Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2021 12:51:20 AM EDT
Are there realistic or even useful options for detecting or monitoring things like radiation levels or even 'common' biological contaminants?

I am wondering if it might be useful to know if despite your other preps you might need to leave an area if simply being there could kill you.

I just saw the movie 'Testament' (1983) and holy fuck. I know I'm gonna be dwelling on it for a bit It has me thinking what could you even try to do in a post-nuke radiation filled landscape.

Spoiler TLDR of that movie: nukes go off and everyone in this town actually seems to have supplies and a semblance of civil society but everyone just slowly dies of radiation poisoning, bleak as fuck.

Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:12:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one of these NukAlert devices.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:45:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are there realistic or even useful options for detecting or monitoring things like radiation levels or even 'common' biological contaminants?
View Quote

Can't speak to the bio contaminants - but there are a bazillion devices capable of monitoring radiation levels.

My personal favorite is the Ludlum 25 - Has a tremendously wide measurement range (0.01 mR/hr to 999 R/hr), impressive battery life (6000 hours) - in a package smaller than a deck of cards.

Professional-grade - with a price to match.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been tempted to get this meter. Its simple and reliable. No microprocessors or fancy electronics inside. It covers a wide range, including very high levels of radiation.
It comes with a small pellet (source) to check the tube function.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#6]
The problem with analog survey meters is that they're prone to drifting out of calibration.

Typically, in an analog meter, converting particle "hits" in a GM tube to mechanical movement of a meter dial involves RC time constants - and the values of both the "R" and "C" like to wander around over time, temperature, humidity, phase of the moon, etc...

In a digital survey meter, the microprocessor directly counts the GM tube "hits" - no need for analog integration. So, you've completely eliminated the most drift-prone element.

And, if there are any other well-understood causes of drift, they can usually be compensated for in the software.

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 11:44:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am wondering if it might be useful to know if despite your other preps you might need to leave an area if simply being there could kill you.

View Quote

The "leave or die" radiation meter is called a "survey meter". Those kinds of survey meters are not common off the shelf consumer items these days. Cold War surplus stuff can be had relatively cheap but who knows if it will work.
The down side of even a working survey meter is while they can tell you to "leave or die", they are worthless at telling you if the food you are eating is going to kill you in the next 6 months.

If you want to check if your food stuffs will kill you within 6 months you'll need a scintillator and they are not cheap.

If you want to know if you food stuffs are going to make your grand kids have 3 eyes, you'll need a Lab grade scintillator and a couple of weeks test time on any food you're planning to eat.

If you want to just make do with something is better than nothing, you can get a digital "pancake" Geiger counter for food stuffs, and some lead shielding to improvise it into a survey meter.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The problem with analog survey meters is that they're prone to drifting out of calibration.

Typically, in an analog meter, converting particle "hits" in a GM tube to mechanical movement of a meter dial involves RC time constants - and the values of both the "R" and "C" like to wander around over time, temperature, humidity, phase of the moon, etc...

In a digital survey meter, the microprocessor directly counts the GM tube "hits" - no need for analog integration. So, you've completely eliminated the most drift-prone element.

And, if there are any other well-understood causes of drift, they can usually be compensated for in the software.

View Quote

I understand how they work. Honestly, calibration is irrelevant for me as long as the device works. They come with a source to check the tube functionality. The same meters were used after the Chernobyl disaster and they provided sufficient information on radiation levels and exposure danger.
I'd be happy to have 3 dots in the meter: WTF, O-Sh*t and Run Forrest, Run!

I have several low level, digital meters. One can also do Beta and some Alpha. I have nothing that will measure mid to high levels of Gamma. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:45:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The same meters were used after the Chernobyl disaster and they provided sufficient information on radiation levels and exposure danger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The same meters were used after the Chernobyl disaster and they provided sufficient information on radiation levels and exposure danger.

Were those particular meters purchased from ebay, with no calibration performed before use?

I have nothing that will measure mid to high levels of Gamma. Any suggestions?

Suggestion has already been made:

The detector inside the Model 25 measures gamma radiation up to 999 R/hr.

How much higher than that do you want to go?
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 6:37:14 AM EDT
[#10]
My RADEX meter 2 hours after being injected with Technetium-99m (half-life 6 hours) last Thursday for a cardiac MPI test.  The display is a little confusing.  It actually reads .796 mSv/hr.
That number represents about 1000 chest X-rays.

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'd be happy to have 3 dots in the meter: WTF, O-Sh*t and Run Forrest, Run!

View Quote

Sounds likes Soviet Poland made the RS-70 radiation alerter with you in mind.

Polish made RS-70 radiation alerter teardown

Here is the original Polish Civil Defense film that shows the proper way to use it.

W pogodny dzien 1976 ochrona przed pylem radioaktywnym

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 9:46:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Someone in the past linked this one off evil bay. I don’t really know if it’s a good one or not.

GQ GMC-500 Geiger Counter Radiation Detector Monitor Dosimeter Beta Gamma X-Ray
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Useful link https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/__Useful___Radiation_Detectors_for_the_Radiation_Naive/18-668056/?page=1
Useful site for older civil defense meters
http://www.radmeters4u.com/calibrate.htm
The hard part about radiation detection is finding a detector that's not to sensitive.

Biological detection? You're surrender by biological contamination. There is easy way to detect a biological attack with out a full blown lab.

Book a civil defense meters on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Choose-Civil-Defense-Radiological-Instrument/dp/1543093108

I wouldn't pay the print price but the Kindle price at $3.99 is worth it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:42:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't know much but I have had a Terra-P on my desk since Fukishima.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top