Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2020 7:45:04 PM EDT
So I have a small pond and have been clearing and regrading a section of the shore. It had been very wet when we bought this place and this year was normal to dry conditions. It was lawn / 30 feet of wet cattails and phragmites / then water. I'm trying to regrade it so more ground will stay dry, but between spring and late summer water levels change like 2 feet. I'm not 100% done, but it is October in Wisconsin now, should I throw some seed down now? Previously once everything grew up we couldn't even see the water, what should I be looking to plant on a wet/sometimes submerged shore that won't grow 8 feet tall?  Area to plant is about a 4:1 slope, good sun.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#1]
This is the reference book you are looking for.  I used it to plant around our 3 ponds.

Lakescaping for Wildlife and Water Quality

Available here cheaper: Morning Sky Greenery

I purchased most of our plants from a native plant nursery.  Hopefully there are some native plant nurseries in your area.

Thinking you may be a bit late to invest much into your plantings now.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I planted elderberries along my pond, they don't mind the water or drier land and sure beat cat tails, alders or phrag.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So far I just let the grass grow up along the shoreline of the two ponds which keeps the geese from coming ashore...or even wanting to land there.
View Quote

It's only a 1/4-1/3 acre and 4-6 feet deep. Its really more of a duck pond, no fish. When we bought the place it was the two wettest years in like 100 years, I've seen the water two feet higher than now. I just want something that won't get too tall so we can see the water and the dogs can get in and out better.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Might be getting late in your area but if you just need some cover until next year
look into winter wheat. Pasture wheat seed is cheap, it will grow until it freezing weather hits and
will be easy to kill next year when your ready to start landscaping again.
Top Top