Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2020 12:07:43 AM EDT
This is going to be my wife's wheel gun she is small not that experience at shooting that's going to change.

I'm looking for a good bullet weight for a 357 mag for hogs not a hunting round more of an SD round I know I can't go full power with it at first maybe down the line once she gets used to it?

I cast my own bullets so I'm looking for a good cast to buy in the chosen weight. That's why I'm asking here I know shot placement is key! Yet when you are scared it does not always happen. Why I plan on getting a reflex sight for her also for the wheel gun. She shoots better with one anyway.

Not like she is going to be shooting hogs every day or even once a week/ month she may never have to but want her to have the ammo so just in case she can.

Thanks for the advice!

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 2:02:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I see several problems with this line of thought.  First if its really a self defense round Winchester Silvertip 145 gr  Like This  or Barnes  140 gr Like This   is what you want for a .357 self defense gun  They penetrate well and expand well.  

Dangerous Game is hunted with large heavy bullets that penetrate deeply that leaves out all of my handguns except the 45-70.  Honestly I'd rather see her using something with a lot more ammo . Pistols don't stop stuff instantly like a heavy caliber rife might, and hogs are tough.  I put holes in several with a 30 carbine.... not knocking any of them down.  I'd rather see you put her behind something like a  AR or AK based  300 BLK pistol or 7.62x39 pistol its a whole different level of energy transfer and a lot more ammo capacity.  There are lots of guys that hunt hogs with 300BLK running heavy subsonic and suppressors.  
Pick her defense tool solely for that purpose.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I have shot and killed hogs with my 357 2.5" model 66-2. Bullets used were both Hornady 158 grain XTP and Oregon Trail RNFP 158 grain silver alloy cast bullets made to feed in leveractioss. Both worked well from about 50' as the hogs dropped dead right there.

Muzzle blast was more than I cared for so I went 4"
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I have killed a few pigs with my Ruger GP100 with both the 125 gr and the 158 gr XTP as well as Remington 158 gr jacketed hollow points. My suggestion is use what she shoots best even if it's .38 Special loaded 125 gr bullets until she gets better with her pistol. Personally I'd rather see her carry a good 1022 that she can drive nails with than a pistol. Or get her a Marlin lever gun in .357 they work pretty good at close range on piggies.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have killed a few pigs with my Ruger GP100 with both the 125 gr and the 158 gr XTP as well as Remington 158 gr jacketed hollow points. My suggestion is use what she shoots best even if it's .38 Special loaded 125 gr bullets until she gets better with her pistol. Personally I'd rather see her carry a good 1022 that she can drive nails with than a pistol. Or get her a Marlin lever gun in .357 they work pretty good at close range on piggies.
View Quote

I wanted to get her a rifle even an AR-15 pistol but she feels its to cumbersome for her since if she is going outdoors she is going to be working or taking the dogs out for a walk.

She wants something light compact 4 inch barrel holds 6+ rounds I did look at the mares leg but they are close to $1,000+ now.

I'm looking to get her a Ruger Security 6 and she does like a few Taurus that she has held.

I hear you about the 38 spl rounds that's why we are getting a 357 mag as she wants double action and I like that we can use lighter rounds with it. If she did not want the double action I'd just gone for what I'm going to carry 45 LC. I know they have them but boy do they cost a lot and are hard to find.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I wanted to get her a rifle even an AR-15 pistol but she feels its to cumbersome for her since if she is going outdoors she is going to be working or taking the dogs out for a walk.

She wants something light compact 4 inch barrel holds 6+ rounds I did look at the mares leg but they are close to $1,000+ now.

I'm looking to get her a Ruger Security 6 and she does like a few Taurus that she has held.

I hear you about the 38 spl rounds that's why we are getting a 357 mag as she wants double action and I like that we can use lighter rounds with it. If she did not want the double action I'd just gone for what I'm going to carry 45 LC. I know they have them but boy do they cost a lot and are hard to find.
View Quote

I think once you get her the pistol then you get you the Rifle and let her shoot it she will warm up to it. Who knows you may wind up with two Marlins.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot 158s and 180s out of 357 (pistol) on hogs. If you put them in the right place (neck) they drop right there. Been working on my marlin 1894cst with 158grn 38s and my suppressor, very quiet but haven’t taken a hog with it yet.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe consider a 10mm semi auto handgun? Similar ballistics and more capacity.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Maybe consider a 10mm semi auto handgun? Similar ballistics and more capacity.
View Quote

For a 5'2 110 lbs female? Also wheel gun as it's also going to be used for snake rounds. A wheel gun would make it easier for her to shoot 3 snake rounds then the hog rounds. Magazine change would take longer and there is a lot to mess up when under pressure then just squeezing the trigger!
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think once you get her the pistol then you get you the Rifle and let her shoot it she will warm up to it. Who knows you may wind up with two Marlins.
View Quote

I have a 300blk AR-15 pistol 10 or 60 round clip why would I go to a lever action?

I do want a lever action because it was the 1860's version of a battle rifle! Not for hogs. She wants a wheel gun because it's small compact can use snake loads and hog loads.

She wants something that she can maneuver in the brush not has on her back if she is working. With the brush I have if I go into the thick of it I'd want a pistol also.

AR-15 pistol is also good but kind of bulky even with the 10 round mag. Also can't use snake rounds with it so that's out. Mares leg would be nice but not at the price they are at now!
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#10]
With rattle snakes, you have time on your side to index the cylinder to the snake loads.  With a charging hog, you do not have that luxury.  I think that you need to change the strategy of loading the revolver.

For choice of loading, I'd look at at 140 to 158 grain semi-wadcutter cast out of 3 to five percent tin to lead alloy, and load to about 900 ft/s.  This should be a light enough load for control, while giving enough expansion and penetration.  With the proper choice of powder it should not lead either. If you powder coat, it won't lead no matter what you do, but I still like my various wax based bullet lubes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top