Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2020 9:35:08 PM EDT
People who type on a keyboard using a computer using QRG, QTR, QRP, etc. are no different than those who text using wut, brb, cyl.

Funny thing is, I have seen the first group complaining about the second group.

I do so love how QRP means so much more than "should I decrease power", now it's anything to do with low power, but that's a different story.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Sad fact I need decoding software. I tested when you needed to know it. Had a FCC guy try to roll over me saying I didnt pass. Older fellow told that guy to booger off I passed fine. I was also alot faster than him so he was pissed.

Now I'm the older guy and tinitus is a bitch. The little short cuts I
never used on code or text.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
So, what are you trying to prove? Not all Q-codes are very common but some are used very frequently (like QSL, QRZ, QRX, QRP etc). We also use specific words like Bravo, Delta, Oskar etc. It's the way it's done.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#3]
"Q" codes are CW shorthand and old hams like the nostalgia.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, what are you trying to prove? Not all Q-codes are very common but some are used very frequently (like QSL, QRZ, QRX, QRP etc). We also use specific words like Bravo, Delta, Oskar etc. It's the way it's done.
View Quote

no brevity is needed wen typing on a computer, why use it?
more to the point, why complain about a group using brevity codes when you do it when it isnt needed?
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

more to the point, why complain about a group using brevity codes when you do it when it isnt needed?
View Quote
Not every computer mode prints as fast as you can type, weak signal modes are slow and brevity helps.

I think it's the fm and digital voice guys who don't use them.

Personally the cw prosigns are more confusing but that's because I'm not a cw operator.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
You mean like when posting here on forums and such and using Q codes?

Sure it's not needed, but it becomes more of an in-reference for shorthand amongst amateur radio hobbyists.  It's just like how we use BCG instead of typing out "bolt carrier group", or BBL to reference "barrel", or AR instead of typing "Armalite Rifle", or PCC instead of going "pistol caliber carbine", and on and on.  You'll have that sort of thing in any technical hobbyist or technical knowledge group.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

because you start to think that way.

Not everybody doesn't do code.

The people that do,  use it for everything because it is easier., this isn't CB good buddy

Q codes are part of ham radio
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

because you start to think that way.

Not everybody doesn't do code.

The people that do,  use it for everything because it is easier., this isn't CB good buddy

Q codes are part of ham radio
View Quote

THIS ^^^^^Breaker 19!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#9]
There is absolutely nothing so ridiculously eyeroll worthy as typing "hihi" in place of "haha" in a JS8Call or other digital mode communication.

"What is your QTH" is understandable but pointless.  as "What is your loc" is the same number of characters.  As I recall, uppercase is longer to xmit for some modes.  Otoh, "QTH?" is an understandable sentence whereas "loc?" might not be.

some others are a bit redundant.  But there are some which are good to know.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There is absolutely nothing so ridiculously eyeroll worthy as typing "hihi" in place of "haha" in a JS8Call or other digital mode communication.

"What is your QTH" is understandable but pointless.  as "What is your loc" is the same number of characters.  As I recall, uppercase is longer to xmit for some modes.  Otoh, "QTH?" is an understandable sentence whereas "loc?" might not be.

some others are a bit redundant.  But there are some which are good to know.
View Quote

Will someone from Japan or Russia while colluding with the Russians , understand what Loc?

They will understand QRH because it is universally understood in amateur radio
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not every computer mode prints as fast as you can type, weak signal modes are slow and brevity helps.

I think it's the fm and digital voice guys who don't use them.

Personally the cw prosigns are more confusing but that's because I'm not a cw operator.
View Quote

I mean specifically on an internet forum.
QRZ.com has some threads that have maybe two dozen words in them, with about 87 brazillion (that's a lot) of QTL, QRP, QTH, but none of the most important Q, bbQ
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I mean specifically on an internet forum.
QRZ.com has some threads that have maybe two dozen words in them, with about 87 brazillion (that's a lot) of QTL, QRP, QTH, but none of the most important Q, bbQ
View Quote
It's just lingo, the common ones are fine. By comparison I sent a text to my manufacturing engineer today that I just got to the plant and she replied that she was "Omw to assembly." She's also asked me before "if it was OK to yeet a little off the end" of a part that didn't fit right. Not in the same vein as saying there is a lot of qrm and we need to qsy up 15.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's just lingo, the common ones are fine. By comparison I sent a text to my manufacturing engineer today that I just got to the plant and she replied that she was "Omw to assembly." She's also asked me before "if it was OK to yeet a little off the end" of a part that didn't fit right. Not in the same vein as saying there is a lot of qrm and we need to qsy up 15.
View Quote

if one of my ME's ever asked that I'd say "you better not touch the part" and "which end? how do you know which part is wrong? who is actually going to do the 'yeeting'?"

but i get your point.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or my personal favorite, when someone says "Hihi" on voice.  Like get the fuck off this channel and go back to HF, you nerd... It's as cringeworthy as overhearing someone talking about 4chan or reddit memes in public.  

I have a slide in my radio presentation about not using codes... "10-4" is almost universaly understood, but other 10-codes, Q-codes, "Code 4", "Code brown" etc just leads to confusion and interop problems.  Don't use 'em.

Field day's funny to me, the one day a year I do HF... "Copy copy QSL 73"... as I ask the guy next to me "what the hell does qsl mean?"

Link Posted: 9/25/2020 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
...Like get the fuck off this channel and go back to HF, you nerd...
..."10-4" is almost universaly understood, but other 10-codes...

Field day's funny to me, the one day a year I do HF... "Copy copy QSL 73"... as I ask the guy next to me "what the hell does qsl mean?"

View Quote

See my comment earlier about FM / digital voice vs HF operators...
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't get the "typing on a computer" comment. We use radios to communicate, not computers.
Why use a red stop sign when you can just post the word STOP only? Because it's what's been mutually accepted and universally used in all states. Same with ham radio abbreviations. Q-Codes are internationally accepted. When I say - "QTH" or "QSY", everybody knows what this means. Not all operators will know what "loc","Location" or worse - "Changing frequency" means because not all speak English. I can make a CW QSO (contact using Morse Code, with CW modulation) with a station in Egypt and only use commonly accepted abbreviations and Q-Codes. He (or she) may no know a single word in English but will know exactly what I try to say with Q-Codes and other commonly accepted abbreviations.
Q-Codes sound very distinct in Morse Code. They convey information quickly and most hams know them. It's a part of being a ham operator. This is why we get licensed to operate radios.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#17]
QSD
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#18]
QSL on your rant.  At my QTH I can’t stand the QRM from the QRO.  I’m happily QRP on my iPad.  

QRZ
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't get the "typing on a computer" comment. We use radios to communicate, not computers.
Why use a red stop sign when you can just post the word STOP only? Because it's what's been mutually accepted and universally used in all states. Same with ham radio abbreviations. Q-Codes are internationally accepted. When I say - "QTH" or "QSY", everybody knows what this means. Not all operators will know what "loc","Location" or worse - "Changing frequency" means because not all speak English. I can make a CW QSO (contact using Morse Code, with CW modulation) with a station in Egypt and only use commonly accepted abbreviations and Q-Codes. He (or she) may no know a single word in English but will know exactly what I try to say with Q-Codes and other commonly accepted abbreviations.
Q-Codes sound very distinct in Morse Code. They convey information quickly and most hams know them. It's a part of being a ham operator. This is why we get licensed to operate radios.
View Quote

Did you make this post to ar15.com using a radio?
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:39:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
QSL on your rant.  At my QTH I can’t stand the QRM from the QRO.  I’m happily QRP on my iPad.  

QRZ
View Quote

You rascal you! I grinned and laughed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:39:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
QSL on your rant.  At my QTH I can't stand the QRM from the QRO.  I'm happily QRP on my iPad.  

QRZ
View Quote
KD5TXX de NMBMXER, hihi QSL. QRT, 73, SK SK
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:04:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Q codes are very helpful for CW especially when working DX ( where they might not be well versed in english )

Q codes have been around since before voice or digital radio was invented.

....so, it becomes the lingo, like "ARFCOM" "87" "FUAROCK" "LPK" etc on ar15.com

embrace the Q codes
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:32:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Q codes are very helpful for CW especially when working DX ( where they might not be well versed in english )

....so, it becomes the lingo, like "ARFCOM" "87" "FUAROCK" "LPK" etc on ar15.com

embrace the Q codes
View Quote

I thought I spotted an AFRcom'r on a vastly different forum the other day. I quoted him and tossed in FUAROCK....he came back with "get that s#it outta here and back to GD"...

Knew it.

I don't CW and don't care....the hihi is probably the only one that irks me though. YMMV, FWIW, Beans!
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
"Q" codes are CW shorthand and old hams like the nostalgia.
View Quote

We're also lazy and may have arthritis.

My biggest bitch is people using non-standard phonetics. They're okay as an occasional joke, like to call letters during late Saturday night Field Day. In most cases they just add to the confusion of contesting or chasing DX.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Did you make this post to ar15.com using a radio?
View Quote

No. What's your point? We don't use Q-codes on Arfcom and don't need a ham license to post here.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

embrace the Q codes
View Quote

Yep. Cops use 10-codes on the radio. Want to be a cop? Learn the 10-codes. Complain about it if you want but you have to either embrace it of find another job.

With this said, I have to confess that I don't know ALL Q-codes. You'll rarely hear anyone who knows or uses them all. Some codes are used often, especially on CW. Learn it or use your radio to talk on a 2m repeater, where Q-codes are not used commonly.

If you operate on HF (even on PHONE), you are expected to know the most common codes like QRM, QSL, QSY, QRX, QRP, QROetc. So, if an Italian says: "Coo-Ass-Elleh?", at the end of his transmission. You are expected to reply with: "QSL" if you successfully received his transmission.
We also use RST signal reports and abbreviations like: YL, XYL, HIHI etc. You are also expected to know phonetics. It's part of ham radio culture. This is why we have to pass exams to get a license. I know that the ham exams are a joke these days but you are still expected to know how to properly operate radios and what proper phonetics and abbreviations to use. It's sad to hear a newly issued Extra station operator who doesn't even know proper phonetics.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep. Cops use 10-codes on the radio. Want to be a cop? Learn the 10-codes. Complain about it if you want but you have to either embrace it of find another job.

With this said, I have to confess that I don't know ALL Q-codes. You'll rarely hear anyone who knows or uses them all. Some codes are used often, especially on CW. Learn it or use your radio to talk on a 2m repeater, where Q-codes are not used commonly.

If you operate on HF (even on PHONE), you are expected to know the most common codes like QRM, QSL, QSY, QRX, QRP, QROetc. So, if an Italian says: "Coo-Ass-Elleh?", at the end of his transmission. You are expected to reply with: "QSL" if you successfully received his transmission.
We also use RST signal reports and abbreviations like: YL, XYL, HIHI etc. You are also expected to know phonetics. It's part of ham radio culture. This is why we have to pass exams to get a license. I know that the ham exams are a joke these days but you are still expected to know how to properly operate radios and what proper phonetics and abbreviations to use. It's sad to hear a newly issued Extra station operator who doesn't even know proper phonetics.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No. What's your point? We don't use Q-codes on Arfcom and don't need a ham license to post here.
View Quote

you wrote "I don't get the "typing on a computer" comment"

I stated I am specifically talking about people on internet forums using q codes.not transmitting CW over any radio frequency.. People usually access those internet forums using computers. Did i say it was on Arfcom? Or did I mention another website maybe?

Did you not read all of what I wrote?

Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Long ago when I wasn’t that used to Q codes I was on HF speaking to a station that kept saying QSL every reply.  I only knew about QSL cards and thought he was asking me to send him one.  So every time I would reply I would start by saying Yes I will QSL.  Probably 5 or 6 times during the exchange.  Sure he thought I was a nut...but I think he was.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

you wrote "I don't get the "typing on a computer" comment"

I stated I am specifically talking about people on internet forums using q codes.not transmitting CW over any radio frequency.. People usually access those internet forums using computers. Did i say it was on Arfcom? Or did I mention another website maybe?

Did you not read all of what I wrote?

View Quote

Most hams will never use Q-Codes or ham related slang when they tank to non-hams. It's plain dumb.
You know, I can start talking to another engineer in some engineering terms, using very commonly used abbreviations. Most people won't understand what we are talking about UNLESS the discussion is on an engineering forum (or Engineering sub-forum / engineering related thread). It's common sense.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My biggest bitch is people using non-standard phonetics. They're okay as an occasional joke, like to call letters during late Saturday night Field Day. In most cases they just add to the confusion of contesting or chasing DX.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2020 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Long ago when I wasn’t that used to Q codes I was on HF speaking to a station that kept saying QSL every reply.  I only knew about QSL cards and thought he was asking me to send him one.  So every time I would reply I would start by saying Yes I will QSL.  Probably 5 or 6 times during the exchange.  Sure he thought I was a nut...but I think he was.
View Quote

awesome!  lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top