BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/13/2018 5:26:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I doubt this is any true survivalists plan.  That would be the last place a prepared person would go.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've ran into folks where they are dead serious that this is their plan.
View Quote
I wholly encourage this from people in my life that I dislike. I don't discuss or help them with strategy though, because they would probably see the futility of it.

Just like people who say "I'm coming to your house when shit goes down."

I respond with "Bullets are provided free of charge  at very high speeds to those who show up unnannounced".

If they are a decent person, they'll ask for my help/ guidance in building their preps. If not, they get offended, and I tell them to fuck off before they get their rant started.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#5]
In that sort of situation I would only go to the walmart to look for supplies not stay there as everyone and their dog would think the same thing, I would be looking to avoid people so staying there would only be insuring I would come into contact with more people which would mean more risk.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Distribution center maybe.
And in a bunch of the country snow isn't a problem.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#7]
In a Lights Out/Lucifer’s Hammer type scenario I imagine there would be a lot of people killing each other in the Walmart aisles.   I base this on the way people conduct themselves during Black Friday and similar sales events. I’ Not one big gunfight, but several small fights going on simultaneously in the aisles and parking lot.

Unless you have an actual force, you are not taking over a Walmart.   Militarily, just holding a Walmart would take a platoon.  Getting all the stuff inside in some kind of order would take more.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Walmart?
WTF.

I'm taking over a Target, cause that's where all the hot milfs are.

ETA
And..... I just realized this isn't in GD.  I really miss active threads sorted by board.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Take a look at your local Walmart next Friday and tell me how it’d be any better if the SHTF. Yeah. I’ll pass.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Everyone is going to Walmart, i would pick a smaller place more out of the way.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Walmart? Fuck no. They're full of zombies NOW.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#12]
When the lights are on, there's gas in the pumps, and the rule of law is still in effect people will STILL trample you down at a Black Friday sale. Now imagine a Black Friday sale where if you're not one of the first ones through the door, you starve to death...and everyone had weapons...and the cops arent around...and it's the middle of the night.

Thats what WalMart will be like when the EAS announces the missiles are on the way.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
, what would you do with the MASSIVE amounts of perishable foods in a WM?
View Quote
don't get perishable food

/thread
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Go to a distribution center and drive a truck and trailer off.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When the lights are on, there's gas in the pumps, and the rule of law is still in effect people will STILL trample you down at a Black Friday sale. Now imagine a Black Friday sale where if you're not one of the first ones through the door, you starve to death...and everyone had weapons...and the cops arent around...and it's the middle of the night.

Thats what WalMart will be like when the EAS announces the missiles are on the way.
View Quote
How many Purge movies have there been?

High ranking officials will be safely in their bunkers deep underground putting Dr Strangelove's plan into action while the populace is running around playing warlord of the week and getting high on bloodlust. Bet they would even watch it on all the CCTV feeds and traffic cameras that are EVERYWHERE and place bets, just like Walking Dead, reality show version.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:31:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:16:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Walgreens or other corner drugstore would be my choice.  Generally only two ways in/out, some have high windows (easier to defend against intruders).  They carry lots of non-perishable food (don't really need any of that though), but they have drugs that would be critical for a significant portion of the population.  I would leave after I cleaned out a lifetime supply of a few prescriptions I need for my wife and non-perishable antibiotics.

I hope the pharmacist understands he is not my enemy.  I'd hope he/she'd be willing to trade....
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#18]
FYI pharmacies keep very little on hand and resupply every few days.
With luck depending on delivery you might get a few years worth.
Make a new plan.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Walgreens or other corner drugstore would be my choice.  Generally only two ways in/out, some have high windows (easier to defend against intruders).  They carry lots of non-perishable food (don't really need any of that though), but they have drugs that would be critical for a significant portion of the population.  I would leave after I cleaned out a lifetime supply of a few prescriptions I need for my wife and non-perishable antibiotics.

I hope the pharmacist understands he is not my enemy.  I'd hope he/she'd be willing to trade....
View Quote
The problem with drug stores is there is a certain segment of the population that would go there first,  before food or supplies.  I'm not even talking about the drugies and addicts,  I mean the good people who need a certain prescription every month just to live.  Drug stores would be hit early and hard.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Even if you get there first and secure the building how long before the masses burn you out?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:06:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#24]
By day three a Walmart has been looted to the bare shelves.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Just defending a Wal-Mart with its multiple entrances would be a tactical nightmare for group of less than 4 people.

Imagine seeing this hungry man appear in frozen foods late at night!

Now, you have to feed all these people defending your store and worry about what happens when food does run out.

Food runs out, will all those people sitting in the Wal-Mart for the past month be willing to work outdoors with you?

Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
FYI pharmacies keep very little on hand and resupply every few days.
With luck depending on delivery you might get a few years worth.
Make a new plan.
View Quote
I looked at this as more of an "either/or" question.  If I needed something, i.e. in between prescriptions, I wouldn't go to Walmart, I'd go to a drug store.  Wife keeps about 6 months worth of stuff on hand, I think that's the legal limit.  Expiration dates are years from now, they (the powers that be) don't let you keep much on hand for fear of something.  Just Zoloft and some cholesterol med, nothing exceptional.  Maybe the pharmacist would make me a deal

So as for a new plan, when it comes to prescription meds, not a whole lot of legal choices.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#27]
LE and local governments take over them first.

Seen it already.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:36:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Not to mention that I've never seen a well-insulated WM. I think they depend on the wasted heat to melt the roof to prevent a cave-in from snow-load. How the hell would you keep warm in a building with no insulation (in the northern states, anyway), and possibly a caved in roof?
View Quote
You could do worse than a building like a walmart w/ a camper or trailer inside it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:34:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Those places are probably best observed from afar. There are locations that would be overlooked at first if things went sideways fast. If you want to be Lord Humungus, think with your head.

If your survival "plan" involves looting, it'll catch up with you.

Get a couple weeks of food and stack up several cases of water.....ahead of time. It'll cost you less than $100 for a big bag of rice, big bag of beans, a bunch of canned goods, some spices, and 10 cases of water.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:51:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I looked at this as more of an "either/or" question.  If I needed something, i.e. in between prescriptions, I wouldn't go to Walmart, I'd go to a drug store.  Wife keeps about 6 months worth of stuff on hand, I think that's the legal limit.  Expiration dates are years from now, they (the powers that be) don't let you keep much on hand for fear of something.  Just Zoloft and some cholesterol med, nothing exceptional.  Maybe the pharmacist would make me a deal

So as for a new plan, when it comes to prescription meds, not a whole lot of legal choices.
View Quote
In my town the 24hr Walgreens has the biggest inventory but they restock every few days so with luck you might get there right after the delivery.
I would do away with the cholesterol med (I think there a scam for women) but we are all going to end up with depressed wives unless the new lifestyle removes the need.
When SHTF start titrating down over months on the meds don't wait to run out and go cold turkey.
I would start looking for natural alternatives that can be stockpiled if she and her Dr are willing.
You might find a functional Md that can get you off some of your meds.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#31]
You'd need a company-sized element to properly secure and hold the place
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've ran into folks where they are dead serious that this is their plan.
View Quote
Let’s assume someone is capable of taking over a Walmart during this typ of event.  Let’s also assume no one would make their own enterance dynamically to get the crap you have.

Let’s see, there’s an entrance, exit, vehicle service entrance, loading doc, employee entrance and fire exit every 200’ so for math let’s call it 10 entrances you have to defend. Let’s say you can “defend” an entrance with two people and that somehow you convince people you only need two shifts that’s 40 people you need just to watch the doors...

Okay so 40 people produce about .5 pounds of rear end furtilizer per day plus .5 gal of urine per day (about 3.5 pounds) so four pounds per person per day is 160 pounds of waste per day...Walmart is gonna feel small really quick even if you were able to burn the solid waste.

Same 40 people are going to need, very conservatively, 1 gallon of water per day per person so 40 gallons divided by 3 gallons of water per case that’s ~14 cases of water per day, 50 cases per pallet Walmart will have what? 10-15 days of water for 40 people?

I see some flaws in this plan
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
In that sort of situation I would only go to the walmart to look for supplies not stay there as everyone and their dog would think the same thing, I would be looking to avoid people so staying there would only be insuring I would come into contact with more people which would mean more risk.
View Quote
The bad people wont wait for it to be really bad before they hit it.

Hurricane Michael before it even made landfall...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You'd need a company-sized element to properly secure and hold the place
View Quote
Probably true^

And that might not be enough if the masses decide you have something they actually want.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#35]
One of my clients is a Boars Head distributor, next door is a storage facility for a local brewery. Neither building has any signage, if you don't know where to look, they blend in with all the other nondescript warehouses in the area.
That would be my "WalMart" in this scenario. Not to mention they have gennys to keep the coolers running, that'll give me a few extra days until the fuel runs out
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Becoming the target of hostility is to be avoided.

Topping off at the first sign of crisis is fine.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#37]
No problems anticipated, you can do it with a little help from your friends!

Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Didn't read the op, did you?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Didn't read the op, did you?
yeah I did

what would you do with the MASSIVE amounts of perishable foods in a WM?
my answer is a simple solution for your ASSumption of what people would take.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
If the SHTF, and you're taking over a Walgreen's...why on earth would the pharmacist still there in his vest looking to fill orders or trade?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Nearest walmart is 35 miles away..
Ill have to raid the BP or the local small market....
But id have the biggest domestic beer,cig and dip stockpile afterwards...
Then the hordes of methbillies would be the biggest threat.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Wal Marts are not exactly all in urban settings
View Quote
But the ones in rural settings are usually the major retail outlet in the area because the 'Mart drove out the small pop and pops that previously served that area, so even the diminished population it serves will be looking there for needed supplies.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not to mention that I've never seen a well-insulated WM. I think they depend on the wasted heat to melt the roof to prevent a cave-in from snow-load. How the hell would you keep warm in a building with no insulation (in the northern states, anyway), and possibly a caved in roof?
View Quote

a) no style of construction depends on waste heat to melt the snow to prevent a cave-in.  
b) lack of wall or roof insulation is a don't-care; you can't think of 87 ways to stay comfortably warm in a stocked walmart?  really?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#46]
OP - that idea is a raging shit show.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Interesting to see what she took and what was left: things like canned milk left in favor of flavored drinks?

They voted for it, they asked for it, they got it, they refuse to accept they did it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No problems anticipated, you can do it with a little help from your friends!

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/40/42/03/8528127/3/920x920.jpg
Interesting to see what she took and what was left: things like canned milk left in favor of flavored drinks?

They voted for it, they asked for it, they got it, they refuse to accept they did it.
What is also surprising is they destroyed the glass doors to the beer cases.  No reason to destroy everything when you are shopping other than proving that you are an animal.

Bill
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Walmart?
WTF.

I'm taking over a Target, cause that's where all the hot milfs are.
View Quote
Have only seen a few hot 'MILF'-types at the Target near me, but I have seen many really smokin' hot college co-eds shopping at the local Walmart.

Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#50]
The metrodome’s roof was essentially an air bag little different then a complete steel structure like a Walmart.  Walmart’s roof could handle a lot of snow but you’d still have to remove the snow eventually.  To stay warm in Walmart would be easy and no burning stuff required.  Look at all the building material and bedding to keep a small room warm with just body heat.

Fun fact the Mall of America doesn’t have a heating system in it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top