Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2023 3:02:52 PM EDT
My wife picked up this little camo 9x4x3" zippered pouch which turns out to be a nice size for a small, portable tool kit bag:

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.  What is the tool on the left laying on the bag?
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 1:50:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Shove knife for opening some locks.

Example:
Bypassing Door Latches ("Loiding")
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 7:37:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By grinning_bob:
View Quote

@grinning_bob, @sandboxmedic is correct, it's a "shove knife", either a Zak Tools or Chicago brand, I think "Shove It" is another. Pretty slim and simple for certain entry bypass options.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice set up.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
Shove knife for opening some locks.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUli0wtOnp4
View Quote

Fascinating.  Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

@grinning_bob, @sandboxmedic is correct, it's a "shove knife", either a Zak Tools or Chicago brand, I think "Shove It" is another. Pretty slim and simple for certain entry bypass options.

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By grinning_bob:

ROCK6

Thanks Rock6.  Great set up.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#7]
ROCK6

Great post.

A lot of each tool because I don’t recognize a few would be awesome.

I will say I have found those small pry bars to not be very effective. I replaced that in my kit with a Glaziers Bar which if have found to be far more useful.

I also added a painter 5-1 tool which I have one of in every bag I have. Heck I even use one to weed the yard. Lol

Link Posted: 12/31/2023 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Sadly every one of the tool kits I've seen like this have been filled with junk tools.  Do yourself a favor.  Buy a tool roll and fill it with good quality tools that won't break when you use it for a job it isn't intended to do.  Why you ask.  Because anytime you have a small number of tools you will likely not have all the right tools for the job.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jeepnik:
Sadly every one of the tool kits I've seen like this have been filled with junk tools.  Do yourself a favor.  Buy a tool roll and fill it with good quality tools that won't break when you use it for a job it isn't intended to do.  Why you ask.  Because anytime you have a small number of tools you will likely not have all the right tools for the job.
View Quote

Pretty sure his wife got him the bag and ROXK6 picked the tools.

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:29:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#10]
View Quote

Knipex is junk

It's exactly what I said it was, it's not a do-everything-with-the-right-tool kit, it's a small, grab and go kit when you don't have you tool chest or truck box handy. I'm not going to replace a V8 engine, it's simply for small repairs and assist with handling minor problems. Ultimately, these are better suited to the suburban and urban environments where there's more opportunities for smaller repairs.

I like the size of the bag actually, something you can just grab and toss in your travel bag or daypack. I do have a small tool-roll, but it holds similar size tools

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Hasher1:
ROCK6

Great post.

A lot of each tool because I don’t recognize a few would be awesome.

I will say I have found those small pry bars to not be very effective. I replaced that in my kit with a Glaziers Bar which if have found to be far more useful.

I also added a painter 5-1 tool which I have one of in every bag I have. Heck I even use one to weed the yard. Lol

View Quote

I'll get a list up later this week, but I hear you on the pry-bar; it's really more of just a nail-puller, or using it for stupid stuff you usually use your knife for. I have some other options, but it's the right size for the small bag...and light prying needs.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the Wera screwdriver kit. Might have to pick one up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Tell me about that mini Halligan Tool.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Hasher1:
Tell me about that mini Halligan Tool.
View Quote

It looks better than it really is. The head isn't one-piece, it's pinned (County Comm). It's fine for really light stuff that would save your fixe blade knife, but it will flex if you really put leverage against it. the Winkler is by far the better tool (son uses one for SWAT), a little heavier, but far more robust for serious prying.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:11:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
I like the Wera screwdriver kit. Might have to pick one up.
View Quote

I have most of the components, but not as well organized. It's not a bad little kit, it only has like one small flat-tip bit, but the rest seems pretty solid. Wera's bit drivers are pretty good, but I actually like the Prestacycle Pro T-Handle Ratchet with the extension:

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Neat little bag, isn’t it?  I have the same bag in OD with some basics in it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Knipex is junk

It's exactly what I said it was, it's not a do-everything-with-the-right-tool kit, it's a small, grab and go kit when you don't have you tool chest or truck box handy. I'm not going to replace a V8 engine, it's simply for small repairs and assist with handling minor problems. Ultimately, these are better suited to the suburban and urban environments where there's more opportunities for smaller repairs.

I like the size of the bag actually, something you can just grab and toss in your travel bag or daypack. I do have a small tool-roll, but it holds similar size tools

ROCK6
View All Quotes

Knipex is junk

ROCK6

Gotta admit, at first I was like then followed by
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#18]
My bag will fall apart very soon............

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By wildearp:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/tools_3_JPG-2843094.jpg
View Quote

Would you like me to say a little prayer for you, your tools and their case so that it doesn't spontaneously explode and kill you?  

It's amazing I'm still alive at all since I own a couple of Harbor Freight tools and have some Condor and Krydex gear.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 5:20:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#20]
At least this thread triggered me into finding a replacement bag.  I had to find an approved vendor that would take a PO and I see they carry Knipex too, so maybe I can join the fan club.  

FYI: DELL computer laptop cases used to have a bag like OP shows that was used for the power supply.  I have one that fits my portable JBL music box.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes

Looks well used!

It's amazing I'm still alive at all since I own a couple of Harbor Freight tools and have some Condor and Krydex gear.  

I'll be a little contrarian. I'm not a tool snob, although I do appreciate fine tools. For smaller kits, quite honestly Harbor Freight or your local ACE Hardware store will easily fill the need; I'm not putting a ton of torque on the small drivers or wrenches; not really its purpose. My kit is really overkill on quality, as these aren't necessarily the tools I frequently use around the house, similar, but I have some older (Knipes, Craftsman, Harbor Freight, Home-Depot brands) that get used more often.

ROCK6

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Gotta admit, at first I was like then followed by
View Quote

Well, to be fair, I think it was more about the size of the tools and not necessarily the quality (or I may be off base). It's pretty common sense that if you have the accessibility, sure, use the "right tool for the job". I sure as hell am not using the little mini-hex drive to take lug nuts off my truck, but I also don't want to grab a massive toolbox and stuff it in my day pack as part of my EDC or light-travel kit.

All these small kits are always going to be a compromise, but that doesn't mean they can't solve a myriad of "smaller" problems or minor fixes. The goal is to have something much more portable while still providing some options to handle some of those smaller problems. Most who scoff at these kits are likely professionals who have a truck or garage full of Snap-On tools as part of their job, so of course, these small kits don't make much sense to them; different worlds and requirements. I respect the serious mechanics, machinists, electricians, plumbers, and general handymen...I'm just a lowly, hobbyist tinkerer  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:33:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Knipex FTW !  Nice little tool kit ! I really mean it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 7:44:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#24]
Originally Posted By TigerForce:
Knipex FTW !  Nice little tool kit ! I really mean it.
View Quote

I actually used this small kit the other day at work. I only brought it in because my desk needed some adjustment (one of those standing or sitting desk platforms) which use large hex bolts to adjust. It's a pretty restrictive environment, so I had to keep in minimal. Well, we have two kitchen areas in our controlled area and the side I use had a Keurig type coffee pot leaking really bad and it was unplugged. I was able to unscrew the housing and found a loose brass fitting that looked like the culprit. What do you know, tightened it up with the small Knipex cobra pliers and no leaking.  

For me, that's kind of where these kits fit in. Yeah, we have cleaning and maintenance crews, but nobody ever puts in workorders. They usually just purchase a new appliance for replacement. This took me all of 10-15 minutes with the screwdriver/ratchet and Knipex Cobra pliers...

I have two organizers I need to play with:

Think Tank EDC Pouch 20:

And the Clip & Carry EDC Storage bag (which seems more promising):

These aren't that small, more medium sized. The Think Tank bags come in three sizes (the above is the biggest). Well built, but the elastic "tool" holders are too big. I think these are likely better suited to your electronic EDC travel shit rather than tools. Time will tell.

The Clip & Carry EDC bag seems more promising. Both sides show an expandable open area behind the elastic loop panel and the elastic loop panel seems to really give you a lot of flexibility for securing tools.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#25]
That think tank pouch looks like a handy size
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#26]
You made me pull mine out of the truck to revamp.  You can fit a good amount of stuff in these little pouches.  I need to get some prying implements for this one.  I've got a couple of the small CountyComm pry bars in my little Maxpedition mini kit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Dangus:
You made me pull mine out of the truck to revamp.  You can fit a good amount of stuff in these little pouches.  I need to get some prying implements for this one.  I've got a couple of the small CountyComm pry bars in my little Maxpedition mini kit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152/IMG_0192_jpg-3107143.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dangus:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152/IMG_0192_jpg-3107143.JPG

Here is a good option for an actual prying tool that is a bit more than the pocket or EDC style ones:

3 pack of Estwing pry bars.  Use the small one for your kit and toss the two larger ones in your regular toolbox.  Current price is $13.28 and probably less than most "fancy" EDC pry bars but more versatile in a mini kit.

STWING 3-Piece Pry Bar Set - 5.5", 7.5" & 10" Nail Pullers with Wide, Thin Blades & Forged Steel Construction - PB3PC

Attachment Attached File

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TRVCJBV/?coliid=I2NKALO4H1X1E7&colid=21EXXUM8YC0KM&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Also found some small bit drivers...  Perfect for smaller kits.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CGQMKVCK/?coliid=I3CEOTGMRT6WXV&colid=21EXXUM8YC0KM&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top