Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2019 9:45:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeyCoach]
What colors produce for you and what is the water color like where you fish? Water around here has about a 3 foot visibility and has some algae stain.

I don’t have any luck with June bug. Sometimes green pumpkin doesn’t work, sometimes it does.

White, bubblegum, “candy” or “magic” colors haven’t produced much for me as well.

A color that I did have good luck with was Oxblood red.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:49:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: headstoner] [#1]
Fish see red last. Pretty clear water for the most part up here, big lakes you can see 20+ feet.

Bass seem to strike on anything, my go to in the river to catch bass is a regular daredevil or off brand red/white spoon. They hit that all day long.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:35:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Smoked Salt & Pepper grubs have always produced for me in the few states that I have lived in. That is usually for bass just to test the waters.
Bobby Garland shads for crappie in almost any color combo that I have put together yielded great results when I lived in MO.

Most water conditions are limited visibility, I'd say 10ft on a good day with no rain in a while.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Soft plastics I usually go for dark colors, Black/blue, blue fleck, sometimes black with like a green or blue tail, dark swirl colors, as for the Senko type worms Bass Pro Shop brand(Stik-O) does as well for me as the Yamamoto and for about half the price.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#4]
It really depends, I normally don't go out sight fishing anymore as I tend to rely on my electronics to concentrate on schools on structure when fishing deeper. Most of the water here is stained, I'll stick with gp, yoga pants, blue/black flake. Sometimes you have to dip the tails in spike it to get them going. I fish a lot of 5 hour derby's, covering a lot of water on lay downs and pockets are what I go after to cull in shallow areas. It's going to be one of those colors when I'm standing on the trolling motor.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Match the hatch. Also nothing is darker than black.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]
On my reaction baits, I like to have a light colored and a dark colored plus a bright flashy lure.

Like I have two white and a bluegill chatterbait, With the whites I have one with a gold blade and the other has a silver blade.

My lipless crankbaits, I have a white and black back, an orange and red, and the traditional a chrome and black back.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HeyCoach:
On my reaction baits, I like to have a light colored and a dark colored plus a bright flashy lure.

Like I have two white and a bluegill chatterbait, With the whites I have one with a gold blade and the other has a silver blade.

My lipless crankbaits, I have a white and black back, an orange and red, and the traditional a chrome and black back.
View Quote
Hard baits-again this is generically speaking. Ghost minnow or some version of works in every lake for me from the big O to lake Seminole. Top water plugs some type of white or cream belly, I have also done well with the orange and pink shower blows plugs. Shower blows are a great plug if you do not have one.

Night fishing I typically want dull no flash of any type, but when fishing lights I will throw lighter colors.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#8]
My general rule is the better the water vis, the lighter/more subtle the color and the more stained the water, the darker.

Clear water, I'll use a white/light blue or even a green pumpkin seed, dark stained water i'll use dark blue or black.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top