7]
You can train the new pup NOT to go up on the bed...however it is going to wonder why the other one is allowed up there! You can ask me how I know this...LOL
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gqllc:
You can train the new pup NOT to go up on the bed...however it is going to wonder why the other one is allowed up there! You can ask me how I know this...LOL
View Quote

The puppy one bound and he is on the bed, the old fat dog...he tries but can't jump
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:30:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a 9 year old female bulldog that gets to do pretty much anything she wants, I have a 3 year old Male bulldog that is protection trained, and competes in obedience and WP, they have two different standards and it works well enough.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#10]
MrsWind and HurricaineAllie have destroyed the puppy...he is a 90# cuddle puppy... I can't win..All I wanted was a dog to sit next to me when I am in my chair, growl on command like a good viking dog...
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#11]
My 17 year old beagle schooled my 1 year beagle rescue the rules of the house.  Got along great and helped the pup to learn his limits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top