Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2023 6:52:21 PM EDT
The "service manager" suggested that I get a battery charger of some sort for the house batteries. He stated that keeping the RV plugged into short power will eventually shorten the life of the converter.

Is there something that would be recommended? I have one engine battery, and 2 house batteries. I'm going to confirm that they were properly installed in parallel.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 7:35:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ske714] [#1]
He says you should charge and use the batteries rather than shore power, because it will shorten the life of the converter?  What converter are we talking about, and why would using it shorten it's life?  Doesn't the RV have 120v circuits for use on shore power?

Ah, he meant that you'll toast your batteries.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll toast your house batteries for sure unless you have an isolator, RV power converters give full charge all the time without a cutout. An alternative is to use a trickle charger that's powered when you are on shore power.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By REKing1911:
You'll toast your house batteries for sure unless you have an isolator, RV power converters give full charge all the time without a cutout. An alternative is to use a trickle charger that's powered when you are on shore power.
View Quote

What are you talking about. Even my 1996 Dutchman pop up camper had a 3 step converter.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 9:19:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OBE1CanOB] [#5]
Salesman is most likely full of shit( 99% are).  Most converters have a 3 stage charger built in.  If yours does not...I would upgrade that not add on.

Any battery that is no of the maint free variety needs the electolite checked and refilled or it will warp the plates of lead acid batts.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#6]
A good auto charger will raise the battery voltage to 14.4v and hold it there until the current drops to 1 or less amps and the drop the voltage 13.5v
until the voltage drops to13v or so and the go back to 14.4v.
you can leave this on indefinitely.
the gray box heavy 20amp battery eliminator only puts out 13.5 volts and will not properly top off a battery.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I use one of these,  small solar panel with the built in controller  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09C2DMBS3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I have a battery disconnect so I have a lead connected directly to the battery and it has worked for me, several years now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#8]
FYI don't try to charge your batteries with the converter if the batteries are real low either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top