Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2022 9:59:17 PM EDT
I haven't really spent a lot of time with SSTV but heard some today on 20 meters after stringing up an antenna.

There is a lot of background noise, so the decode is not great, but I managed to grab this image using the "Droid SSTV" app on my phone.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never seen traffic when I was paying attention.. that could be my fault
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have any favorites but here are some I have.

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Haha those are great!
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I need to learn to set up for SSTV. It looks interesting
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:31:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I need to learn to set up for SSTV. It looks interesting
View Quote

It's as easy as installing an android app and connecting your phone to your radio.  If you don't want to transmit, just sticking the phone by the speaker in a quiet room will give high quality decodes.

You can google for SSTV audio files and find youtube videos and other places with same SSTV audio, and just play it and decode it with your phone to get an idea of how it works and what it sounds like so you'll recognize it when you hear it.

I have 2 apps, Droid SSTV and Robot36.  Both support auto recognition of the SSTV protocol being used.  There are some that they don't support, but I think they cover most of the popular ones.

50 years ago the equipment to do this would have filled a room.  Now it fits in your pocket and costs less than a Big Mac.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:34:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's as easy as installing an android app and connecting your phone to your radio.  If you don't want to transmit, just sticking the phone by the speaker in a quiet room will give high quality decodes.

You can google for SSTV audio files and find youtube videos and other places with same SSTV audio, and just play it and decode it with your phone to get an idea of how it works and what it sounds like so you'll recognize it when you hear it.

I have 2 apps, Droid SSTV and Robot36.  Both support auto recognition of the SSTV protocol being used.  There are some that they don't support, but I think they cover most of the popular ones.

50 years ago the equipment to do this would have filled a room.  Now it fits in your pocket and costs less than a Big Mac.
View Quote
Interesting. I'm still on IPhone for now, any good apps for iOS?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought this one was pretty cool-

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Interesting. I'm still on IPhone for now, any good apps for iOS?
View Quote

Don't know.  I've never looked into iOS apps.  It's possible, but it seems like there was a proliferation of various ham apps on Android a dozen years ago and then it really slowed down.  Most of them now still work, but they haven't been updated in years.

Seems like you need the rare combination of app developer/ham radio enthusiast to get apps made.

The app everyone uses for APRS was abandoned by the developer because of all the people bitching they didn't want him to add digipeater capability, IIRC because they were afraid unlicensed people would set up APRS stations.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Got this one this afternoon.  Pretty clear considering.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Found one earlier. I'll see if I can get in the shack
later and see if I can decode something
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not a "favorite" but it's what I have on this machine.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108158/ISS-2379460.jpg

I'll leave my rig on and decoding for several hours at a time.

Sometimes I get several good images (some can be rather racey) and sometimes nothing.
View Quote

I was going to say, favorite decodes and CoC aren't compatible, lol.

Some of the SSTZV decode programs will just capture and write to disk images continuously, I'll leave my rig tuned to
20M SSTV freq for a few days and then admire the results.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Decoded my first one. I think it's a Furry........
Attachment Attached File

ETA:
Also sent one out. No response from it. I didn't show up on PSK Reporter but I guess that isn't too big of a deal.

ETA 2:
Did get a response. From the Furry.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Decoded my first one. I think it's a Furry........
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73718/SSTV_051622_0130_utc_jpg-2385458.JPG

ETA:
Also sent one out. No response from it. I didn't show up on PSK Reporter but I guess that isn't too big of a deal.

ETA 2:
Did get a response. From the Furry.
View Quote

Hah cool!  It's nice to add another tool to the toolbox.

I'm not really sure about the protocol for a QSO using SSTV, but it does seem like most of them are followed by CW ID.  I did see one today where a responding station sent back an image that had the thumbnail of the other station's image in the corner.  And sometimes I hear people using SSB on the SSTV freq. I guess they might be giving signal reports or deciding on a mode, etc.

Here you can see the original image below, and the reply above with the thumbnail in it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#15]
It appears that you send out your image with CQ overlaid. Then they respond. Then you respond. MMSSTV has templates where it fills in the info for you. That's how I did it anyway. I also included the CW ID'er.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It appears that you send out your image with CQ overlaid. Then they respond. Then you respond. MMSSTV has templates where it fills in the info for you. That's how I did it anyway. I also included the CW ID'er.
View Quote

MMSSTV is a desktop application?  I've just been using phone apps.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:45:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

MMSSTV is a desktop application?  I've just been using phone apps.
View Quote
Yeah. Use a USB cable to communicate between the laptop/desktop and the radio.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:39:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah. Use a USB cable to communicate between the laptop/desktop and the radio.
View Quote

All of my radios are the generation before USB, so they all use D-Sub or DIN CAT cables and audio interfaces.

I have an EasyDigi I built from a kit, and a Signalink USB.  One of these days I'll modernize and get a radio that has a USB port built in.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

All of my radios are the generation before USB, so they all use D-Sub or DIN CAT cables and audio interfaces.

I have an EasyDigi I built from a kit, and a Signalink USB.  One of these days I'll modernize and get a radio that has a USB port built in.
View Quote
Ah ok. I got lucky with my 7300, it had all that. But I still have a Signal Link for 891s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top