Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2021 4:46:42 PM EDT
It was archived, so here's the content. Please don't quote this post. I will make another reply with some new content...

Pg 1:
[ARCHIVED THREAD] - QSL Cards - General Info, Etiquette, Preferences, Sources (Page 1 of 3)

Posted: 4/15/2021 7:05:51 AM EDT
I searched thread titles and found none on this topic. Sorry if a dupe.

As a total newbie, and seeing that there a quite a few others on here, I thought a thread about QSL cards might be helpful.

Sending these cards via the postal service seems like a sort of old-fashioned and charming thing to do. I would like to continue the tradition. Hopefully, this thread will help me and others know what to do. Will start off with some questions and then the thread will go in the direction it chooses.

1. When do you send a QSL card? Every contact? Only certain "special ones"? How do you define that? Are there rules?

2. A duckduckgo search reveals a number of outfits that claim to supply printed QSL cards. Where do you get yours, and are there vendors to avoid? Or, do you make your own?

3. Electronic QSL cards? (These don't seem anywhere near as cool, but maybe you can persuade me)

4. What else is there to know about QSL cards that I haven't asked?

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:49:05 AM EDT
I only send them when asked or if I receive them. It gets expensive to send them with every contact.

They're just post cards. So I make mine on VistaPrint and buy them there.

I've gotten a couple eQSL cards. Definitely saves on money. But if I'm gonna send or get, I'd rather a paper card. The eQSL "cards" just aren't the same.

It's completely optional and quite honestly out of the contacts I've made while on HF in the last 6 months, I've gotten maybe 10-15 cards. Being in POTA, I get near triple digits per activation sometimes. I'm not sure, but I think most hams see it as archaic. I think it's neat and send some every now and again. But not all the time. At .50 a pop, that gets pricey fast if you're on HF a lot.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:57:52 AM EDT
QSL Cards  Sending and Receiving Paper Gems

I QSL via Log Book of the World as most people chasing ARRL awards prefer LoTW for electronic confirmation for DXCC, WAS, VUCC, and etc. I do have paper cards and will send them if requested.

Postage costs are the main reason I use exclusively use LoTW for the ARRL award programs.

It would have been cost prohibited on postage and printing costs for nearly 16,000 QSL's I've sent out over the past 30 years. YMMV

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:00:21 AM EDT
1. I am not a contester so I send QSL cards only on HF for just about every contact and for contacts with special event stations.
http://www.arrl.org/special-event-stations
Special event stations will also send you a card back and in many cases a cool certificate to hang on your shack wall.

Look up a contact on qrz.com and it will show if they will send a QSL card back or not.

2. I use Curt Merriman Printing:  https://www.qslworks.com/
I used one of his retro styles instead of designing my own:

3. Never heard of them.

4. They are fun to collect and make a great display on the shack wall.
Hams spend thousands on a single radio but complain about pennies in postage for a card,
I can somewhat understand as I am not a contester so my QSL card volume is not very high so the costs aren't going to break me.

Hams are in the hobby for different reasons, some for contests, some for more casual involvement and some just for the cards.

Ham radio to me is a form of emergency communication when other methods are down.
I practice on emergency nets mostly, as well as casual chats.
I see Ham as "EMCOMM" so the introduction of the Internet (highly vulnerable) into the hobby
never made much sense to me anyway. I was first licensed before the Internet
Plus I am a Network Engineer and in no way want my hobby to include any form of my daily job.
Sort of like why the cobbler's kids have no shoes!

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:58:36 AM EDT
I send them when recieved or when I have a meaningful QSO, or when i want a card from that location.  Lots of 599 KY QSOs and i dont want to necessarily get a card just to have one.  I always get stamps for Christmas gifts.  I have printed my own cards and have a stack from cheapqsls.com
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:04:08 PM EDT
While I'm new at this my experience has been a couple of the nets I have participated in. The early morning rednecks (3.947) at 4a CST Sundays are a rather old school bunch and my first couple times checking in went un noticed on qrz but the 3rd time I received 37 cards in the mail over a couple weeks from almost the entire net. No one ever acknowledged anything electronically but they all seemed quite happy I responded in kind and returned cards.
Most always though qrz is almost immediate and when I export to lotw there will be a 2nd glut of confirmations so I have learned to complete all that stuff and sync same day.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:08:58 PM EDT
Times have changed and how QSL cards are exchanged have changed as well.  Years ago there was an "If You Send Me One I'll Send You One" philosophy about them.  They were something most of us enjoyed receiving and cherished them when we got them.  These days it appears people are doing their best to make a profit from them.  I see a lot of people on QRZ especially asking for $3 to $5 for a QSL card and that ain't gonna happen.  Maybe for a DXpedition since they normally have a lot of costs from the trip but just a guy somewhere, no way.  Even stateside people are saying that if you want a QSL include an SASE with your card.

I still live by the original philosophy in that if someone sends me a card I send them one back.  If they include postage I'll return it.  I also post every QSO to WRZ, LoTW, and eQSL.  I have an electronic version of my regular card on eQSL that gets sent to everyone that confirms a contact there.  LoTW is simply a database with no image exchange and I think QRZ is the same way (at least I've never gotten a card image from anyone there).

1.  Your choice.  I only send them to special stations I really want a card from.  Some DX stations although most of that is electronic for me these days.  Special Event Stations, people I've met and then worked on the air.  It depends.

2.  I got mine from WX9X but they are out of business.  I Still have several hundred though so I'm probably good for a long while.  QRZ has a list of people who print cards.  Some of them are out of business, some of the links are dead, but some of them have some really nice looking cards.  The list is Here (scroll down to QSL Printers).  This company (click here) has some really nice ones.  Take a look at his "Premium" QSL Cards.

3.  Some of them are scans of photographs or "Regular" QSL cards.  Others are pretty plain.  I've gotten about 500 of them and have to admit that I'm jealous of several.

4.  As mentioned above there is the postage thing or people trying to monetize the exchange of QSLs.  If they expect cash and you don't send it you've probably just wasted a card and postage.  Use QRZ to look up their call and see what their page there says if you have an interest in exchanging cards with someone.  You may get disappointed.

You also didn't mention the QSL Bureaus.  Many countries have incoming and outgoing bureaus that handle QSL cards.  A hams sends his outgoing cards to the bureau where they are sorted and [eventually] a batch is sent to the appropriate bureau in the destination country.  It's relatively cheap but a lot of DX stations say they don't get their cards so don't use the bureau (some of these are the same ones asking for $5 to send a card).  It also takes a long time to get a response.  Don't expect anything for about a year.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:43:46 PM EDT
Yeah the ones who want cash crack me up. Sorry, no. I'm not sending you money for a qsl card.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:01:43 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I send them when recieved or when I have a meaningful QSO, or when i want a card from that location.  Lots of 599 KY QSOs and i dont want to necessarily get a card just to have one.  I always get stamps for Christmas gifts.  I have printed my own cards and have a stack from cheapqsls.com

I used them.   very reasonable and I got their thicker cards.   very pleased.

i am a newb too.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:18:59 PM EDT
My wife designed my qsl card in photoshop and had them printed at Zazzle on heavy card stock. I send them to people I want to have them, not to get one in return.

I log every contact and upload immediately to LOTW. I'll return a qsl card to anyone who sends me one, which is pretty rare.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:28:16 PM EDT
I use LOTW and am also registered on Club Log which enables someone to request a card for a confirmed contact.  Not interested to date in Eqsl or QRZ.com as the only awards I am interested in DXCC and WAS. If someone requests a QRZ confirmation I will confirm via QRZ. I will send an sase or use paypal to get a card for an confirmed location. If I receive a card via the bureau, I will return a card via the bureau. I use cards with simple designs using free software found on the web and print them on my printer using card stock. I get dozens of cards from Japan via the bureau, even from stations that have confirmed through LOTW. If I receive a card I will send a card.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:21:25 PM EDT
I reply to mailed ones, well not since getting my vanity call... I want to move and I'm cheap (there I admitted it)

I do QRZ, LOTW, EQSL, and ClubLog (even though I cannot figure ClubLog out, it matches my LOTW and confirms, then they are unconfirmed the next time).. I don't want people to miss out on whatever their goal might be searching the airwaves, so I try to keep up.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:50:25 PM EDT
I send a card:

- when someone asks me
- after an interesting conversation
- if I want a card back
- when someone sends me on and asks for one back

My cards are kinda unusual.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:46:25 PM EDT

Heh this was the most recent one I got. My wife opened it lol.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:53:30 PM EDT
I used https://www.photoqsls.com/ a few weeks ago.  Lee is awesome to deal with and easy to work with.  Less than a week from order to getting them and nicely done.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:54:00 PM EDT
Quoted:
Attachment Attached File

Heh this was the most recent one I got. My wife opened it lol.

Whoa, who dat
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 6:49:48 AM EDT
Quoted:

Whoa, who dat

Pretty sure that is not the license holder, possibly, who knows anything these days?

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:17:07 PM EDT
Quoted:
My wife designed my qsl card in photoshop and had them printed at Zazzle on heavy card stock. I send them to people I want to have them, not to get one in return.

I log every contact and upload immediately to LOTW. I'll return a qsl card to anyone who sends me one, which is pretty rare.
View Quote

I might have to try zazzle. I did something similar for a small number of cards with Photoshop and just getting 4x6 prints made then cutting them to size on a paper cutter. Made special cards for the handful of cards received for field day and state QSO party operations.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:47:43 PM EDT
Quoted:
I send a card:

- when someone asks me
- if I want a card back

View Quote

Pretty much this.

I can see $1-3 postage in most cases. That's fairly reasonable. Postage in some places is high.

A few places have incredibly high postal rates. IIRC Iran is OVER 10 USD! People that live there often (but not always) have a QSL manager somewhere else where postage is reasonable. They email their QSL manager their QSOs and you QSL through the manager.

Most Cubans have Spanish QSL managers for some reason.

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:21:57 PM EDT
Quoted:
I searched thread titles and found none on this topic. Sorry if a dupe.

As a total newbie, and seeing that there a quite a few others on here, I thought a thread about QSL cards might be helpful.

Sending these cards via the postal service seems like a sort of old-fashioned and charming thing to do. I would like to continue the tradition. Hopefully, this thread will help me and others know what to do. Will start off with some questions and then the thread will go in the direction it chooses.

1. When do you send a QSL card? Every contact? Only certain "special ones"? How do you define that? Are there rules?

2. A duckduckgo search reveals a number of outfits that claim to supply printed QSL cards. Where do you get yours, and are there vendors to avoid? Or, do you make your own?

3. Electronic QSL cards? (These don't seem anywhere near as cool, but maybe you can persuade me)

4. What else is there to know about QSL cards that I haven't asked?

View Quote

1. I send a QSL card to all Arfcommers on our first QSO, but not subsequent ones. When I was T6EC, I QSL'ed 100% unless they expressly said no QSL, since Afghanistan is so rare. I also will send a QSL to anyone who sends me one, and requests one back, no SASE needed.

2. I used http://qslpostcards.com/ for both of my call signs as he does make nice cards and they're postcards so I don't need to mess with envelopes.

3. I do log on QRZ.com and upload to ARRL's LOTW.

4. Members here have some cool one's of their own as well as ones they have received. My favorite I the one Derek has from the old timer that started out on a Model T spark gap transmitter.

Both of mine.

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:23:22 AM EDT
Quoted:
Times have changed and how QSL cards are exchanged have changed as well.  Years ago there was an "If You Send Me One I'll Send You One" philosophy about them.  They were something most of us enjoyed receiving and cherished them when we got them.  These days it appears people are doing their best to make a profit from them.  I see a lot of people on QRZ especially asking for $3 to $5 for a QSL card and that ain't gonna happen.  Maybe for a DXpedition since they normally have a lot of costs from the trip but just a guy somewhere, no way.  Even stateside people are saying that if you want a QSL include an SASE with your card.

I still live by the original philosophy in that if someone sends me a card I send them one back.  If they include postage I'll return it.  I also post every QSO to WRZ, LoTW, and eQSL.  I have an electronic version of my regular card on eQSL that gets sent to everyone that confirms a contact there.  LoTW is simply a database with no image exchange and I think QRZ is the same way (at least I've never gotten a card image from anyone there).

1.  Your choice.  I only send them to special stations I really want a card from.  Some DX stations although most of that is electronic for me these days.  Special Event Stations, people I've met and then worked on the air.  It depends.

2.  I got mine from WX9X but they are out of business.  I Still have several hundred though so I'm probably good for a long while.  QRZ has a list of people who print cards.  Some of them are out of business, some of the links are dead, but some of them have some really nice looking cards.  The list is Here (scroll down to QSL Printers).  This company (click here) has some really nice ones.  Take a look at his "Premium" QSL Cards.

3.  Some of them are scans of photographs or "Regular" QSL cards.  Others are pretty plain.  I've gotten about 500 of them and have to admit that I'm jealous of several.

4.  As mentioned above there is the postage thing or people trying to monetize the exchange of QSLs.  If they expect cash and you don't send it you've probably just wasted a card and postage.  Use QRZ to look up their call and see what their page there says if you have an interest in exchanging cards with someone.  You may get disappointed.

You also didn't mention the QSL Bureaus.  Many countries have incoming and outgoing bureaus that handle QSL cards.  A hams sends his outgoing cards to the bureau where they are sorted and [eventually] a batch is sent to the appropriate bureau in the destination country.  It's relatively cheap but a lot of DX stations say they don't get their cards so don't use the bureau (some of these are the same ones asking for $5 to send a card).  It also takes a long time to get a response.  Don't expect anything for about a year.
View Quote

I don't remember exactly now, but I probably have $7 or more total in my Easter Island QSL card.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:26:17 AM EDT
Quoted:

I don't remember exactly now, but I probably have $7 or more total in my Easter Island QSL card.

I might have 50 cents in mine.  CE0AE had a stateside QSL manager.

I don't mind paying extra for something special but I'm not going to pay for mundane, everyday QSL's.

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:26:34 PM EDT
I will chase an ATNO with a passion!

One guy in a SW Pacific said on his Zed page mail theft was killing him and the likelyhood of even getting a card was minus six.

I emailed him "Hold my beer and watch this AND warn your wife if you have one."

I got my card and he was amazed it got through.

Pink envelope, girly lavender ink addressed, big lipstick kiss and soaked in stripper cheap perfume.

He emailed me and said when he got it he knew what it was and had his wife open it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:28:15 PM EDT
Quoted:
I will chase an ATNO with a passion!

One guy in a SW Pacific said on his Zed page mail theft was killing him and the likelyhood of even getting a card was minus six.

I emailed him "Hold my beer and watch this AND warn your wife if you have one."

I got my card and he was amazed it got through.

Pink envelope, girly lavender ink addressed, big lipstick kiss and soaked in stripper cheap perfume.

He emailed me and said when he got it he knew what it was and had his wife open it.

View Quote

Can confirm.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 6:10:13 AM EDT
ATNO?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:17:53 AM EDT
Quoted:
ATNO?

ATNO = All Time New One

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:01:12 AM EDT
Quoted:

ATNO = All Time New One

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:14:15 PM EDT
Quoted:

Those who chase DX reach a point where finding one they haven't worked before is difficult and, since so many others are chasing them to, more difficult to make a contact with.  When you do make a contact with an "ATNO" it's a reason for celebration.

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:30:34 PM EDT
Ah. Got it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:19:48 PM EDT
Am working on getting my own QSL cards. I've been working with one of the people mentioned earlier, and that has been going really well. Once I have the cards in my hands and can evaluate the quality, I'll post who I used.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:29:11 PM EDT
The first QSL card I received after upgrading to General was made by Jim Massara of Hamtoons. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. A professional cartoonist that makes QSL cards. I had the same guy make mine. There are quite a few Arfcommers that have one. I'll send one to every member of this forum that I make contact with. I don't think he does it anymore, but he does very good work.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:35:01 PM EDT
@Emoto

I went back and saw that you were the one that heard me griping about my crappy antenna on 20 meters on Tuesday. If you hear me again ask Gyprat if you can call me, I'm sure he would allow it. If not I could hang around until after the net. I'd be happy to send you a card.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:31:17 PM EDT
I recently returned to ham radio after a long time away from it. I got new QSL cards right away.

I got to break them in on the 11th. During that GA QSO Party I made a couple of contacts, and sent both of them cards.

I received one in return the other day, and was excited since it was my first card in over a decade.

The other contact did the thing on QRZ.com, so I'm not sure if I'll get an actual physical card from him.

For those who haven't used QRZ, it's pretty interesting. When you log in the contact, it tells you exactly how far you were apart, and the beam headings back and forth.

It's convenient, and it saves time and money opposed to sending actual cards. I still like the cards, though.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:44:25 PM EDT
Quoted:
I recently returned to ham radio after a long time away from it. I got new QSL cards right away.

I got to break them in on the 11th. During that GA QSO Party I made a couple of contacts, and sent both of them cards.

I received one in return the other day, and was excited since it was my first card in over a decade.

The other contact did the thing on QRZ.com, so I'm not sure if I'll get an actual physical card from him.

For those who haven't used QRZ, it's pretty interesting. When you log in the contact, it tells you exactly how far you were apart, and the beam headings back and forth.

It's convenient, and it saves time and money opposed to sending actual cards. I still like the cards, though.

View Quote

You might want to check out eQSL (www.eqsl.cc).  They are similar to the other online services but different in that members can create a QSL card for free from a number of designs they already have prepared or upload their own if you subscribe to the membership (I don't remember what it is for a year but it's not much).  If another ham uploads a contact with you then you automatically get an image of their card.  If you aren't a member, when you join they scan their databases for previous contacts you have made.  When I joined I think I had about 150 QSL "Cards" already there ;)

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:34:05 AM EDT
Quoted:
@Emoto

I went back and saw that you were the one that heard me griping about my crappy antenna on 20 meters on Tuesday. If you hear me again ask Gyprat if you can call me, I'm sure he would allow it. If not I could hang around until after the net. I'd be happy to send you a card.
View Quote

@Ohio_Sharkman

Sounds like fun. I will happily reciprocate once my cards show up, which should be in 10 days or so. We could wait for after the net, or any time, really.

ETA: I like the old school aspect of paper cards and intend to carry on that tradition to the extent I am able.

Listening last night, I did find QRZ.com's call sign lookup to be quite valuable because it also returned info on canadians I was hearing, from New Brunswick and Ontario.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:37:08 PM EDT
Quoted:
@Emoto

View Quote

@Emoto  @Ohio_Sharkman
All you have to do is say - Break! at any time and then ask for a quick informal with ...........  End 19:37. All time is UTC (a.k.a GMT, Zulu etc.)
Arrow Left Previous PagePage
/ 3Next Page Arrow Left
[ARCHIVED THREAD] - QSL Cards - General Info, Etiquette, Preferences, Sources (Page 1 of 3)
ARCHIVED

Posted: 5/1/2021 2:21:06 PM EDT
Quoted:
Am working on getting my own QSL cards. I've been working with one of the people mentioned earlier, and that has been going really well. Once I have the cards in my hands and can evaluate the quality, I'll post who I used.

My QSL cards arrived via UPS today, and they look great! The quality of the card stock, printing, and cutting is excellent, and the packing box was robust.

This is who I used: https://www.kb3ifhqslcards.com/

I supplied my own photo for the front, and took some of his back side designs and tweaked them around until I was satisfied, then sent that to him (Randy). He took what I did and added a couple of really nice small flourishes that I wouldn't have thought of. He sends a PDF proof to approve before going to print. The whole experience was great, and I recommend him as a good person to do business with.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:50:49 PM EDT

1. not always.
not much anymore.
if asked, I will send one.  If it's DX, especially rare DX, I'll try to get one, even if it takes a few bucks.

2. I make them here -- http://www.radioqth.net/qslcards  I made a bunch up a few years ago with my M1 Garand on them. Many ARFROM hams got them.
this pic...

3.  Lotw is the standard, some say it's too hard to setup, but even a caveman like me can do it. eQSL is  ghay and full of BS QSO's

4. ARRL. QSL service  "Bureau" aka "buro"

http://www.arrl.org/qsl-service  It's fun to get a big envelope of DX cards, even if they are from common lands like Germany, and Italy.

here's some examples of some colorful ones I've got.
worked the ISS space station on an FT7900 mobile, driving to the rifle range to shoot Garands

My very first QSO, 10m SSB, right after I opened the letter with my new callsign. ( just a pup back then )

back when I was trying to pass my 13wmp CW test, I worked this old timer.

I forced myself to call CQ on 40m CQ to get my speed up.

worked this one twice with my TARHEEL II and FT-857 mobile (10m & 12M)

ARFCOM'er Piccolo

Almost all of these were worked with a modest 100 watt station and dipoles or trap vertical antennas.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:51:47 PM EDT
Quoted:
I send a card:

- when someone asks me
- if I want a card back

View Quote

@Brundoggie

Your card is one of the coolest ones I've ever received.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:59:29 PM EDT
For those wondering about my card, what makes it unique is that it is made from Hawaiian Koa wood.

The QSO info is on the other side.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:08:11 PM EDT
Quoted:
For those wondering about my card, what makes it unique is that it is made from Hawaiian Koa wood.

Attachment Attached File

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:34:32 AM EDT
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

View Quote

BEST QSL I ever received!!!

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:31:52 AM EDT
I just stumbled into making an error, so will detail that so other newbies might avoid the same mistake.

I recently had a nice QSO with a guy in Tripoli, Lebanon, which was pretty cool. Naturally, I was curious about getting a paper QSL card from him. On his QRZ page, it said (I have removed details to avoid finger pointing):

Please QSL direct  only to:
Name Name-Call Sign
123 Street Address
City, State, USA Zipcode

So...

I sent my QSL card for the contact with Lebanon to Mr. Name Name, and thought nothing more about it.

Then... Drama!

TL;DR: Be sure to check the QRZ page of anyone acting on behalf of a contact, to make sure you have all the info you need.

It turns out that I was supposed to visit Mr. Name Name's QRZ page for additional instructions about how to get a QSL card for my Lebanese QSO. Those instructions would have caused me to include a SASE; something that I did not do, because I had never visited Mr. Name Name's page. I mean, why would I? I didn't have a QSO with Mr. Name Name. I thought I had all the info I needed, as reproduced above. So, I continue on my merry way, oblivious as usual...

Time passes and I get an email from Mr. Name Name pointing out that I was supposed to include a SASE as was clearly stated on Name Name's QRZ page, and did I want to send one or paypal a dollar, and that it wasn't his place to supply postage or envelopes. I was surprised, but what the hell do I know, so I wrote back  saying I would decide the next day and let him know after I check what the paypal fee would be for that, and by the way, there was nothing on the Lebanon QRZ page about a SASE, so sorry I didn't know. This led to a few more emails back and forth, with me feeling it necessary to say that it never occurred to me to visit Name Name's page because I never had a QSO with him.

So, it turns out that Mr. Name Name acts as a "bureau" for a whole bunch of people, and does it for free because he likes doing it. He said I should go to his page and see how it is supposed to be done "properly", so I did that, and it was clearly stated what was required. I would have had no problem with this, had I understood what was being done.  

In the meantime he told me he would send out the card anyway. I told him to wait and I would send him a SASE, but he had already dropped it into the mail, so I said I'd send him a buck, but he said not to worry about it and not to bother. I think I will still send him a buck.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:13:51 AM EDT
Emoto, I just looked and I'm positive that your Lebanon QSO is the same as mine. I can't remember if I sent a card yet or not -- my notes are at home. I normally send self-addressed envelopes and "Green stamps" to all my DX, so if I've mailed one to this guy, surely I included a stamped envelope for this guy's manager.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:19:09 AM EDT
Quoted:
I just stumbled into making an error, so will detail that so other newbies might avoid the same mistake.

I recently had a nice QSO with a guy in Tripoli, Lebanon, which was pretty cool. Naturally, I was curious about getting a paper QSL card from him. On his QRZ page, it said (I have removed details to avoid finger pointing):

Please QSL direct  only to:
Name Name-Call Sign
123 Street Address
City, State, USA Zipcode

So...

I sent my QSL card for the contact with Lebanon to Mr. Name Name, and thought nothing more about it.

Then... Drama!

TL;DR: Be sure to check the QRZ page of anyone acting on behalf of a contact, to make sure you have all the info you need.

It turns out that I was supposed to visit Mr. Name Name's QRZ page for additional instructions about how to get a QSL card for my Lebanese QSO. Those instructions would have caused me to include a SASE; something that I did not do, because I had never visited Mr. Name Name's page. I mean, why would I? I didn't have a QSO with Mr. Name Name. I thought I had all the info I needed, as reproduced above. So, I continue on my merry way, oblivious as usual...

Time passes and I get an email from Mr. Name Name pointing out that I was supposed to include a SASE as was clearly stated on Name Name's QRZ page, and did I want to send one or paypal a dollar, and that it wasn't his place to supply postage or envelopes. I was surprised, but what the hell do I know, so I wrote back  saying I would decide the next day and let him know after I check what the paypal fee would be for that, and by the way, there was nothing on the Lebanon QRZ page about a SASE, so sorry I didn't know. This led to a few more emails back and forth, with me feeling it necessary to say that it never occurred to me to visit Name Name's page because I never had a QSO with him.

So, it turns out that Mr. Name Name acts as a "bureau" for a whole bunch of people, and does it for free because he likes doing it. He said I should go to his page and see how it is supposed to be done "properly", so I did that, and it was clearly stated what was required. I would have had no problem with this, had I understood what was being done.  

In the meantime he told me he would send out the card anyway. I told him to wait and I would send him a SASE, but he had already dropped it into the mail, so I said I'd send him a buck, but he said not to worry about it and not to bother. I think I will still send him a buck.
View Quote

He is a QSL MANAGER.  There are a lot of them around albeit fewer than in previous years.  Most of them handle a dozen or so DX stations and who knows how many QSL cards every month.  I was manager for a friend stationed in South Korea and just that one was a lot of effort.

Sending an SASE for a manager is standard practice.  It always has been.  If they had to pay postage out of their own pocket or address envelopes all day long they wouldn't do it for very long.

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:23:07 AM EDT
Quoted:
Emoto, I just looked and I'm positive that your Lebanon QSO is the same as mine. I can't remember if I sent a card yet or not -- my notes are at home. I normally send self-addressed envelopes and "Green stamps" to all my DX, so if I've mailed one to this guy, surely I included a stamped envelope for this guy's manager.

If you included a SASE, or SAE and a buck, you're all set.

When I hit a DX, I always look very closely at their QSL card instructions, to make sure I get it right. Sometimes, I email them to make sure I understand what they need.

But, since the guy handling it was in the US and it simply said to send to him, that is all I did. I know better now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:35:35 AM EDT
I won't post all the details here because there are a number of people that could get into trouble for their part in it but the messiest time I had getting a QSL card was from XXXXX.

I was warned that mail theft was likely.

I asked the embassy and they refused to drop one in the local mail for me even though I offered to send it unsealed so they could inspect it.

I asked around to someone I knew that knew someone that knew someone that knew someone else and by the time it was over the operator in XXXXXX got a DHL mailer addressed to me.

Bingo!

Of course the mailer also included a number of OTHER QSL cards for other operators here in the States.

I never asked why he did that but he did. The mailer had about 6 cards in it including mine.

Piccolo Q. Dumbshit sent all 5 of them to the rightful hams with a note of explanation and never did get so much as a single thank you of any kind from any of them.

I didn't expect a large cash award or being invited over to the house to fuck their sisters but a simple, free email would have been nice.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:50:14 AM EDT

I heard their sisters were all fat anyway.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 3:18:59 PM EDT
FYI: When you mail "green stamps", check each one for any markings, wear and tear. They should basically look like new to be exchanged for a local currency in most countries. A bill will be rejected, even if it looks new but there is a small tear on one of the edges.

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 3:20:26 PM EDT
Quoted:
FYI: When you mail "green stamps", check each one for any markings, wear and tear. They should basically look like new to be exchanged for a local currency in most countries. A bill will be rejected, even if it looks new but there is a small tear on one of the edges.

Excellent point.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 3:24:46 PM EDT
Quoted:
I won't post all the details here because there are a number of people that could get into trouble for their part in it but the messiest time I had getting a QSL card was from XXXXX.

I was warned that mail theft was likely.

I asked the embassy and they refused to drop one in the local mail for me even though I offered to send it unsealed so they could inspect it.

I asked around to someone I knew that knew someone that knew someone that knew someone else and by the time it was over the operator in XXXXXX got a DHL mailer addressed to me.

Bingo!

Of course the mailer also included a number of OTHER QSL cards for other operators here in the States.

I never asked why he did that but he did. The mailer had about 6 cards in it including mine.

Piccolo Q. Dumbshit sent all 5 of them to the rightful hams with a note of explanation and never did get so much as a single thank you of any kind from any of them.

I didn't expect a large cash award or being invited over to the house to fuck their sisters but a simple, free email would have been nice.
View Quote

I remember your story about getting a QSL card from one of the "...stans". It was hilarious.

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 4:10:40 PM EDT
Quoted:

I got sixty one dollar bills from the bank last week to renew my supply in my radio desk drawer. I know for  a fact that I sent a couple of ratty ones from the batch before this one. I hope they work.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 5:05:05 PM EDT
Quoted:

I remember your story about getting a QSL card from one of the "...stans". It was hilarious.
View All Quotes

Yeah. A lot of guys stuck their necks out trying to help me get paper confirmation from the QSO. Like I said earlier I can't post the details here but if anyone a youse guys meet up with me I'll tell you AFTER I swear you to secrecy.

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 5:10:36 PM EDT
Quoted:

I got sixty one dollar bills from the bank last week to renew my supply in my radio desk drawer. I know for  a fact that I sent a couple of ratty ones from the batch before this one. I hope they work.

A couple of years ago I got $100 from the bank and the idiot woman asked me, "Are you having a garage sale?"

"No. Bubbles is workin' at the club Saturday night!"

The teller next to her said, "Bubbles, huh? I'll buy you the first round!"

She blushed until somebody's grandmother took her down completely. She was a topheavy octogenarian with her enormous boobs in a bullet bra that was probably made out of some kind of seat belt materiel. She stuck her boobs aout and asked, "Hey are they having a wet-T-shirt contest, too?"

That old lady stole the entire show!
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 4:22:04 PM EDT
My cousin's daughter was my teller that day, so I said that I was going to a topless bar that night and my wife said, "He is not."

I got an email from a guy in Serbia this morning saying in broken English that he got my QSL card but I hadn't sent any "$$$". No shit, Sherlock. If you want green stamps, at least take the effort to say so on your QRZ page. I have NO problem sending a few bucks for a DX QSL card, but they need to specify it. I then suggest PayPal and he responds with an email address to send it to. I send $3 to it and immediately get an email from PayPal saying that the dude doesn't even have an account and has 10 days to sign up and claim the funds. I sent him a final email telling him to keep my card and not to bother sending me one if he can't get PayPal going on his end. I'm not going to pout over a card from Serbia -- I've had QSO's with a half dozen guys from that country. Sure one will send one.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 4:32:24 PM EDT
Quoted:
My cousin's daughter was my teller that day, so I said that I was going to a topless bar that night and my wife said, "He is not."

I got an email from a guy in Serbia this morning saying in broken English that he got my QSL card but I hadn't sent any "$$$". No shit, Sherlock. If you want green stamps, at least take the effort to say so on your QRZ page. I have NO problem sending a few bucks for a DX QSL card, but they need to specify it. I then suggest PayPal and he responds with an email address to send it to. I send $3 to it and immediately get an email from PayPal saying that the dude doesn't even have an account and has 10 days to sign up and claim the funds. I sent him a final email telling him to keep my card and not to bother sending me one if he can't get PayPal going on his end. I'm not going to pout over a card from Serbia -- I've had QSO's with a half dozen guys from that country. Sure one will send one.
View Quote

Your wife won that round.

Regarding QSL card in$tructions, it is kind of amazing that these guys don't always say what they need.

I have sent emails to a few DX QSOs asking if the way QRZ has their address is how I should address the envelope. I also ask if they "have any other requirements, because I know postage can be a burden". I have gotten back replies ranging from "yes, please send 2 GS" to "no, this is a hobby and I enjoy it" so you never know.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 9:26:59 PM EDT
That's the reason my QRZ web page specifies BURO or SASE.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:30:55 PM EDT
Quoted:
That's the reason my QRZ web page specifies BURO or SASE.

Suppose it's a DX that comes with an SAE and $2.00?
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 9:42:17 AM EDT
I haven't purchased QSL cards this time around, but I'm not in HF yet.

I have "Eyeball Cards" which I enjoy giving out, but I'm undecided about QSL's.

The most I ever sent was $5 to my first and only contact with Mongolia, because I really wanted his card. Other DX got $1.

Google "cheap QSLs". (I have Style EB1 Eyeball Cards) which I think look good with my 2X2 and serve the purpose very well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 9:00:31 PM EDT
I just ordered some really nice color ones from Custom QSL now to get my HF rig back up and running again and make some contacts to send out my custom card.  I send cards because I like to get them and see what they have for cards and hopefully send back.  I try to do the special events and don't mind sending a SASE to get a card back.  I think I even paid for a few special event cards but I don't track how much I have spent.   Cards was one of the reasons I like this hobby.

Link Posted: 6/24/2021 4:20:01 AM EDT
Honestly, QSL cards don't have to be complicated or professionally done unless you want to.  For years I designed my own that were printed n my inkjet onto postcard stock.   Still do that when I work away from my home QTH.  he more personalized the better.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 12:57:32 PM EDT
Quoted:

Your wife won that round.

Regarding QSL card in$tructions, it is kind of amazing that these guys don't always say what they need.

I have sent emails to a few DX QSOs asking if the way QRZ has their address is how I should address the envelope. I also ask if they "have any other requirements, because I know postage can be a burden". I have gotten back replies ranging from "yes, please send 2 GS" to "no, this is a hobby and I enjoy it" so you never know.
View Quote

I'm leaning towards going this way.  I saw one guys' QRZ page who was adamant about "NOT doing QSL cards of ANY kind so don't even ask."  That's a little extreme for me.  The cards are cool and all, but I don't really want to get too involved in it.  I think I've got eQSL set up to use one of their free ones for now.

Link Posted: 6/24/2021 3:06:52 PM EDT
Quoted:

I'm leaning towards going this way.  I saw one guys' QRZ page who was adamant about "NOT doing QSL cards of ANY kind so don't even ask."  That's a little extreme for me.  The cards are cool and all, but I don't really want to get too involved in it.  I think I've got eQSL set up to use one of their free ones for now.
View All Quotes

I think it hits different people differently. For me, I can handle the expense of sending them, because I might only send out a handful of cards a week, if that. No big deal, and I enjoy doing it.

On the other hand, those guys overseas who are on the receiving end of big pile-ups every time they say CQ, you might be talking about hundreds of contacts a week who might want a card. Not only would that be very time-consuming to fill in the cards, but the expense would add up to something significant for many, even more so in countries where postage is very expensive. For that reason, I don't mind kicking some greenstamps their way.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 6:06:12 PM EDT
Quoted:
On the other hand, those guys overseas who are on the receiving end of big pile-ups every time they say CQ, you might be talking about hundreds of contacts a week who might want a card. Not only would that be very time-consuming to fill in the cards, but the expense would add up to something significant for many, even more so in countries where postage is very expensive. For that reason, I don't mind kicking some greenstamps their way.
View Quote

True story.

Sending a five when the station requests $3 and a note expressing appreciation goes a long way in creating goodwill.

Goodwill is what this hobby is all about.

Link Posted: 6/24/2021 7:59:08 PM EDT
Quoted:

True story.

Sending a five when the station requests $3 and a note expressing appreciation goes a long way in creating goodwill.

Goodwill is what this hobby is all about.

View Quote

Amen, brother.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 11:45:50 PM EDT

Sudan is my 299th and Uzbekistan is my 300th confirmation for DXCC. I used OQRS and PayPal for confirmation because neither have reliable mail services nor did the operators want my card. By sending $3.00 each via OQRS, I had both of their QSL cards within a month.

Link Posted: 6/25/2021 6:14:32 AM EDT
Quoted:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Sudan is my 299th and Uzbekistan is my 300th confirmation for DXCC. I used OQRS and PayPal for confirmation because neither have reliable mail services nor did the operators want my card. By sending $3.00 each via OQRS, I had both of their QSL cards within a month.

View Quote

That is an impressive achievement and something to take pride in. I can only aspire to make 300. I love OQRS! I had a QSO with a station in Iceland less than 36 hours ago and the gentleman emailed me a photo of my card and addressed envelope and said he was getting ready to drop it in the mail.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 6:56:50 AM EDT
Quoted:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

View Quote

Those are really cool, Bob. Thanks for the mention of OQRS; I did not know about it until now.

Quoted:
That is an impressive achievement and something to take pride in. I can only aspire to make 300. I love OQRS! I had a QSO with a station in Iceland less than 36 hours ago and the gentleman emailed me a photo of my card and addressed envelope and said he was getting ready to drop it in the mail.

At the rate you've been going, I have no doubt that you will hit big numbers in not too long. Especially if the cycle continues to get better.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 8:17:36 AM EDT
Quoted:
At the rate you've been going, I have no doubt that you will hit big numbers in not too long. Especially if the cycle continues to get better.

Strange things going on last night. It was the first day that I didn't make a QSO. I had a station I Mexico booming in S9+10 and I tried forever to make contact, but was never called on. It would have been my third QSO from there -- for some reason, I can't get a Mexican confirmation. I finally had to pull the plug when lightning and rain rolled in. I tried a station in England before that, and he never did hear me.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 8:38:20 AM EDT
My Mexican confirmed QSO I do remember saying to him I did need a card for DXCC when we spoke. The pileup on him had not started. He had called CQ and I was the first, kind of a fluke.

He said that he'd handle it immediately and get one out ASAP and he did.

I sent him mine with the obligatory green stamps out the following morning and maybe a week (possibly less) later his showed. I'm sure he sent it long before he got my card and money.

It's also a good idea to email ahead. The email guys give on their QRZ page is generally good.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 5:02:54 PM EDT
I got a QSL card from a Dutch station today that had a full-color, bare-breasted woman on it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 5:35:47 PM EDT
Quoted:
I got a QSL card from a Dutch station today that had a full-color, bare-breasted woman on it.

Strictly for educational purposes, I should probably take a look at that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 6:13:11 PM EDT
Quoted:

Strictly for educational purposes, I should probably take a look at that.
View All Quotes

Well, if you still have my number, send a text so I can reply.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 9:46:40 PM EDT
I need to get some QSL cards made up.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 9:51:27 PM EDT
Quoted:

This guy was pretty painless to deal with: https://www.kb3ifhqslcards.com/
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 9:52:50 PM EDT
Quoted:

You wouldn't happen to be in North Dakota, would you?

I need North Dakota to unofficially have worked all states. I still need confirmations from Missouri and Michigan though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 9:53:10 PM EDT
Quoted:

This guy was pretty painless to deal with: https://www.kb3ifhqslcards.com/
View All Quotes

+1
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 11:26:00 PM EDT
Quoted:

You wouldn't happen to be in North Dakota, would you?

I need North Dakota to unofficially have worked all states. I still need confirmations from Missouri and Michigan though.
View Quote

For a fee I could be!

Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:48:24 AM EDT
Quoted:

For a fee I could be!

Like the Iranian station I worked several years ago....he wanted $10.00 for a LoTW upload and no card.

Link Posted: 6/29/2021 7:00:31 AM EDT
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Like the Iranian station I worked several years ago....he wanted $10.00 for a LoTW upload and no card.
View Quote

Report that kind of shit on DX Summit.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:22:59 AM EDT
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

View Quote

Might take me awhile but mission accepted....
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:42:59 PM EDT
Am starting to amass a collection of QSL cards. What do you guys do with them? I mean do you display them somehow? If so, how? I enjoy every single QSL card I receive, and it would be nice to have them displayed in some way.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 10:56:05 PM EDT
Quoted:
Am starting to amass a collection of QSL cards. What do you guys do with them? I mean do you display them somehow? If so, how? I enjoy every single QSL card I receive, and it would be nice to have them displayed in some way.

I have a bunch in a photo album. I also scan them and have them as a rotating desktop backdrop.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 8:49:05 PM EDT
Just got my first batch of QSL cards. Sent some out this past Friday and plan to send them to others I’ve spoken to since March. I’m only sending them to DX contacts so far. I only spend maybe 4 hours a week (weekend evenings) on the radio so I only make about 1-2 DX contacts a week if I’m lucky. Not too onerous to send out via my local post office.

We’ll see where this goes. I do LOTW and QRZ and NEVER thought I’d do paper QSL cards…but the bug hit me over the last couple months so I got a batch. If/when I get some, I’ll decorate the ham shack wall.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 4:44:41 PM EDT

Took almost 2 months roundtrip for this one that arrived today.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 7:48:01 PM EDT
Quoted:

Took almost 2 months roundtrip for this one that arrived today.

I talk to Jim all the time, very easy to get from here.  Did he send you a coin called Tangaroa?
---

Posted: 8/20/2021 8:09:33 PM EDT
Quoted:

I talk to Jim all the time, very easy to get from here.  Did he send you a coin called Tangaroa?

No. Probably because I'm cheap and only sent two green stamps.

I've had two QSO's with him. Both pretty late at night. I wish I could have gotten E51AAO, as he logs on LOTW.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#1]
My handwriting isn't the best (or the worst) so I decided to get a label printer so that I could print people's addresses without wasting envelopes when I spazz out and make a mistake.

Some people like to print out the QSO details as well on a little sticker, but I intend to keep hand-writing the QSL cards, because I think that personal touch is a little nicer than a sticker. I have no such qualms about the address blocks, though!

It seems that there are a lot of label printers out there, ranging from about $50 up to thousands of dollars. After researching, I bought a Dymo one that does 2 different sizes and has a roll of each loaded. Probably more elaborate than I really need, but what the hell.

It is also getting time to order another batch of cards. I think I'll change it up some, now that I have some experience writing them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I've thrown away a few cards and envelopes after messing up something on them. I started with 1000 QSL cards in May. In just under 6 months, I've had 1600+ QSO's, so it's a good thing I seldom send cards to the same country (unless it's a harder to get country for me, then I might pick up a few.) Then there are a lot of countries that I just sent PayPal for a card, since they don't care about receiving mine.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
If they ask, I send one.

If they SASE, I send one.

If it's a memorable QSO, I may send one.

If it's an ARFCOM'er or gun nut, I try to send my M1 Garand QSL card.

If it's rare DX, I like getting a card.

99% of these were with 100 watts, and a trap vertical or dipole, many were from the mobile, including the ISS space station, Navassa, T32C

[brag] here's some nice ones.....

My very first QSO, with my brand new callsign,..........

Learning CW and getting on the air so I could pass the General 13wmp test

ARFCOM !!!!!

Fucking KAREN, my TS-590 is not MARS mod'ed and does not TX out of band.

Link Posted: 10/24/2021 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I bet the guy that sent the pee pee slap is fun at parties.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, relevant thread for me.....but my eyeballs are hurting from the OP...

Nah, I understand put all the info out there and see what is the most important and give new guys like me a feel for how this QSL card thing works.  I would almost recommend a sticky but figure after time I will learn how this works and it will be second nature.  I still haven't figured out how HRD works to record contacts and stuff like that....

I have only made contact locally on the 2m band but but ordered some temporary stuff to get my HF antenna out of my ham shack and outside.  Really want some 80/40/20m HF contacts.  Maybe I got robbed but watching youtube videos and some other stuff people seem to approve of the MFJ-4603.  Until I can get a contractor (seems mission impossible, nobody wants to work...) the home remodel and ham upgrades are on hold .  

Until then the MFJ-4603 and the following will have to do:

I also ordered a Diamond CP6AR as digging up the yard to put my 6-BTV and ground radials in might take me a minute.  Until the construction crew is done don't want them to screw up my hard work.  I will just mount it to my back deck for now as I plan to get my back deck redone and covered.  At that point it will go on the roof of the deck when it gets screened in.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I print my own on 4x6 index cards,(heavy stock from Staples)  using photoshop and a relatively ancient Canon MP-250

It's probably a wash given the cost of ink cartridges but I like my "custom" designs tailored to the QSO if interesting enough.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#7]
[deleted to protect the innocent]

Not one of mine but one of my favorites, op's daughter drew it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/90477/9BE42A91-DA5D-4CD3-B4A4-7F4272BC0A42_jpe-2143095.JPG

Not one of mine but one of my favorites, op's daughter drew it.
View Quote

Do not laugh.

My cat is responsible for my first Kuwaiti QSO.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do not laugh.

My cat is responsible for my first Kuwaiti QSO.
View Quote

I'm not, I promise..

OK, ok..I am.  

I let the sender know it's my favorite QSL card to date.

Hey, Good Kitteh!
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Bump to prevent archiving.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Time for me to re-order, so I am probably going to change my card around some.

In this sample QSL card back, what is the lower right-hand box labeled "2-way" used for?

Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#12]
It's used for mode -- SSB, FT8, etc.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's used for mode -- SSB, FT8, etc.
View Quote

Really? Why not just say Mode?
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#14]

http://www.radioqth.net/qslcards  this is where I made my M1 Garand QSL cards.

save as a PDF and take the thumb drive to a print shop

Link Posted: 11/25/2021 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Really? Why not just say Mode?
View Quote

Because it was a 2-way QSO, not a 1-way transmission such as for an SWL report.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I got my first two card via the Bureau.  I Paypal'ed them some money when I first got my ticket.  I let me ARRL membership expire, do I really need proof of membership If I have prepaid credits with the bureau to ship out?
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I got my first two card via the Bureau.  I Paypal'ed them some money when I first got my ticket.  I let me ARRL membership expire, do I really need proof of membership If I have prepaid credits with the bureau to ship out?
View Quote

Incoming and outgoing bureaus are not the same, plus you have to be an ARRL member to use the outgoing bureau.  I suspect the answer to your question is "Yes".
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I just received an email from someone in Alberta who I had a QSO with the other day. It was an image of a QSL card with the details of our contact. I guess this is a thing.

Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Many of the eQSLs are scans of regular cards and other than having a bar for the QSO data are nice looking cards.  Admittedly many others are junk but so goes the world.  I print and trim some of the good or unique eQSLs and put them in my albums with the regular cards.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
eQSL's are a thing, I've received a few.

I like the traditional paper cards but I'm don't chase 'em.  I will exchange 'em if requested...on my dime.

I also log almost everything on QRZ and LoTW
View Quote

Quoted:
Many of the eQSLs are scans of regular cards and other than having a bar for the QSO data are nice looking cards.  Admittedly many others are junk but so goes the world.  I print and trim some of the good or unique eQSLs and put them in my albums with the regular cards.
View Quote

I upload to LoTW, QRZ, and Club Log, since it takes very little effort. I also send out paper QSL cards to some of the contacts I make. This guy did confirm on QRZ.

I have had no interest in eQSLs, so I never looked into what they were. I thought there would be more to it than simply emailing someone an image. I mean, it's fine if that's what people want to do, but I'm not going to send any.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Hat tip to @M4Madness for this

You may have QSL cards that have been sent to you, that you don't know about, because they went to the bureau!

What does this mean? It means that someone sends a QSL card to you through their local bureau and it is then sent to YOUR local bureau, where it may sit indefinitely until you contact the local bureau and make arrangements.

For US-based hams, you find out who is your local bureau here: http://www.arrl.org/incoming-qsl-service

Then, you follow whatever your local bureau's process is. In my case, this meant setting up a little account with them and sending them $5 via paypal. The work is done by volunteers, and the $ is used for stamps and envelopes; nobody is making money on this. Whenever you receive some cards through the bureau, they put them into an envelope and mail them to you.

So, a week or so after I set this up, I checked my mighty $5 balance and saw that it was down to something like $3.67. This means that an envelope with QSL card(s) for me has been dispatched! According to USPS "Informed Delivery" the envelope will be here today.

No idea whose card(s) will be inside, but if I hadn't gone through the process, I would never get them.

So, try it!

There is also outgoing QSL service available which reduces the cost to send cards overseas. The drawback is that the bureaus are slow.

Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Just a bump to keep it alive.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hat tip to @M4Madness for this

You may have QSL cards that have been sent to you, that you don't know about, because they went to the bureau!

What does this mean? It means that someone sends a QSL card to you through their local bureau and it is then sent to YOUR local bureau, where it may sit indefinitely until you contact the local bureau and make arrangements.

For US-based hams, you find out who is your local bureau here: http://www.arrl.org/incoming-qsl-service

Then, you follow whatever your local bureau's process is. In my case, this meant setting up a little account with them and sending them $5 via paypal. The work is done by volunteers, and the $ is used for stamps and envelopes; nobody is making money on this. Whenever you receive some cards through the bureau, they put them into an envelope and mail them to you.

So, a week or so after I set this up, I checked my mighty $5 balance and saw that it was down to something like $3.67. This means that an envelope with QSL card(s) for me has been dispatched! According to USPS "Informed Delivery" the envelope will be here today.

No idea whose card(s) will be inside, but if I hadn't gone through the process, I would never get them.

So, try it!

There is also outgoing QSL service available which reduces the cost to send cards overseas. The drawback is that the bureaus are slow.

View Quote

A couple of things to keep in mind:

1.  Bureaus won't keep cards forever.  They will keep them for some period of time, until it becomes obvious that you aren't going to try to obtain them, and then they will return them as undeliverable of just dispose of them.

2.  Most bureaus expect you to keep self-addressed envelopes on file with them.  They aren't supporting a business so if you don't have cards on file they aren't going to look up your address, fill out an envelope, pay for the postage and send them to you.

3.  They are doing YOU a favor, not the other way around.  The incoming US bureaus are generally free for all US amateurs to use.  As I recall (their website is down right now so I can't check) you don't have to be an ARRL member to use the incoming bureau (although you DO have to be an ARRL member to use the outgoing bureau).

4.  As M4Madness indicated bureaus are SLOW.  Don't expect anything in a month or 3 months, and don't expect to get individual cards forwarded immediately.  They will hold cards to you until they have enough to use a first class postage stamp (1 ounce, I think, or about 6 or 7 cards).  I usually get something from my bureau about every 6 to 9 months.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I am ALMOST 100 percent LOTW. I prefer LOTW as it is the only service that has awards that "matter". At least in my mind. I am primarily a DX chaser. I have 274 of the 340 countries confirmed. QSL cards were a "thing" a LONG time ago when I was young. I don't care much for them now. However, I have paid REAL money to get some QSL cards. Sometimes it is the only thing you can do. There is plenty of the "juicy" DX stations that are not LOTW. Some do this to make money, some are DXpeditions that are out a LOT of money and need some way to recover a bit of it back. Example the upcoming DXpedition to Bouvet is estimated to cost $650,000. It is not unusually for run of the mill Dxpeditions to cost 100K.  So I have a lot of cards. I care not for cards. I just want the confirmations. I will send a card only on the dime of the other guy that wants my card. I confirm every contact on LOTW immediately. But if you REALLY REALLY want an K0UA card and you send me a SASE I will print up a card and send it. After 51 years, cards hold very little appeal to me. That was not always true when I started out.

73  K0UA
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 8:04:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Bump
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top