User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 4:03:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a Jungle Blanket, and probably a half dozen poncho liners. I'd take the Snugpack over all the rest. It's a fantastic bag for down to around 40*. And there's an integrated bug screen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since learning about the poncho liners, I noticed there are other blankets out there for camping, travel, use on planes, etc. There's the Snugpak jungle blanket, of course along with a bunch of others. Termarest as noted above.

I have a Jungle Blanket, and probably a half dozen poncho liners. I'd take the Snugpack over all the rest. It's a fantastic bag for down to around 40*. And there's an integrated bug screen.

The Jungle Blanket is a blanket, not a sleeping bag with a bug screen.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since learning about the poncho liners, I noticed there are other blankets out there for camping, travel, use on planes, etc. There's the Snugpak jungle blanket, of course along with a bunch of others. Termarest as noted above.

Yeah, this can be a little confusing. The Jungle Blanket is just that, a blanket and it's cheaper (and it comes in an XL size for the big boys). The Jungle Sleeping Bag is more expensive, but more versatile.  It will open up to work just like a blanket or quilt, but also has the zipper to work as a sleeping bag; the advantage with the sleeping bag is that it does have a built in mosquito net face covering in sleeping bag mode.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, you got me. I have the Jungle Bag.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Saw this on the Woot…$42 and change

https://sport.woot.com/offers/snugpak-jungle-blanket-90x72-in-xlarge?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_sprt_2_28

The Snugpak X-Large Jungle Blanket is a warm, lightweight, travel-friendly alternative to a traditional blanket or poncho liner. The X-Large Jungle Blanket is for people who want a larger blanket; with dimensions of 90 inches long and 72 inches wide, you have found the blanket to suit your needs. The X-Large Jungle Blanket is ideal for extra warmth while camping, during emergencies, or enjoying a bonfire on a chilly night. Engineered with efficiency and heat retention in mind, this blanket will keep you warm on nights with temperatures as low as 36 degrees Fahrenheit. This superior heat retention is made possible with Travelsoft insulation, an ultra-lightweight fabric with high loft fibers tailored to Snugpak’s exact requests. The X-Large Jungle Blanket will also keep you dry and warm even in inclement weather; Paratex treated fabric ensures the blanket smells fresh if it cannot be washed regularly. The X-Large Jungle Blanket is a versatile, warm, windproof, innovative blanket designed for any adventure.

Imported
Blanket dimensions are 90 inches by 72 inches; suitable for camping and emergencies

Lightweight, high loft fiber insulation will not lose function even after compression packing; completely windproof to protect you from the elements

Temperature rating is 45 degrees Fahrenheit with a low of 36 degrees Fahrenheit; insulated for superior heat retention to keep you warm

Includes a compression stuff sack for compact, convenient travel; packed blanket dimensions are 6 inches by 10 inches

Keeps you dry in inclement weather; Paratex treated fabric ensures the blanket smells fresh if it cannot be washed regularly

Color: Olive
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:08:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Saw this on the Woot…$42 and change

https://sport.woot.com/offers/snugpak-jungle-blanket-90x72-in-xlarge?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_sprt_2_28

The Snugpak X-Large Jungle Blanket is a warm, lightweight, travel-friendly alternative to a traditional blanket or poncho liner. The X-Large Jungle Blanket is for people who want a larger blanket; with dimensions of 90 inches long and 72 inches wide, you have found the blanket to suit your needs. The X-Large Jungle Blanket is ideal for extra warmth while camping, during emergencies, or enjoying a bonfire on a chilly night. Engineered with efficiency and heat retention in mind, this blanket will keep you warm on nights with temperatures as low as 36 degrees Fahrenheit. This superior heat retention is made possible with Travelsoft insulation, an ultra-lightweight fabric with high loft fibers tailored to Snugpak’s exact requests. The X-Large Jungle Blanket will also keep you dry and warm even in inclement weather; Paratex treated fabric ensures the blanket smells fresh if it cannot be washed regularly. The X-Large Jungle Blanket is a versatile, warm, windproof, innovative blanket designed for any adventure.

Imported
Blanket dimensions are 90 inches by 72 inches; suitable for camping and emergencies

Lightweight, high loft fiber insulation will not lose function even after compression packing; completely windproof to protect you from the elements

Temperature rating is 45 degrees Fahrenheit with a low of 36 degrees Fahrenheit; insulated for superior heat retention to keep you warm

Includes a compression stuff sack for compact, convenient travel; packed blanket dimensions are 6 inches by 10 inches

Keeps you dry in inclement weather; Paratex treated fabric ensures the blanket smells fresh if it cannot be washed regularly

Color: Olive
View Quote

The regular size one is $36 on that site. I don't know whether it includes shipping.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:18:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Somewhat timely between this thread and some of the other recent threads on the site, this popped up tonight.  The USGI woobie is one of the pieces of equipment tested (it failed miserably) as is the Swagman (it did a little better).

Infrared Reflective Camouflage: An Introduction
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Still nothing for a response from G1E.
I think it's time to contact my card company and get the charge back going.

Edit Mastercard has done their thing now.
View Quote

Interesting. I've bought 3 liners from them and didn't have a problem. Things can change though...
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Interesting. I've bought 3 liners from them and didn't have a problem. Things can change though...
View Quote

Kinda why I posted the troubles
I remember when old grouch was gtg and then not. But both have lost my business.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I am a huge fan of the Snugpack Patrol Poncho Liner.  It has a hood and arms but you can wrap up in it arms inside in a bivy.  It fits larger than the patrol Parka.  Heavier and a little larger packed than their Jungle Blanket or Bag but warmer with thicker insulation.

I'm a bigger boy at 230 and 5'11" for reference.  

$50+ but just OK construction quality.  Good enough for me.

Easily warm enough to sleep or at least be safe if you hit the 40s with a tshirt.  Lower with proper clothing.

It's a bitch to get into the compression sack.  Trick: roll up and put in a plastic garbage bag which then makes it slippery going into the sack.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Snugpak Jungle blanket and Wiggys Ponch Liner. The Wiggys is very warm, but doesn't drap or compress very well. The Snugpak compresses very small, draps well and is fairly warm. I just purchased Therm A Rest Honcho Ponch and will update once I get it. They are on sale at Steep and Cheap for a fairly good price if anyone is interested.

Update

The Honcho Poncho arrived. It stuffs into it's own pouch that is located on the chest. When stuffed it is about the size of a small travel pillow, so it's a tad larger than the Wiggys. It has a lot of loft, think sleeping bag, and it seems like it should be fairly warm. I can see my wife throwing this on while sitting around the fire this fall.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:05:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Its pretty much a different category but If your looking for the high end of warmth to weight/packed size then I've been very happy with my revelation quilt from Enlightened equipment definitely not as durable as a woobie but better in every other way. It's my go to for 3 season use in the north cascade mountains and fair weather climbs on the volcanoes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Its pretty much a different category but If your looking for the high end of warmth to weight/packed size then I've been very happy with my revelation quilt from Enlightened equipment definitely not as durable as a woobie but better in every other way. It's my go to for 3 season use in the north cascade mountains and fair weather climbs on the volcanoes.
View Quote

I understand the purpose of the quilt, but don't understand why you wouldn't just get a sleeping bag with a lower temp rating. That way you only have to carry one bag and can just unzip the bag to vent if you get hot. You can't really use the quilt as a sleeping bag because you can't zip it up and you can't really use it as a blanket because it has a boxed foot. Taking one bag rated for the weather that you'll be camping in saves space, weight and cost.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I understand the purpose of the quilt, but don't understand why you wouldn't just get a sleeping bag with a lower temp rating. That way you only have to carry one bag and can just unzip the bag to vent if you get hot. You can't really use the quilt as a sleeping bag because you can't zip it up and you can't really use it as a blanket because it has a boxed foot. Taking one bag rated for the weather that you'll be camping in saves space, weight and cost.
View Quote

Did you mean to post that in the other thread asking about a quilt on top of a sleeping bag?

I use just the quilt paired with a thermarest xtherm for bottom insulation. With the straps wrapped around the pad it's essentially a seeping bag but you can skip the straps and unzip the foot to open it up into a blanket. For me it's about minimizing the size as much as weight of my gear. Ill overnight out of a 28L pack for technical routes to keep the pack size down for steep snow, ice, and rock climbing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Depending on how one's "quilt" is made, most users can install blackened solid brass (non-rusting) snaps (backed-up with some THIN webbing material) in order to make a "reasonable" sleeping bag out of the quilt, or allow it to be snapped-into a poncho that has compatible snaps.

IIRC, the correct size of snap is the #2 size for interfacing with existing snaps on USGI ponchos; but might be wrong.  

Snaps will never "seal" the bag/Woobie like a zipper will do, but most users can install snaps, with a little practice and the proper (and cheap) tools.  Few users have a suitable sewing machine, and the skill/knowledge required to use it.

There's a million ways to modify/upgrade older ltems that have some life left in them.  Go for it, if you wish; some trade-offs compared to modern items, and that's up to you, and your budget.

OTOH, if starting from scratch, and if budget allows, suggest skipping-over the cheap Milsurp items, and doing some research (and ultimate money-saving) in order to buy more modern items.

It's likely true that TWO GI Woobies are likely to be about as warm as ONE Wiggy's item (No Expert--Just a guess).  OTOH, the TWO GI Woobies are likely to have far greater bulk and weight.  Not to mention that the user will need to secure both woobies to each other AND the poncho, lest the unsecured woobies drift around and become useless as insulation.  Most folks that have used a GI Woobie that was not secured to the wind-breaking poncho understand that the insulating Woobie mysteriously migrates, and becomes less insulating.   I doubt most folks used the tie-down strings on the GI Woobie; they were there for a reason, but were a huge PITA to use, compared to (more expensive, HINT!) snaps.

More than one way to skin a cat, but suggest being aware of the differences between using re-purposed old Milsurp stuff, compared to saving-up and buying more modern stuff.

Room for both approaches, just be aware of the trade-offs.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top