Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2023 12:59:26 AM EDT
Looking to get a couple portable camp chairs.  They need to be compact when folded up but want them to be comfortable to sit in.  Weight isn't important because I'm just carrying them in a Jeep Wrangler for outdoor adventures.  

What you recommend?  I have the normal folding chairs but looking for a more compact chair.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 1:52:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Google "Kermit Chair"
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 6:56:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Can use about whatever you want if the jeep is carrying it. When the weight is on my back, I might go for a little hunting stool. The tripod style collapse fairly well. I have one that flat folds and has a little pouch underneath. The pouch is great for my plastic trash while sitting near the fire eating or whatever, also throw my cigarette butts in there while hunting. It has to be strapped down tight or it will rattle and clang.

I haven’t seen any of the micro chairs be worth a dang after a while. They all seem to use plastic fittings which just break with a grown man’s weight.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#3]
These REI ones  have worked for me and held up for 3 years ok.  Light and compact.  But I'm well under 200 lbs.  don't think they would hold up to Ohio Average
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 7:10:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Google "Kermit Chair"
View Quote

Great comfy quality chairs. We bought a pair years ago when we were motorcycle camping.

Link Posted: 4/25/2023 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
These REI ones  have worked for me and held up for 3 years ok.  Light and compact.  But I'm well under 200 lbs.  don't think they would hold up to Ohio Average
View Quote

That’s the style I’ve seen fail a bunch. I don’t think they were REI or even higher end ones though.

Very comfortable.

The one busted on my buddy that’s around 5-10 175lb. Another friend has a higher end one that seems to be doing better, he’s about the same size.

A few more busted on guys over 200. I’m 220, so not even going to try. My folding stool has held up well. $10 at walmart, lasts a couple seasons. Definitely not as packable as the style you linked.

Haven’t seen an actual fatty try one. They know better.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Wife bought a half dozen of these. They are kinda heavy but fold compact. We'll find out this summer if they are  a)comfortable and
b) durable

Link Posted: 4/25/2023 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Me and the better half camp out of my Jeep and space is a premium.  Bag chairs aren't big and heavy but they are an odd shape for the cargo area.  We've both switched to these Front Runner director chairs.  They are pricey but very well made.  They fold up tiny as well as flat so packing them is easy.  There is a single and a double bag if you want to keep your interior clean.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/front-runner-expander-chair.html
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wife bought a half dozen of these. They are kinda heavy but fold compact. We'll find out this summer if they are  a)comfortable and
b) durable

https://i0.wp.com/shop.halifaxtrails.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/81NQlymCRL._AC_SL1500.jpg?fit=1500%2C1500&ssl=1
View Quote

My Wife and I have these as well.  Held up well over the last few years and supports my 250lb ass just fine
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Me and the better half camp out of my Jeep and space is a premium.  Bag chairs aren't big and heavy but they are an odd shape for the cargo area.  We've both switched to these Front Runner director chairs.  They are pricey but very well made.  They fold up tiny as well as flat so packing them is easy.  There is a single and a double bag if you want to keep your interior clean.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/front-runner-expander-chair.html
View Quote

Space definitely is a premium. It’s a TJ although we won’t have the rear seat in. I do really like the looks of those. They do seem to be a bit upright though vs more reclined back. Does it feel that way?
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Space definitely is a premium. It’s a TJ although we won’t have the rear seat in. I do really like the looks of those. They do seem to be a bit upright though vs more reclined back. Does it feel that way?
View Quote

Actually, no.  It sits back nicely.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Actually, no.  It sits back nicely.
View Quote

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#12]
We have a couple of these.  I like them because the back folds down and the collapse in a square package that stores more easily.
But holy cow, the price has gone up nearly $30 from when I bought mine.
I don't think these are worth $90

They're now more than the Front Runners, at that price, I'd get the Front Runners

King Camp

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Front Runner

MissingImage

The Front Runners have a storage bag
MissingImage

Link Posted: 4/25/2023 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I sat in a Dometic GO Compact Camp Chair in a local store and thought it was very comfortable. The back has a nice relaxed angle, but is still upright enough to eat comfortably in. I’m going to pick one up in a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 11:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Harbor Freight $20 on sale.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#15]
CLIQ is what you seek.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:40:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I am a big guy 6'4" and have gone through a lot of chairs.

if you're not carrying it a great distance, I highly recommend the Yeti trail head camp chair.

pricey but well-constructed, holds up to abuse and is very comfortable. I have had mine for around 3 years now.

Have used it a ton out and about and usually keep it set up on my back porch for everyday use.

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#17]
How much and how small does it have to collapse?
If I'm car camping anymore, I take a collapsible rocking chair. Seriously.
I got tired of one or more of the legs of a regular camp chair sinking into the ground, collapsing, being generally more uncomfortable to actually sit in than look at etc
This is what I got and its currently half off
https://www.rei.com/product/193047/alps-mountaineering-rocking-chair-2021
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:35:18 AM EDT
[#18]
https://www.thespruce.com/best-zero-gravity-chairs-4173637

Zero gravity chair if Jeep/car camping.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#19]
King kokoda

I have one of these. Bomb proof and comfortable. Totally recommend.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#20]
In for answers. The camp chairs my wife and I bought when we were in college in the late 90s are finally getting a bit worn. They were built way more solid than anything I can find now.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I have the REI one a prior poster linked as well as a no-name Amazon clone.  They both work fine.  I carry them in my day pack when the wife and I are on vacation.  Beats sitting on the ground.

The REI one is better constructed and packs smaller but costs about twice as much.  You do have to treat them with a bit of respect though and not flop down in them.  I also think 200 lb is a good guess on the weight limit.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:49:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Costco has a good selection.
Camping Chairs

My favorite is

Cascade Mountain Tech Ultralight Highback Chair,
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:56:14 AM EDT
[#24]
A good quality chair that you can find at your local Target is the Coleman Big and Tall Quad II Outdoor Portable Chair.

Coleman Big and Tall Quad II Outdoor Portable Chair
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 2:57:57 AM EDT
[#25]
surprised no one has mentioned the camp chairs with the round pegged feet like the REI and costco one pictured, are absolutely terrible for setting up your chair in rocks or any kind of soft ground
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Ended up with THESE chairs. Look very similar to the Costco ones. They are compact like I want. Seem to be pretty comfortable so far but haven’t really used them much  yet. I would not replace my other folding chairs with these since these take a little more time to set up and don’t feel as sturdy. They are reasonably comfortable while still being very compact so they are just want we wanted. We will be taking a trip soon and will be using them so it’s going to be a good shakedown.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#27]
The shock cord backpacking chairs have come a long way! I’ve had a Helinox Chair Zero for about 5 years now. It truly is ultralight and I bring it backpacking. It’s not super comfortable and does sink into soft soil quite a lot.

This year I got a Stoic High Pack chair and am blown away! It’s about twice as heavy as the Helinox but all for good reason. It has double thick poles, nice heavy fabric, a built in pad on the headrest, and is crazy comfortable! The feet are bigger and it does much better on loamy soil and sand!  Packs to about the size of 2 Nalgenes. Plus is 1/3 the price!

Helinox:

Stoic High Pack:

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
b) durable

View Quote

I Have threatened to beat my neighbor to death this his.

They seem to develop a terrible squeak that cannot be cured with Teflon or silicone spray.

Link Posted: 6/29/2023 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I like these for cheap portables;

10 - 20 bucks atacademy.  Very stout.

James Bender at Waypoint survival used this as a packframe for his backpack.  Looked interesting.

Doc
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#30]
REI Roadtrip Rocker.
Dig around on Amazon for returns or on sale ones though.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N6ZL6J3?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#31]
If you have a Hiker's Direct scout account, the Alps King Kong (800 lb weight rating) is $30 right now.  

I just ordered two after using another dad's at scout camp last week.

King Kong chair
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Bought these for my canoe trips along with the small table, I like it, packs up small enough

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top