Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2022 5:32:56 PM EDT
I try to do as much work as I can on my own cars.

The oil change time is the big go over the car check fluids, tires, bulbs, etc..

Due to work from home, haven’t been driving as much and ran up against the six month time interval vs 5000 miles for an oil change.

Change the oil, check the fluid, ok so far

Get to the tires, 10 psi low, holy crap!

Keep an eye on ‘em or they will get away from ya.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#1]
TPMS, OP
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I noticed Fri my TPMS flagged a tire low....and it was about 10 psi - so I might need to re-calibrate the hardware.  I also noticed that one of my old tire pressure gauges sucked and was off by a bit...I guess that is why I have 2 or 3 of them and will use two to double check things.  After fiddling around with the old gauge - it seem to match back up with the digital gauge.

This time of the year the local area can have very large temp swings from 50 degrees back to 90 during a sunny day.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2022 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TPMS, OP
View Quote

That’s the thing, TPMS didn’t trip

Guess 28psi is ok for car manufacturers

Sigh…
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a slow leak in one of my tires. I ride my motorcycle when it's warm out and with some working from home it can go low. Chevy emails me when it does. I don't pay for that service.

I have a compressor in the garage and check them a couple times a week with the dash monitor. TPMS is worth it. I wish more motorcycle manufacturers integrated it into the onboard electronics. There are aftermarket units but toting another fob around is a PITA and you aren't supposed to run the cap units on rubber stems.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sigh…
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TPMS, OP

Sigh…

Generally speaking, 28 psi isn't horrible for many passenger car tires. It's very situationally dependent.

That being said, with my bidirectional scan tool I can adjust the alert pressure for the TPMS on my vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That being said, with my bidirectional scan tool I can adjust the alert pressure for the TPMS on my vehicle.
View Quote

The whole TPMS thing had my curiosity, now you have my attention.

Not well versed on scan tools.  What is the short list of tools that are worth the money that can modify the TPMS alert?

Can joe anybody buy them or do you need to be ASE certified working in a shop?
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#7]
10 psi low....................lol
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The whole TPMS thing had my curiosity, now you have my attention.

Not well versed on scan tools.  What is the short list of tools that are worth the money that can modify the TPMS alert?

Can joe anybody buy them or do you need to be ASE certified working in a shop?
View Quote

The answer is that it depends. Usually if you want one loaded with features that will work across multiple manufacturers you have to pay for that. Snap-on comes to mind for that role. In my case I have all GM products and I use one of the "cheap" Tech 2 clones ($300 for the clone vs $3k for the real Tech 2). For older GM vehicles the Tech 2 unlocks everything the dealer can do at a reasonable price. Most cheap deals don't do bidirectional or can't read the non-critical systems. I can control things like my windows, heated seats, HVAC, lights and more with mine. I can flash new firmware to modules...the list goes on.

I'm sure other manufacturers have equivalent units but I don't know what they are.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:01:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Didn’t read what others have said..but check your tire pressure when the tires are cold. If possible don’t drive to fill them up, do that at home. And don’t forget the spare.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:28:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought one of those 18v battery operated tire inflators, mine is from the Memorial Day Ryobi sale at HD.
I use it a lot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:43:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
10 psi low....................lol
View Quote
But... Did he DIE ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:43:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Check them weekly.  More often during spring/fall when the temp is changing a lot.  

I usually check mine when I get gas...takes a while to fill up that 28 gallon tank.  Might as well check a few things.

TPMS not showing a dummy light...rich people problems...
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:54:41 AM EDT
[#13]
My winter rims for the taco have no tpms and the other vehicles/trailers I check about every week.(I ignore the tpms light in winter)
Always check if I am going to carry a heavy load.
Always do a walk around every other day.

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 3:35:31 AM EDT
[#14]
You can add tpms sensors to any car, and the apps are reasonable to read 'em.

No excuses, get on it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You can add tpms sensors to any car, and the apps are reasonable to read 'em.

No excuses, get on it.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

It's called a pressure gauge and observation.

Wife's car has the stupid TPMS in it. One of the sensors died so the light would stay on.

I just disabled it entirely. F that TPMS system and the stupid pressure sensors.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/F84A650C-2406-46C9-B3D1-D3F7D7319381-693.gif

Wife's car has the stupid TPMS in it. One of the sensors died so the light would stay on.

I just disabled it entirely. F that TPMS system and the stupid pressure sensors.
quote]

I am about to have the tire shop pull the tpms off the taco rims and build a pvc pipe to hold them.

Darn things go bad quick here in Bush AK.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/F84A650C-2406-46C9-B3D1-D3F7D7319381-693.gif

View Quote

I'm not sure about yours but mine it's recommended to change sensors every time you get new tires. The batteries have a finite life. You might get lucky and get them to last the life of multiple sets but the frustration of them dying early isn't worth it IMHO.

TPMS is a great function if your wife is like mine and doesn't pay attention to every little detail while driving. If a tire went flat while sitting she would notice, but while driving she wouldn't notice unless it was causing very obvious handling problems. I have had a tire rapidly deflate on the interstate before. I was driving and I knew what was happening about 2 seconds before the TPMS did, my wife wouldn't have.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#18]
All good things to keep an eye on.  Most of my vehicles use synthetic or semi synthetic and I change them roughly every 5K or year interval.  Modern synthetics won't go bad with a couple thousand miles in 6 months unless something is wrong with the vehicle.  I have brand new oil in the jugs in my small tool shop that is well over a year old at this point, probably approaching two.  Other than maybe more exposure to moister oil stored in a jug or barrel wont age any different then oil stored in the engine.  With that said a year is long enough for me and I change it.  I used to subscribe to the 3K or bust mentality, but I have yet to have any engine fail due to lack of oil changes.  Here in the rust belt things rot away long before the engine dies.

I am on my 19th different car/ truck and 15th motorcycle  Yea - I have a problem!
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sigh…
View Quote

28 is 10 low? 38 is a bit high for most cars. All my recommended tire pressures are in the low 30's.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't forget to check the spare. Many times when people get a flat, they find their spare tire is flat also.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bought one of those 18v battery operated tire inflators, mine is from the Memorial Day Ryobi sale at HD.
I use it a lot.
View Quote

Me, too. I love having it in my truck. Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Don't forget to check the spare. Many times when people get a flat, they find their spare tire is flat also.
View Quote

This^^^

Every time I rotate my tires I check spare tire pressure. Everyone should too!
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I check mine every 2 weeks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top