Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/9/2008 10:20:11 AM EDT
I would like to get a few kerosene lamps for emergency use.  I don't want a cheap lamp.  

I have looked at the Aladdin type lamps and have heard that they are the best as far as kerosene lamps go.

I'm mainly interested in a lamp that burns as odor free as possible.  I understand that the kerosene Aladdin lamps are as close to odor free as one can get.  

Any input from those here who own lamps?

I'd like to see pics of your lamps as well!!!!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#1]
yea the aladin are real nice, bright as the sun, lots of parts and mantle, but they burn a shit ton of fuel and put of a ton of heat.
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By Raven_Fire:
yea the aladin are real nice, bright as the sun, lots of parts and mantle, but they burn a shit ton of fuel and put of a ton of heat.

Thanks for the input.  

I don't mind the heat.  The planned use is for mainly winter time use during power outages and extra heat is never a problem in that environment.

Are they reliable?  

How much is a "shit ton" of fuel?  

If I like them, I will store 10 gallons of kerosene or so.  (I use kerosene for a number of things)

If you (or anyone else) recommends them, where is the best (and cheapest) place to buy them?  I've found them for about $155-250 for ones that I like (and more importantly, one that the wife will like!)

Thanks!!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I would not buy the cheap Wally oil lanterns they leak bad.
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By jvm:

HMM.  I have two of them That I have had to use during power outages from last winters freesing storm.  And An occasional short term power outage.

They are the ones that use the Paraphin wax oil.  (SP).

I have had Zero problems with either one.  And have stated many of times to friends that they are well worth the money.  They burn forever on little oil.  Warm up a room (SMALL ROOM).  They are stupid simple to use.  And when the power is out for long time they beat the pants off a flashlight.   Dead batts no good.

much more economical then burning candles.  The oil is cheap,  and the cotton flint is cheap as well.

They can also use karosene if you wish.  the paraphin just burns cleaner.
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I have four of the coleman K-1 lanterns and they are super bright.
If there is a coleman outlet by you they are about half the price of the online price.

I have four No. 2 Champion
Cold Blast Lantern from http://lanternnet.com/wtkirkman.com.htm.
I love them as well.

Both are good on fuel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#6]
DEITZ lamps.
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#7]
If you stay up all night I think you could run an Alladdin dry if you keep it turned way up.  

If you are at anything remotely approaching alltitude I would recomend buying the taller chimney option.

The heat is welcome in the winter when the days are short.

In my opinion they are the way to go.  I grew up in a house with no electricity so we lived with them for years.

Link Posted: 9/9/2008 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#8]
   Get at least one lantern for handcarry use.  Dont forget extra wicks.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 12:29:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TomJefferson] [#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#10]
My mom has one that has been in her family for a number of years. These are the best as far as I'm concerned. Have been without power at her house on a number of occasions, and for a number of days at a time.  You also need a couple of large  fire extinguishers rated for gas and oil fires, just in case and just to be safe!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 1:27:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By 2Evil4U:
DEITZ lamps.

Agree. We have the Dietz #2500 "Jupiter" Cold Blast Lantern's. They have a large tank with a 72 hour burn time between refills. Which is a big plus to me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 5:00:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MonkeyGrip] [#14]
I would snap up a No. 2 Champion, or three from W.T. Kirkman.  I've been using several of these lanterns for years now with kero, and they're great.  They're Dietz type design lanterns which were state of the art before electric light.  They're galvanized to prevent corrosion, unlike the just painted Dietz brand lanterns, Same as the good ones back in the day.  I have a Petromax, but prefer the Champion because it's more reliable and is so much easier to light up and operate and is more reliable.  I take them camping every time I go and even put one in a 7 gal plastic bucket with a gammaseal lid that I've carried in a vehicle along with extra kero.  

I use them in the house with kero, when the power's out.  I don't like the idea of Alladin lamps, 'cause the wicks are not robust and they can't be moved.  Ditto for glass or table flat wick lanterns, which are OK but in an emergency, it's nice to have something made for portablity, which the Dietz/Champion lantern is.  Works good in or out.  I've literally left them sitting outside (covered), filled with kero, for over a year and lit them up just fine.  I can read by them.  

I buy clear kero buy the gallon, stored in a 15 gallon plastic drum, that I also use for my kero heater.  

Another lantern I'd like to have is the Kosmos, which uses a wrapped around flat wick.  The flat wick provides reliabilty and easy of operation over mantle or pressure lanterns, while the wrap around wick design allows for more light, reportedly, enough light to read.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By jvm:

Yup, I can vouch for that, Had one that I hung up to "store" on a ceiling, next day there were drops of oil in the ground. Avoid the walmart ones.  Picked up some decent ones from a local place here and they work very well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 11:50:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shooter7] [#19]
I'm looking into buying one of these BriteLyt Petromax lanterns.  Any of you guys have one you can give a report on?  They purport to burn all fuels: "BriteLyt lanterns run on a variety of fuels.. kerosene, alcohol-based fuels, mineral spirits, citronella oil, gasoline, Biodiesel, diesel fuel, Coleman fuel, & almost every flammable fuel available on the market."

www.britelyt.com/lanterns.htm

Link Posted: 9/10/2008 12:20:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FS_653] [#20]

Not sure where the "shit ton of fuel" thing came from.. I have several of these lamps, and for the amount of fuel that is consumed versus the light output, I find that they are much more efficient than any other lamp that I have encountered.

On the Aladdin Genie III's that I have, one fill gives 12 hours of constant light if needed. Without looking up the specs on what it holds, I'm guessing it is just over a pint of paraffin.

Yes, I use paraffin in the Alladin's rather than Kero. It's a bit more expensive, but the light output is a bit higher (in my experience) and does not stink like kerosene when lighting or extinguishing the lamps.

The heat is nothing but a benefit, the only time that we really need them is during winter storms.

The lamps can be expensive from the outset, but the benefits far outweigh the initial cost.

Just make sure that you also stock extra wicks and mantles.

By the way, TJ, Nice write up on lamp types!!

Just my $.02

c0
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 1:57:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks to all who responded.  Keep the advise coming!!

I  like some of the other lamps that you all have posted here.  Very neat and I didn't know that there were that many different types.  

I am still interested in the Aladdin lamps but am also interested in the others as well.

My parents used to have some kerosene lamps and they were neat but didn't put out much light as I remember as a kid.  They were the wick type.

Keep the conversation going!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 2:01:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Don't use Kero in the house it stinks bad.  Just buck up and buy the perafin with an Aladdin and you will be happy for many years to come, IMO they are the best lamp for inside the house hands down.
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By Feral:

Originally Posted By MonkeyGrip:
I use them in the house with kero, when the power's out.  I don't like the idea of Alladin lamps, 'cause the wicks are not robust and they can't be moved.  Ditto for glass or table flat wick lanterns, which are OK but in an emergency, it's nice to have something made for portablity, which the Dietz/Champion lantern is.  Works good in or out.  I've literally left them sitting outside (covered), filled with kero, for over a year and lit them up just fine.  I can read by them.  

I buy clear kero buy the gallon, stored in a 15 gallon plastic drum, that I also use for my kero heater.  

Another lantern I'd like to have is the Kosmos, which uses a wrapped around flat wick.  The flat wick provides reliabilty and easy of operation over mantle or pressure lanterns, while the wrap around wick design allows for more light, reportedly, enough light to read.  

The Kosmos lamps are nice. I'd like to give one of them a try myself.

Alladins can be moved while running but I agree they lack the durability of a wick lamp.

I agree that Alladins cant be moved by vehicle very easily....  but otherwise they are a good lamp that will take extended use and mantles last for years.  They are bt no means a fragile lamp.
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By Shooter7:
I'm looking into buying one of these BriteLyt Petromax lanterns.  Any of you guys have one you can give a report on?  They purport to burn all fuels: "BriteLyt lanterns run on a variety of fuels.. kerosene, alcohol-based fuels, mineral spirits, citronella oil, gasoline, Biodiesel, diesel fuel, Coleman fuel, & almost every flammable fuel available on the market."

www.britelyt.com/lanterns.htm

www.britelyt.com/images/lantern004.jpg

I'm interested in this one as well.  Anyone have one and can give us a review???

Link Posted: 9/10/2008 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Whew.  There is a lot of info on kerosene/oil lamps!!  

I have and use a propane mantle type lantern during power outages and it works really well.  Maybe I'll just get a couple more.  They put out a ton of light and are very inexpensive to run.  They are a little noisy though.  

They put out some heat but virtually no odor.  

I also have the propane refill adapter to refill a 1lb tank from a 20 lb tank so the cost per tank is around $0.50 or so.
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 3:02:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#29]

Originally Posted By TomJefferson:

Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
Whew.  There is a lot of info on kerosene/oil lamps!!  

I have and use a propane mantle type lantern during power outages and it works really well.  Maybe I'll just get a couple more.  They put out a ton of light and are very inexpensive to run.  They are a little noisy though.  

They put out some heat but virtually no odor.  

I also have the propane refill adapter to refill a 1lb tank from a 20 lb tank so the cost per tank is around $0.50 or so.

The problem with propane lights of any sort is they put out a massive amount of CO which is orderless and colorless.  

This may not be a problem during an outage in summer with all the windows open but a major health concern in winter with the windows closed.  Major like being buried major.  

Tj

I don't understand why a propane lamp would burn and produce massive amounts of CO but a kerosene lamp doesn't.  

Propane normally burns cleaner than kerosene and other liquid fuels.  If you've ever been in a grocery store at night, they often wax the floor with propane powered engines running buffers.  Most forklifts which are run inside enclosed buildings are powered by propane.  

I seriously doubt that propane produces MORE CO than burning kerosene or lamp oil.  Propane is a VERY clean burning fuel.

Sounds like a test is in order.  I'll try to put one in a tightly enclosed space and then borrow a tester from the FD and see what the CO readings are.

Here is a site I found that sells propane lights made to be run inside.  

Propane lights
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Aladdins are many times more effiecent than the run of the mill wick lamps.
brighter and hotter while burning was less fuel.
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 10:16:19 PM EDT
[#32]
TJ (and others,)

Where do you buy your liquid parafin?
Link Posted: 9/11/2008 2:44:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#33]

Its simply a matter of the compounds involved and oxygen to carbon ratio as it relates to how it burns.  

Propane does burn very clean compared to say gasoline but its relative.  Gas cooks stoves for example seldom ever vented but then were never intended to run all the time and in well ventilated areas.  They were also designed to burn a blue flame which is very hot assisting in better combustion.  

Where gas lights become a problem is in tight very well insulated places.  When gas lights were at their peak in home uses, the typical home had 10-12 ft ceilings and plank and plaster walls with zero insulation.  Windows were single pane and the home typically with numerous chimney's for fire places which added to the ventilation. Modern homes on the other hand are almost like a ship its so air tight in comparison.  

Unvented gas stoves are designed to burn very hot thus a more complete combustion.  Its the same principle as a catalytic gas stove.  Gas lights like a Coleman lantern are to maximize light output not heat.  Their CO output is very high compared to their heat output.  

Heat is a real key here especially in winter.  Staying warm becomes a priority and cutting back on the ventilation a way to do that.  There's always the temptation to turn the lantern on low and sleep with it on in your bedroom.  

The problem with Carbon Monoxide is it attaches to the blood cell which doesn't see it as anything other than C02 its natural exchange gas but it doesn't exchange readily taking up to a month to drop the CO.  

Even though CO output in a light is low compared to say a unvented yellow flame stove like gas logs, the cumulative effect of CO poisoning used daily is very high in confined areas.  CO poisoning can be gradual it not always one night then you are dead.  

In a pinch I wouldn't think twice about using a propane lantern for a few hours here and there, as a primary light over time, no way.  I've spent too much time insulating my house and I know I won't be flushing the CO out but building it up in my body.

Tj

Well I did a little test.  I put my camping Coleman propane lantern inside my truck which was inside my garage with all the windows and doors closed.  I turned on the lantern inside the truck with a CO detector sitting on the dash, just above the top of the lantern (where it vents).  I left it running for 90 mins and checked on it about every 15 mins but did not open any doors to the truck.  The CO level in the truck never rose at all.  I then checked the detector by starting the engine and placing it near the tailpipe.  It registered CO and sounded at the tailpipe within about 20 seconds.  

So, my conclusion is that the propane lantern does not produce a significant amount of CO.  The truck cab got really hot inside but no buildup of CO.

Due to the burning propane, it got hot inside the cab and I could feel that the humidity level had risen.  There was no real odor though.

I can't compare it to a kerosene/lamp oil lantern because I do not have one.  I would really be curious to see if it would raise the CO level in a confined space.  Maybe someone here could test it.

I'll try to get with the FD and borrow their high tech CO detector to see if I can get tiny readings that my homeowner grade detector can't read.  

Still, after this test, I'm pretty confident that propane lanterns (at least the one I own) does not produce a significant level of CO.

I don't know if you have much experience with propane lanterns but they get HOT.  Don't know if that would burn off CO or not but they certainly DON'T burn cool!!

You seem to feel that kerosene/lamp oil lamps are ok to use inside but propane is not.  I really don't understand that because there is NO way that kerosene/lamp oil produces LESS CO than propane.  I am certain that propane produces some CO but unlikely to produce more than liquid fuels.  Definately not the "massive" amount of CO that you feel that propane lanterns produce.

One day when I build my dream house, I"m going to put in a few gas lights in places throughout the house and tapped into the house propane supply.  That would give me a light source during power outages without using the generator for lights.
Link Posted: 9/11/2008 6:54:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Most of the Amish that I know, unless they have gas lamps, use Aladdins. I have a good friend that lives with no electricity and that is what he uses too after trying regular wick type lamps for several years, he is much happier with the Aladdins. Pretty well considerd to be the best lamp and would be my choice if are thinking about using them for an extended amount of time.
...If you are just looking for a lamp for when the electric goes out for a few hours then maybe you wouldn't really "need" an Aladdin and an old oil lamp that you pick up at the Flea Market for $10 will serve you well enough. I have my grandfathers old B&O railroad lantern  for such times.....Todd
Link Posted: 9/11/2008 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/11/2008 11:29:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#36]

Actually I have three of them, have for years, and been my preference for years over the liquid fuel Coleman.  

Its simply not a preference for an indoor light.  

Heck, I even lived in a house with gas lights too, but then I have also known many people to get CO poisoning from continued long exposure to non-vented gas flames for years too.  

I'll take one more stab at this for the readers since you have already made up your mind.

The normal CO in air is approximately 1 ppm.  That's parts per million the standard for measuring CO.  The average house can be about 5 ppm.  Add a properly vented or indoor rated gas device like a heater it jumps up to 15 ppm on average.  

Its generally considered exposure of 70 ppm to 100 ppm for a short period can be detrimental to your health, therefore the UL standard for CO detectors is 70-100 ppms.  The exhaust on a car is about 7,000 ppms.

If you look at your test parameters if I read that right, one would assume its safe to be in a closed car in garage with a Coleman lantern going.  

Generally prolonged exposure to CO at levels of below 30 ppm is considered safe from detrimental health concerns for all people.  Prolonged exposure of levels above 30 ppm but less than 70 ppm, it really depends on the person.  Oddly enough an average US Co detector would go off outside in Mexico city.  I'm pretty certain those who live there have grown pretty use to those levels of CO but most Americans will be feeling pretty crappy due to the air quality in short order.  

Its good to keep in mind that not everyone who experiences CO poisoning is going to die.  Other symptoms are headaches, lethargy, joint pain, and shortness of breath.  What it comes down to is 0-15 ppms a person should have zero symptoms from CO, over 70 ppms a person will most likely have or even die, and in the range of 30-70 ppms depending on who you are you may have symptoms but not considered fatal.  Usually its tired all the time but in some cases frequent  head aches.  

Indoor gas lights are most often compared to standard wire filament electric bulb, the household bulb.  They are typically held to 70 watts as an industry standard or about 900 lumen.  The Coleman lantern is just about twice that output at 1600 lumens.  When looking at CO output, one should look at fuel efficiency to get there as well.  Propane is about 93K btu and Kerosene is 135K btu per gallon.  When you consider a Coleman propane lantern can put out 1600 lumen compared to around an avg of 120 lumen for a typical capillary lantern/lamp besides a heck of light output difference its both a heck of a fuel consumption and potential for CO difference.

This is why Coleman does not rate any of its flame lanterns for indoor use.  The litigation potential is simply too high for their products.

This is also why I go out my way to find single burner Coleman lanterns rather than dual burner.   The dual burners, we tend to turn down due to how much light they put out and that contributes due to lower heat how much CO they put out.  

I hope you can see a CO detector can save your life but as a measure of prolonged exposure potential to CO poisoning one needs to measure ppms. Kind of think of it as a smoker is use to higher CO levels and non-smoker smoking the first time kind of thing.  

Some of the better CO detectors have rough indicators on them of CO levels.  I personally think it is well worth the extra cost for one can simply by glancing at them regularly tell if their CO levels are increasing.  The nearer that bar is to the red the higher the potential for prolonged exposure health issues.  

Tj

Actually I used a homeowner grade detector that has a digital reading.  It didn't read anything.

The reason for the exhaust pipe test was to show that the detector was working properly.  Since I didn't get ANY reading, I wanted to see if it was working.

So what do you use for interior light when the power is out?

Oh and thanks for the sarcasm.

This is supposed to be a technical forum.
Link Posted: 9/11/2008 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/11/2008 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#38]

Honestly mainly LED lanterns/lamps.  I don't break out the fuel stuff of any sort for indoors  unless the power is going out for a long period of time or heck we just want them for mood.

Its just so easy to flip a button and we haven't had a really long outage here since 1993.

Outdoors now, I use truck camping the Coleman propane, hiking LED mini lanterns, and on my boat a combination of LED lighting and storm lantern.  I fill the storm lantern with citronella which works great for bugs the way the boat is laid out.  During winter we use a yacht lamp with liquid paraffin down below for both lighting and heat.  Closed up in a watertight boat cabin you really learn to appreciate liquid paraffin over lamp oil and especially kerosene.  Funky mouth in the morning is not fun.

The oil lamps we break out mainly in winter just to get some time on them and set a nice room atmosphere.  I do use these almost exclusively in my camper but don't spend as much time in that since we built the house and cabin.   I have a wall hanger in there which puts out plenty of light to see in the camper and heats it up a tad in winter.    

Tj

Understood and thanks.  Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the fuel burning lights.

I really don't like depending on battery dependent lights for long term power outages.  After looking at the oil lamps and the propane lights, I plan to put propane powered lights permanently mounted in my future dream house in the event of long term power outages.  We were without power for 7 days in 2007 and some long burning light would have been nice.  I would never sleep with it on though!!

I still want to get a light like the britelyte or an Aladdin style lamp.  Would be neat to have but I might stock up on lamp oil instead of kero.  I do like the idea of the citronella oil for use outdoors.  I've used it in tiki torches and it does work.

I will still do an enclosed test with a kero/oil type lantern when I get one to see if the CO buildup amounts to anything.  Based on my limited test, I don't believe that the CO threat in a house....even a tight house....would be an issue especially if people were going in and out of the house.
Link Posted: 9/11/2008 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#39]
CO can be a slow acting poison...  its not gonna hit ya up side the head and lay ya out.

But I did grow up in a house that had no electricity and used Alladin lamps and Humphreys gas lights and I am still here...  altho maybe a little more brain dead than I might have been altho I always blammed that on the alcohol in college.

THere are a couple things you need to do to keep things safe.  Allow for more ventilation than you might normally have....  even if you have to let some valuable heat escape in the winter.  Keep lamps on high so they burn hot.  Be careful with the Alladins because the flame level might increase as they get hot.  If the mantel or chimney is showing any signs of soot it is too high.  Keep wicks trimmed to avoid smoking.

We bought kero by the 55 gallon drum so lamp oil would not have worked for us.  We never got below 4 drums of kero in the garage.  But we set up a little filtration system and filtered the lamp oil thru charcoal to make it cleaner.  The kitchen stove and the bathroom stove just burned kero right from the drum, but that had its own chimney.  

The flat wick kind are ok for survival lighting, but the Alladins are better for normal living light levels.

Link Posted: 9/11/2008 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Thank you ColtRifle for starting this thread and TomJefferson for moderating an amazing amount of information. I hope after the thread slows down that it will be archived. If someone had the time, there's enough good info, FAQ, etc., to be edited into a great little reference piece.

Yeah, (head down, hands in pockets and kicking the dirt) I'll admit to buying a lamp and six lanterns after reading through the thread. Anybody else own up new purchases . . . ?
Link Posted: 9/11/2008 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By Country_Boy:
TJ (and others,)

Where do you buy your liquid parafin?

You can buy it at Walmart were the furniture stuff is.  In the same isle the oil lamps are.

Can also be picked up at any major retailer. Kmart, Target, home depo, and the like.
Link Posted: 9/12/2008 9:02:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OpusXKC] [#42]
This thread is quite informative and very convincing. I had wanted an oil lamp for a while, not just because of an emergency, but because I find them to be quite nice. So based on the info here I bought an Aladdin with a #23 burner. Can't wait to give it a whirl.
Link Posted: 9/12/2008 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#43]
I appreciate the thread folks.  I found an old glass based lamp when we moved last year that I'm going to buy some new 5/8" wicks for and some liquid parafin.  We've had the power go out at our new place quite a few times in the last year, and that never happened at the old place.  Would be nice to have a decent way to illuminate the room since we read a lot.  

Thanks again for all the info.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2008 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By Tenifer19:
Yeah, (head down, hands in pockets and kicking the dirt) I'll admit to buying a lamp and six lanterns after reading through the thread. Anybody else own up new purchases . . . ?

Guilty, as charged.

I just bought one of these, but with a clear globe. I liked the look of it better than the Bright Galvanized one. Something that confuses me is the shipping weight of the one I bought says it is 4#, & the Bright Galvanized one is 3#. They are the same lantern except for the color, as far as I can see, right?

Link Posted: 9/12/2008 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By OpusXKC:
This thread is quite informative and very convincing. I had wanted an oil lamp for a while, not just because of an emergency, but because I find them to be quite nice. So based on the info here I bought an Aladdin with a #23 burner. Can't wait to give it a whirl.

Give us a review with pics!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2008 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

Originally Posted By OpusXKC:

Give us a review with pics!!

First I have to get it in the mail. I just won it on the eBay, so it will be a couple days.

I did also find out that you can buy mantles, wicks, and chimneys from Ace Hardware. I called my local shop to see if they carried these items, and they do, so I think I'll be set.
Link Posted: 9/24/2008 7:57:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wshbrngr] [#47]
Well, I was walking through an old ACE hardware/feed store down here in South Texas and stumbled across 2 Aladdin table lamps, in their boxes.
They were marked $34.50 ea.

Based on what I had read here, I bought both of them.
Some of the packing materials used were pieces of a Nashville newspaper dated April 15, 1975 so I figure they have been in the store for a while. They were high on a shelf covered in dust. (I saw the Aladdin name and if I had not read this post, I would not have had any idea what they were).

They did not include very much documentation or instructions, but they appear to be Model B-139, aluminum body with white lampshades.

The mantles and the burners have instructions in their boxes.

Anyone know how long the mantles and the wicks last?

Thanks for any help.

Link Posted: 9/24/2008 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By wshbrngr:
Well, I was walking through an old ACE hardware/feed store down here in South Texas and stumbled across 2 Aladdin table lamps, in their boxes.
They were marked $34.50 ea.

Based on what I had read here, I bought both of them.
Some of the packing materials used were pieces of a Nashville newspaper dated April 15, 1975 so I figure they have been in the store for a while. They were high on a shelf covered in dust. (I saw the Aladdin name and if I had not read this post, I would not have had any idea what they were).

They did not include very much documentation or instructions, but they appear to be Model B-139, aluminum body with white lampshades.

The mantles and the burners have instructions in their boxes.

Anyone know how long the mantles and the wicks last?

Thanks for any help.

Wow.... thats a trophy!

Are the lampshades paper?

The mantles and wicks will last a very long time.... like years with a lot of use.  The wicks can gum up if left in kero and unused for very long periods of time.  If kero has a chance to evaporate whats left behind is like a gummy varnish.  Once you burn off the mantle treat it gently and dont let it flare up and get all sooty.  If it does get away from you, turn it down low and let it burn for a while and the soot will burn off.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 9/24/2008 8:57:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wshbrngr] [#49]
Yes, the lampshades are paper/parchment. I see that aladdin still sells all the parts including the shades. (One of the shades has a water stain on it.
What do you expect, they have been sitting for about 33yrs or so.

Its funny, one of the boxes has water damage but the lampshade is fine (Thats the one I opened at the store), the other box looked fine, but after I pulled everything out at home, I found the stain.

The box also says the lampshades are white, but they have yellowed a bit due to age.
The lamps themselves look pristene.

I figure they are not overly collectible being aluminum, not brass. But my wife has fallen in love with them.

Just reading things on the net, I got the impression that they burn through fuel fast and the mantles need to be replaced frequently. Not so?

ETA: Would the aladdin lamp oil be better than kerosene?
Link Posted: 9/24/2008 10:59:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top