Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a good looking coat. Did you skin it?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Caught this young female today in a snareAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jeeper02:
That's a good looking coat. Did you skin it?
View Quote
No, I took it to the fur buyer to get it skinned and tanned as a wall hanger but he said that it was so rubbed even if I wanted to sell it he wouldn't buy it. He convinced me to wait on a better one. So I got to learn what the meaning of "Rubbed" means.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I've caught 2 this year with rubbed shoulders
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I started trapping for fur a few years ago.  I am Native American, so we use the fur for regalia and ceremonial uses.  I got into it when I was looking for otter fur for some things.  Tanned, complete pelts seemed to start around $200 at the time.  Some of the bigger and in great shape were over $300.  I was in a local man-mall and walked by some conibear/body-grip traps.  They weren't very expensive.  I looked up a tannery cost to get an otter tanned, added the trap cost, and cost of a trapping license.  All together, it was MUCH, MUCH cheaper to trap my own and get it/them tanned and I could use the traps until they wear out.
I trapped my limit that first year.  Family saw my success and we bartered furs for goods and services (OLD SCHOOL).  I trapped the next two years and added some land traps for Pine Marten.  Over the course since I've started, I have also incidentally trapped some raccoons and beavers.  NOTHING goes to waste.  All of the pelts get tanned and traded or used.  As much meat is salvaged for trap bait for myself or a couple of other trappers that I know and we trade.  Skulls are cleaned and used in ceremonies.  A friend/coworker salvages any leftover bones for crafts.
I primarily use conibear/body-grip traps

2016 Otters

2017 Otters

2018 Otters

2018 Pine Marten

2019 Pine Marten
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Market is flooded so far this year.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#7]
https://youtube.com/@TrapperCody
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top