Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2022 9:57:49 AM EDT
So I’m in the early stages of planing a backpacking adventure in northern Minnesota. This will take place in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and the Superior National Forest.  Overall trip distance should be 200 miles and will take 2.5 to 3 months.  

I need tips and gear advice. I usually spend at least 7-14 days a year in this area but never 3 months. There will be no re supply, so what I bring with is what I have.  Fishing is phenomenal so that will be a big part of my diet.  My dog will becoming on the trip.

I will be doing this in spring next year or late fall this year. So the weather during these months can be anywhere from freezing, snow to hot and humid.. Water is everywhere so getting wet is a given. So clothes and outerwear will have to reflect pretty much zero degrees to 80.

On to the gear. I currently have a granite gear blaze 60l backpack, it’s a great pack that I got off of recommendations from here but it’s not big enough for this trip. So any suggestions on a large 90L+ pack?

Planned sleeping gear is my thermarest xtherm and a 0 degree enlightened equipment quilt.  I’ve used this set up many times and feel like it will work, I’m open to suggestions. Also my dog will need a sleeping bag?

I need a new tent. I’m looking at MSR elixir 2 person.

I have a garmin inreach for emergencies and texting the wife.

My dog needs a pack so he can help carry his own things. He’s a Australian Shepard and weighs 50 pounds.

Weight is going to be a huge factor and I’d like to keep it under 80lbs.

Thanks in advance for tips and gear advice. Any stories on how long backpacking adventures went is welcomed as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagged. Awesome.

I'm planning a similar trip....I want to walk across Michigan's UP.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TradWoodsman:
Tagged. Awesome.

View Quote

I’ve hiked in the UP a few times but never across it. It’s  beautiful country. Definitely get out and do it.

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:12:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flcracker] [#3]
What are your dietary plans for you and the dog, other than fish?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:16:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#4]
I did the boundary waters a few years ago, also went to see the wolf santuary in Ely.

Its beautiful. I went in spring when the nights were still in the low temp, but snow was gone, so bugs were at a minimum.

My advice is get good maps if you dont have gps, or a way to charge devices. The trails change appearance, get overgrown or faint to follow, markers are sometime hard to see or not there, lots of non official trails branching off the main ones.  Easy to get off the track. Land nav experience helps.

I only carried a zero bag, a groundsheet and a dew /rain sheet that I tied above. but I know there are lots of lightweight shelters out there now.

Also don't forget water purification tablets and a long rope to hang your backpack/foodstuffs way up in a tree.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GoldenMead:

I’ve hiked in the UP a few times but never across it. It’s  beautiful country. Definitely get out and do it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TradWoodsman:
Tagged. Awesome.

It really is. We have a camp in the far western UP. I love it. I also want to spend an entire hunting season up there after I retire. September through December...trap, fish, deer hunt, grouse....all of it.

I get up there about 3 weeks in the fall, but I would love to live the hermit life for the entire season.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:52:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pite0007] [#6]
Sounds like a fun trip OP.

200mi over 3mo though?
Planning on slow progress/enjoying the scenery/different nightly campsites, vs making time on a 100mi hike in?

You doing any portaging?

Not that it can't be done, but I wish you luck hitting the 80# mark - especially considering the range of weather conditions mentioned.

Have never done a bwcaw trip, but would recommend good socks and footwear; wool clothing, goretex outer layer; skeeter net; water purification and boiling, possibly collection system; small fishing kit; knives and sharpeners; flashlights and batteries; Paracord; 22 pistol (small game); 44 mag revolver (protection from 4 & 2 legged predators); tent/tarp/hammock/shelter; first aid; lighters and dry combustibles; hatchet/multi tool/trenching tool; maps and compass; Ziploc/drybags.

Probably a few items I've missed, but these should get you started.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 12:44:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GoldenMead] [#7]
Originally Posted By flcracker:
What are your dietary plans for you and the dog, other than fish?
View Quote

I typically bring ghee for my cooking oil and dehydrated meals that I make. The meals I make take up less room than mountain house meals.  

As to the amounts I have not figured that out. I’m thinking 5 pounds of ghee. I don’t eat breakfast, just lunch and dinner.

What to bring for food, I’m open to anything.

Edit: as to dog food I don’t know what to bring. He currently eats venison, eggs and fish every day. He’s never had dog food just raw meats and eggs.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By pite0007:
Sounds like a fun trip OP.

200mi over 3mo though?
Planning on slow progress/enjoying the scenery/different nightly campsites, vs making time on a 100mi hike in?

You doing any portaging?

Not that it can't be done, but I wish you luck hitting the 80# mark - especially considering the range of weather conditions mentioned.

Have never done a bwcaw trip, but would recommend good socks and footwear; wool clothing, goretex outer layer; skeeter net; water purification and boiling, possibly collection system; small fishing kit; knives and sharpeners; flashlights and batteries; Paracord; 22 pistol (small game); 44 mag revolver (protection from 4 & 2 legged predators); tent/tarp/hammock/shelter; first aid; lighters and dry combustibles; hatchet/multi tool/trenching tool; maps and compass; Ziploc/drybags.

Probably a few items I've missed, but these should get you started.
View Quote

I’ve been in the BWCA 20+ times so I’m very familiar with it. Usually I kayak in for 7-14 days. I’ve never hiked in for more then 7 days before.  

I am planning on slow progress because I want to enjoy it and spend a few days at certain spots.  There is a 20 mile stretch from south fowl lake to Grand Portage State park where there isn’t a way to bring a canoe.

I know this will be a challenge, it’s the reason I’m planning it so far out. Could I drop out before I complete my planned trip sure but I won’t know till I try.  I believe in pushing ones self. I try to do this as often as possible, I won’t grow as a person if I don’t try.

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:52:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Smitty357] [#9]
this is a big endeavor in true wilderness (i've been to BWCA about a dozens times for 5-6 day trips).  

I would take a look at Andrew skurka's writings - he has done very long trips

with all the water - foot care should be a watch point

i'd would also want to watch diet variety - maybe include a multi-vitamin?

take a look at the offerings at bushcraftusa.com - they are very willing to teach

excited for you - i will be thru hiking the SHT in Sept 2023 when I retire - but that is only ~16/17 days

subscribing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Might be worthwhile to cache some supplies along your route rather than plan to live off the land?
Is that an option?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#11]
You need a gun.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
Might be worthwhile to cache some supplies along your route rather than plan to live off the land?
Is that an option?
View Quote

Half way through the trip there is an outfitter that will be near the route I’m taking. I thought about leaving supplies with them. If I can’t think of a way to care enough or catch enough calories I’ll have to leave a resupply. But I’d like to explore my options first.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Rye-Straight:
You need a gun.
View Quote

G19 will be coming along.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:42:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Check out pemmican on utube. Might be able to share that with the dog. Wrist rocket for grouse
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:58:14 AM EDT
[#15]
That's a long hike without any resupply.  But you know that.  Only fish would get old for me, and you'll find yourself wanting carbs.

One comment and one comment only:  An 80-pound pack is a snarling monster on a hike like that.  Do not neglect to do a couple shakeout hikes of 3-5 days.  You'll likely decide to remove a few things from the pack and just make do.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#16]
So I’m in the early stages of planing a backpacking adventure in northern Minnesota. This will take place in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and the Superior National Forest.  Overall trip distance should be 200 miles and will take 2.5 to 3 months.  

I need tips and gear advice. I usually spend at least 7-14 days a year in this area but never 3 months. There will be no re supply, so what I bring with is what I have.  Fishing is phenomenal so that will be a big part of my diet.  My dog will becoming on the trip.

I will be doing this in spring next year or late fall this year. So the weather during these months can be anywhere from freezing, snow to hot and humid.. Water is everywhere so getting wet is a given. So clothes and outerwear will have to reflect pretty much zero degrees to 80.

On to the gear. I currently have a granite gear blaze 60l backpack, it’s a great pack that I got off of recommendations from here but it’s not big enough for this trip. So any suggestions on a large 90L+ pack?

Planned sleeping gear is my thermarest xtherm and a 0 degree enlightened equipment quilt.  I’ve used this set up many times and feel like it will work, I’m open to suggestions. Also my dog will need a sleeping bag?

I need a new tent. I’m looking at MSR elixir 2 person.

I have a garmin inreach for emergencies and texting the wife.

My dog needs a pack so he can help carry his own things. He’s a Australian Shepard and weighs 50 pounds.

Weight is going to be a huge factor and I’d like to keep it under 80lbs.

Thanks in advance for tips and gear advice. Any stories on how long backpacking adventures went is welcomed as well.
View Quote

Sounds exciting, take care of the dag... Good luck and post entries of your trip when possible...
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Small update:

I’ve been talking with an outfitter in the area about my trip. He’s willing to drop off supplies at predetermined locations along my route.  Haven’t decided to go this route but it’s definitely an option I should consider.

I’m thinking about buying a Exo Mountain k3 6400 pack for this. I’ve seen recommendations for Exo Mountain packs several times in different threads. It definitely has more room than any of my current packs. Anyone here have personal experience with them?

Conditioning.  I’ve been hiking 10 miles a day the last two weeks with 60 lbs.  

I’m going to try to do this trip next spring. I don’t think I’ll be ready by fall. Also I want to try a shorter trip this fall for a few weeks to try out everything.  The outfitter I’ve been talking to is more excited than I am about this.  He’s seen people spend months out using canoes but never seen someone backpack that long.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#18]
This 2-3 month hike escalated to me taking 9 months off next year.

So here is what I’m planning.

Mid April start my hike through the bwca in northern Minnesota. This should last until the middle of June.  I’ve ironed out most of the details. I’m going to use two friends to resupply me. They will be joining me for a week each.

My wife wants to go hike in the Rocky Mountains.  I have never been there so any place or places we should go please give some recommendations.  This will start the third week in June for 2-3 weeks.

So this should take us to around the middle of July.  I have nothing planned yet for the rest of 2023.  I’m thinking about a month in the bwca using a canoe. Id also like to hike the superior hiking trail in the fall.

This leaves a lot of time to travel to other places in the US.  Hiking and camping is what I want to do.  So any recommendations on places a person should hike once in their lifetime?

I’ll get a gear list put together for my first trip so you guys can critique it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 8:30:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BLKVooDoo] [#19]
This 2-3 month hike escalated to me taking 9 months off next year.

So here is what I’m planning.

Mid April start my hike through the bwca in northern Minnesota. This should last until the middle of June.  I’ve ironed out most of the details. I’m going to use two friends to resupply me. They will be joining me for a week each.

My wife wants to go hike in the Rocky Mountains.  I have never been there so any place or places we should go please give some recommendations.  This will start the third week in June for 2-3 weeks.

So this should take us to around the middle of July.  I have nothing planned yet for the rest of 2023.  I’m thinking about a month in the bwca using a canoe. Id also like to hike the superior hiking trail in the fall.

This leaves a lot of time to travel to other places in the US.  Hiking and camping is what I want to do.  So any recommendations on places a person should hike once in their lifetime?

I’ll get a gear list put together for my first trip so you guys can critique it.
View Quote

I am planning to do the Isle Royale tour again next year. I did the whole island back in 2005 and part of it in 2015. I would like to do the whole island again, solo. It took me 3 weeks last time. And I will not do it when the the moose are in rut. That sucked.

I am going to canoe the entire St Croix river first week in September this year.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BLKVooDoo:

I am planning to do the Isle Royale tour again next year. I did the whole island back in 2005 and part of it in 2015. I would like to do the whole island again, solo. It took me 3 weeks last time. And I will not do it when the the moose are in rut. That sucked.

I am going to canoe the entire St Croix river first week in September this year.
View Quote

I keep forgetting about Isle Royale. I need to add that to the list.  Do you need a permit to hike and camp overnight?  Did you have to bring everything with you over there or is there a store to resupply at?  Any additional information is appreciated.

St Croix river will be fun!
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 6:43:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BLKVooDoo] [#21]

I keep forgetting about Isle Royale. I need to add that to the list.  Do you need a permit to hike and camp overnight?  Did you have to bring everything with you over there or is there a store to resupply at?  Any additional information is appreciated.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BLKVooDoo:

Yes, you need to go through Michigan Parks to get the permits. They have a place in Grand Portage MN to get the permits. You can only camp at the same campsite for 1-3 consecutive nights, then you have to move on. No campfires are allowed on the island. You need to bring everything, water filter system, food, stove, etc.. There is no practical restocking on the island, there is a small gift shop in Windigo, but it is nothing special. It is a 2+ hour boat ride from Grand Portage. You can bring a canoe, and canoe around the island, but I opt for the hiking. Do not go during August or September. Moose are in rut and bull moose are not to be played with.

They do have some trout streams and you can catch salmon on the eastern side of the island. The island is 41 miles long, and 9 miles wide. From the port in Windigo, there are some campsites that about 4 miles away, then the next site are 9 miles.

Isle Royale is a lot more pristine and untouched than the Boundary Waters. You can go days without seeing signs of humans.

https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/maps.htm

https://www.isleroyaleboats.com/

https://www.rockharborlodge.com/transportation
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#22]
You can buy freeze dried raw dog food.
Keeps the weight down and safe unrefigerated.

There are a few brands available. The only one I have feed my dogs is Stella and Chewy's.

https://www.stellaandchewys.com/dog-food/freeze-dried-raw/meals/

Nature's Diet is another brand where the manufacturer says it is sourced and made in the U.S.

https://www.chewy.com/natures-diet-fresh-beef-simply-raw/dp/344413
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top