Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2022 11:00:35 PM EDT
During my last trip, I woke up to city water running out of my fresh fill cap and I had a full tank of fresh water. I assume the check valve is hung up, shitty. Second issue, now my water pump doesn’t periodically runs when I am not using water and I do not have any visible signs of a leak. Would a faulty check valve cause the second issue?
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 6:23:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CTRob65] [#1]
I'm new to camping and have not experienced this yet, but in doing prior research I would be inclined to say that your water pump's faulty check valve is causing both of your issues.

I don't know how old your water pump is, but it might be a good idea to replace it to avoid any potential future problems.

This guy made a good video of replacing only the check valve to cure the issues you're having.
RV Water Pump Check Valve Function and Replacement How-to - Shurflo 4008

Link Posted: 10/23/2022 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, the same faulty check valve that allows water to flow into the fresh water tank allows the water from the pressurized side of the water system to bleed back to the tank (allowing the pressure to drop) so the pump kicks on to bring the pressure back up.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:
Yes, the same faulty check valve that allows water to flow into the fresh water tank allows the water from the pressurized side of the water system to bleed back to the tank (allowing the pressure to drop) so the pump kicks on to bring the pressure back up.
View Quote

This

And be thankfully it did not pressurize the water tank into a balloon and basically destroy the camper.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had this happen a couple of times. I turn off city water. Turn the pump in and build pressure and turn the city water back on.  Works every time. Only have the issues after several days in the same place.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Quicky06:
I have had this happen a couple of times. I turn off city water. Turn the pump in and build pressure and turn the city water back on.  Works every time. Only have the issues after several days in the same place.
View Quote

I’ll have to give this a shot, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I occasionally have the same issue if I let it sit for a while. Using the pump regularly seems to help but I have started leaving the tank drain open when hooked to city water just in case.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By gillplate:
I occasionally have the same issue if I let it sit for a while. Using the pump regularly seems to help but I have started leaving the tank drain open when hooked to city water just in case.
View Quote

The rig hadn’t been sitting very long at all really but I like the idea of leaving the tank drain open while on city water.

It appears that my extended warranty will cover the pump. No just to wait for the service appointment in January.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Finally had the time to tear my pump apart as it was getting worse. Pump was full of the plastic shavings from when they cut and drilled the holes in the tank. Apparently zero fucks were given to cleaning the tank out after drilling holes. About 2 hours work and all is good now. If it happens again I will pull and clean tank.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top