Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2020 6:25:11 PM EDT
The black tank on our new to us (2018 model) travel trailer has a incorrect capacity sensor.

What methods have you successfully used to clean the tanks and sensors?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
What a timely question, just cleaned ours the other day. It had the same problem. I picked up one of those spray wands that have a rotating head on the end. Hooked it up to hot water, and commenced to spraying. Went right down through the head. Put a five gallon bucket under the open discharge, with the wife signaling went it was nearing full, and just kept spraying until the water ran sort of clear with no chunks. Took about an hour. My indicator lights are working fine now.
As an aside, don't dump the bucket into your house toilet, it really smells up the place ( Don't ask me how I know). After the first bucket I opened up a sanitary manhole and just kept dumping it there. Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Put some water on it, about half so it will slosh. Add as much ice as you think you need. Drive around a bunch or corners so the ice scrubs. Empty.  Wand In the other response will help too.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I always put a weight on the toilet pedal until I could see the water level and then opened the valves. Do this a few times and usually your good.

The sensors are just bolts through the plastic tank. As they corrode they will stop working correctly. Even my 2020jayco will show full when its empty from time to time.

The wands work ok, probably saves water too.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#4]
The sensors on just about all RV for the Black and Gray tanks are notorius for not being accurate.  When I had our 40ft HR Endeavor DP, the sensore worked for about a year then they were never accurate.  My 40ft toyhauler is the same way.

Fill your black and gray tank about half full.  Then put in a couple of bags of ice, then put in some Dawn dish soap the powdered kind.  Go out for an hour or so and drive around.  This should help clean up your tanks until the sensors get covered up again.  Depending on where you are staying do this before you leave on your trip, then dump at the RV park when you get there.  Or do it on your way home and dump at home or your local dump station.

If your rig has the Black tank pressureized cleaners make sure you use them all the time.  Also never dump your black tank until it is at least 3/4 full.  Otherwise there is not enough fluid to push everything out.  The key to healthy black tanks is lots of water.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cobullseye:
Put some water on it, about half so it will slosh. Add as much ice as you think you need. Drive around a bunch or corners so the ice scrubs. Empty.  Wand In the other response will help too.
View Quote

This right here.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m going to try the ice this weekend. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:55:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Dumped a bag of ice and added some water to the black tank. Also added a treatment pod the day before and a bit of water.

Drove around and dumped the tank.....still reads 1/3 after dumping. Ugh...
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dumped a bag of ice and added some water to the black tank. Also added a treatment pod the day before and a bit of water.

Drove around and dumped the tank.....still reads 1/3 after dumping. Ugh...
View Quote

It either didn’t clean good enough or you could have a faulty sensor.

Do you have access to remove the sensor? Pull it out and manually scrub it. You could use a continuity meter to ensure a good reading and you could do the same on the wire from the sensor to the board.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve read to many saying your wasting your time with ice, that it Just doesn’t work.  Most say hold the toilet open and spray with a wand throughout the tank.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 2:35:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a wand attachment for a hose, the kind you would spray a driveway with. Next trip I’m going to take it and a spare hose and try to spray it out.

If I go through the effort of taking down the underbelly skirting and pull sensors I’m going to replace them with a different brand. I read on one of the rv forums about a brand that are supposed to the greatest ever....can’t recall the name tho
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a wand attachment for a hose, the kind you would spray a driveway with. Next trip I’m going to take it and a spare hose and try to spray it out.

If I go through the effort of taking down the underbelly skirting and pull sensors I’m going to replace them with a different brand. I read on one of the rv forums about a brand that are supposed to the greatest ever....can’t recall the name tho
View Quote

It’s mostly pointless. A hard film called “sturvite” covers them constantly.

<—— Rv tech.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 1:50:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

<—— Rv tech.
View Quote

Wonderful so let me ask you this if I may, and I understand every person and their use is different...

I believe our black tank is 30 gal. How long should it take to fill? Two adults urinating only. I’ve read posts where people say they go 4 or 5 days and the tank isn’t full.

On the RV forums everyone says “you will know when to dump”. But they never say how you will know. What happens that will tell me to dump? I’d like to avoid piss flowing out of somewhere that it wasn’t intended.

@RHINO_Hunter
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 2:19:48 AM EDT
[#14]
You can see the level if you look down the toilet with a flashlight when you hold the flush handle open.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 6:20:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You can see the level if you look down the toilet with a flashlight when you hold the flush handle open.
View Quote

On mine you can't see the tank bottom through the toilet. It appears that either the tank is molded with a slope (deflector?) or there is some other piece of plastic diverter right below the toilet.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#16]
@RINO_Hunter

We need more info
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
On mine you can't see the tank bottom through the toilet. It appears that either the tank is molded with a slope (deflector?) or there is some other piece of plastic diverter right below the toilet.
View Quote

You don't need to see the bottom.  It's when you can see that the tank is very nearly full that you know it's time to dump.

When I went back to college, I was parked on my buddy's land.  Pissing outside, I'd go 3 weeks or more on my tiny black tank.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Wonderful so let me ask you this if I may, and I understand every person and their use is different...

I believe our black tank is 30 gal. How long should it take to fill? Two adults urinating only. I’ve read posts where people say they go 4 or 5 days and the tank isn’t full.

On the RV forums everyone says “you will know when to dump”. But they never say how you will know. What happens that will tell me to dump? I’d like to avoid piss flowing out of somewhere that it wasn’t intended.

@RHINO_Hunter
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<—— Rv tech.

@RHINO_Hunter

You’ll know by sound.

There is a portable black dump tank that can be toted around too.

It’s not that cleaning the walls might not work, it’s that six months later it’s the same problem and people give up because they can estimate and hear tank levels accurately.

Also sometimes the sensors fall off because nothing sticks to the polypropylene tanks well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#19]
After emptying , we would dump a large bag of ice in the tank for the ride home .  Scrubbed it nice and clean .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top