Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2018 3:03:42 PM EDT
I was just looking thru my supplies and noticed I had a twin pack of smooth peanut butter, I had a date written on it  of 6/2011 and a use date of 2/2013
Is it GTG or throw away? I did open and taste it, seems okay, taste might be a bit off, seal and jar were fine.
I'm about to make some of my own peanut butter and wanted to add some store bought to it to help make it a bit more creamy, think I will go ahead and use it.
What's the worse that could happen?, sorry guns and ammo are promised to someone else.
I also have a single jar with a use date of 2/2014.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I put  some of the older peanut butter in with the new peanut butter I made, no problems, the mix was about 75% new and 25% old.
The old peanut butter was fine, maybe a little off on the taste, I really couldn't tell much difference.
I still plan to use the older peanut butter, this is Jiff brand creamy, I was comparing the taste to some Skippy brand creamy all natural that I have.
The oil in it seems to be fine, I did dig down into the jar a few inches and the PB seem fine, still creamy.
I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Nearly all those dates are: 'best if used by dates' ( not the product needs tossed date )

And are the absolute low end of manufacturers recommendations.

I am sure the peanut butter is fine for consumption all this year.

Buy another couple to store and rotate those to current use
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd be worried about the oil going rancid myself, but we buy the hippy "must stir" stuff
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]
oil only goes bad with O2, if in a sealed container the vitamins/flavours will degraded over time but it will still been good.

Ive posted this before but last year I was eating on 2009 green beans, soup cans from the 2010s, spices I packed away in 2007, and other misc stuff that survived a 2400mi move.

If you break the seal and it smells or the taste will make you gak, its not good.

Other than that enjoy

ETA

I still have apricot jam from 2007 that I eat all the time-a little browner than when I packed it but still good.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Stuff like that goes to the chickens and we eat the fresh eggs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:43:38 PM EDT
[#7]
The way I rotate, I'm usually eating 2 to 3 year old peanut butter and have no problems.  As said above, it's air tight until you break the seal.  I've never had any go rancid and I like to keep several jars on hand.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I am in the process of rotating some of my oldest supplies out of storage, anything that isn't sealed in a mylar bag.
Some of the older can goods I checked last year had to go in the trash, at least five years old.
I am just starting to check the peanut butter so decided to open the oldest jar, as I said in earlier post it seems just fine.
I will go ahead and use the two other jars as I need them and replace.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#9]
peanut butter is cheap.  Throw the old crap away and buy some new product.  Practice 'first in, first out' with your preps, and avoid this.
SHTF is not  upon us, and we don't live in a post apocalyptic world.    Just saying.................

:)
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#10]
peanut butter is cheap. Throw the old crap away and buy some new product. Practice 'first in, first out' with your preps, and avoid this.
SHTF is not upon us, and we don't live in a post apocalyptic world. Just saying.................

Uh, well that is what I am doing, first in first out with the preps.
It just so happens the first in is okay to use, so that's what I will be doing and will be adding more.
Try READING the post and maybe you can figure some of these things out, just saying..................:)
And yes, SHIFT is not upon us, so glad you can figure that one out, just saying.........................:)
And we don't live in a post apocalyptic word, not yet, just saying.........................................:)
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#11]
We buy the bulk bags of Hoosier Hill Farms dried peanut butter.

When we reconstitute it we use about half the water called for and use cane syrup or honey for the rest of the process.

Dried Peanut Butter

I have bought many many items from this company. Butter, milk, cheese, spinach, kale, etc.

It all get repackaged in smaller increments in mylar with oxygen absorber.

Good luck with your jars. I'd eat them as long as they past the smell and taste test.

Jars of peanut butter don't last long at my house.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:35:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All I can tell you is any of that has oil in it food stuffs, doesn't keep well.  I can't testify to the nutritional value because I can't get past the taste goes to hell.

I do have a couple cans of peanut powder that the oil and moisture was taken out for long term storage but honestly, I haven't opened any.  It was too hard to come by.  IT was one of those place an order and wait six months things.

The way to think of it is just like peanuts.  If you keep peanuts around to munch on how even in a glass jar or sealed can they go bad so quickly.

Pretty much you have to freeze dry it and keep all the moisture away for it to keep anytime at all

Tj
View Quote
Have you tried PB Fit? Sounds exactly like what you're talking about but in plastic jars. It's Prime eligible too.

Also sounds like the same stuff that Pangea posted at Hosier Hill too but not nearly as good a price/weight value as theirs.

I picked up some of the PB Fit when my local Sam's Club had it in stock on a one time buy for like $8 a 30oz jar. I repackaged it in Mylar with oxygen absorbers.

Quoted:

When we reconstitute it we use about half the water called for and use cane syrup or honey for the rest of the process.

Dried Peanut Butter

I have bought many many items from this company. Butter, milk, cheese, spinach, kale, etc.

Good luck with your jars. I'd eat them as long as they past the smell and taste test.

View Quote
Thanks for that link! Never heard of them but I can definitely see myself picking some stuff up from them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you tried PB Fit? Sounds exactly like what you're talking about but in plastic jars. It's Prime eligible too.

Also sounds like the same stuff that Pangea posted at Hosier Hill too but not nearly as good a price/weight value as theirs.

I picked up some of the PB Fit when my local Sam's Club had it in stock on a one time buy for like $8 a 30oz jar. I repackaged it in Mylar with oxygen absorbers.

Thanks for that link! Never heard of them but I can definitely see myself picking some stuff up from them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All I can tell you is any of that has oil in it food stuffs, doesn't keep well.  I can't testify to the nutritional value because I can't get past the taste goes to hell.

I do have a couple cans of peanut powder that the oil and moisture was taken out for long term storage but honestly, I haven't opened any.  It was too hard to come by.  IT was one of those place an order and wait six months things.

The way to think of it is just like peanuts.  If you keep peanuts around to munch on how even in a glass jar or sealed can they go bad so quickly.

Pretty much you have to freeze dry it and keep all the moisture away for it to keep anytime at all

Tj

Quoted:

Dried Peanut Butter

You're welcome.

I've been doing this kind of stuff for a very long time. Feel free to ask questions. I don't know the answers to everything, but I know more than the average Joe.

Many on this board are well versed in food preparations.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nearly all those dates are: 'best if used by dates' ( not the product needs tossed date )

And are the absolute low end of manufacturers recommendations.
View Quote
Also, those recommendations assume storage at room temperature.

Stored unopened in the fridge, you could probably increase them by a factor of 3 or 4.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 12:16:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You're welcome.

I've been doing this kind of stuff for a very long time. Feel free to ask questions. I don't know the answers to everything, but I know more than the average Joe.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tj

Quoted:

Dried Peanut Butter

You're welcome.

For sure! I've learned a lot thanks to the Survival forum over the years here. It's definitely one of the site's great assets. Started prepping not long after I joined ARFCOM and am probably stocked with over a years worth of immediate preps with longer term supplies (seeds, water treatment, etc.) as well.

I've had a lot of luck getting powdered products for long term storage from Gordon Food Service like cheese, potatoes, and a bunch of other stuff but they don't carry some of the stuff Hoosier Hill seems to carry like the butter and PB powders.

Had never run across Hoosier Hill before and, in true ARFCOM tradition, this place will likely cost me more money.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 1:59:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I have been eating on peanut butter from early 2015 that is still completely fine. 2011 might be pushing it, but I have no first hand experience with peanut butter that old.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I can get PB powder at the grocery store.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 11:51:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Your senses are actually a good gauge of whether something is good to eat.  If it still smells and tastes OK, it probably is.

Maybe this is obvious, but you should either have a better system for knowing when expiration dates are coming up or do a better job of storing what you actually eat, such that rotation is quicker.  I don't store food for the end of the world, more like a few weeks, so this is easier for me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#19]
2011 and tasting a bit off means I would let the pups have some fun with it.

I am picky on peanut butter.

Jif keeps fine but not as well as some other stuff.

I never have a problem rotating it and I don't stock enough for it to get far out of date or sometimes even to its date.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top