Site Notices
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 16 of 55)
Page / 55
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#1]
14.316 for a while
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Planning on heading back to the first park I ever activated from in the morning, haven’t activated there since.   I looked up the park to see what kind of activity it’s had since then and they have me listed as the first activator of it.  I know there was at least one there before me, same guy did the first activations of bunch of parks around me.  Do they ever disqualify an activation?  Seems odd.  Anyway, I guess I got to be the first.  IIRC, there’s only maybe one left in MN that hasn’t been activated.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:44:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Tried FT8 for the time. Didn't have much luck. I'm gonna try again tomorrow. I wasn't decoding much and settings were good to go. So I'm going to try my WRC and see if it does better. I don't think G5RV was listening all that well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bluedog1971:
Planning on heading back to the first park I ever activated from in the morning, haven't activated there since.   I looked up the park to see what kind of activity it's had since then and they have me listed as the first activator of it.  I know there was at least one there before me, same guy did the first activations of bunch of parks around me.  Do they ever disqualify an activation?  Seems odd.  Anyway, I guess I got to be the first.  IIRC, there's only maybe one left in MN that hasn't been activated.
View Quote
I think if someone deletes themselves from POTA, it removes their QSOs and such also.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:58:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
That would work great for the higher bands. I have a wrc mini, and a 17' whip. They claim I should be able to do 10-80 with it. Here's hoping. I am hoping once my fittings get here I will find out. Feeling good enough to get out now, and it is starting to warm up.
View Quote

Yes you will.

I also have the TIA WolfRiver coil and the MFJ 17 foot telescopic.

With 4 elevated radials about 1 foot off the ground it seems to be very efficient on 40 m and does a good job on 80 meters.

I have used 5 watts into eastern EU on 20 and 40 and 100 watts into a regional net on 80m on field day camping.

I also go to the ocean beach and stick a stake in damp sand and run with no radials but the ocean, it is the perfect ground system.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:08:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#6]
Still camping and activating but I did some CW this morning. Whew, that was stressful. It was ok with one hunter at a time. Then I got smacked with 2-3 at a time. I always wondered how you pick someone out of a group. But I found out that listening to the tone of one person isn't too hard.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat461:
Still camping and activating but I did some CW this morning. Whew, that was stressful. It was ok with one hunter at a time. Then I got smacked with 2-3 at a time. I always wondered how you pick someone out of a group. But I found out that listening to the tone of one person isn't too hard.
View Quote

Thanks for the P2P!  You had a nice signal up here.

I had a nice morning of hiking & radio.  Hadn’t been to this park for almost two years.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:38:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#8]
Two night camping trip into a park that's within K-4414 Angelina National Forest. The good thing about the Natl Forests in my part of Texas is they are huge and cover just about everywhere that isn't privately owned. So a lot of the Corp of Engineers parks are within their boundaries even though they aren't listed. This was on the banks of Lake Sam Rayburn, about 35 miles north of Jasper, Texas. Did some Phone, CW and FT8 this go around. My 891 gave me some fits with FT8, but finally got it lined out. I was totally on battery this time. Used my solar panel during the day to keep my Bioenno up and running. It did a damn fine job. Operated from Monday night, Tuesday day and Tuesday night. Alternated between a WRC and a G5RV.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#9]

email from my Regional Coordinator   --   THE SELF UPLOADER

Aloha POTA folk!

I wanted to drop in and give you a little sneak peak at things to come.....

...namely THE SELF UPLOADER (pause for dramatic effect)

That's right. It's almost here. If you want a sneak peek, Vance N3VEM went on Ham Radio 2.0 to give a look at it. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ4If8-c12s

It starts getting into it around the 24:00 mark.

POTA Results and Scores for Support Your Parks Weekend, April 2022
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh that'll amazing. Region 5 is busy and gets back logged.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Derek45:

email from my Regional Coordinator   --   THE SELF UPLOADER

Aloha POTA folk!

I wanted to drop in and give you a little sneak peak at things to come.....

...namely THE SELF UPLOADER (pause for dramatic effect)

That's right. It's almost here. If you want a sneak peek, Vance N3VEM went on Ham Radio 2.0 to give a look at it. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ4If8-c12s

It starts getting into it around the 24:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ4If8-c12s
View Quote

cool
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I answered a pota cq on 146.52 this morning. Had the radio on scan and he popped up.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Any POTA guys near Grand Junction Colorado? I’m here for a week or so and gonna bang out a few.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:
Any POTA guys near Grand Junction Colorado? I’m here for a week or so and gonna bang out a few.
View Quote

Oh you are going to disappoint a bunch of people. Damn, an AK call sign coming in 59.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Oh you are going to disappoint a bunch of people. Damn, an AK call sign coming in 59.
View Quote

That's definitely gonna happen. Stand by for crying post to the Facebook group.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Sounds like fun! Lol. I don’t have Facebook. I was pretty well received when I did Florida earlier in the year.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Sounds like fun! Lol. I don't have Facebook. I was pretty well received when I did Florida earlier in the year.
View Quote
You aren't missing anything. It's mostly people who barely hunt much less activate telling activators what they should be doing. It's all very tiresome.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#20]
@tyrex13

How'd you do? I went to work out just as you started and you finished by the time I got back.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#21]
@tyrex13

How'd you do? I went to work out just as you started and you finished by the time I got back.
View Quote

I found an entity that had only one activation that I was able to 4x4 my rental Ford Fusion into. I had the fam I including baby. I was on the air 17 minutes and made over 20 contacts. All 4 corners of the country. We’re the bands great tonight or is POTA just easy in the States? Lol. Had a blast. I’m gonna do a massage much as I can while I’m here.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:53:42 PM EDT
[#22]

I found an entity that had only one activation that I was able to 4x4 my rental Ford Fusion into. I had the fam I including baby. I was on the air 17 minutes and made over 20 contacts. All 4 corners of the country. We're the bands great tonight or is POTA just easy in the States? Lol. Had a blast. I'm gonna do a massage much as I can while I'm here.
View Quote
It probably is considerably easier down here than up there, but the bands are in pretty good shape.  If you can get the time, you can knock out triple digits with no problem.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#23]
It probably is considerably easier down here than up there, but the bands are in pretty good shape.  If you can get the time, you can knock out triple digits with no problem.
View Quote

It was nonstop pileup from the spot until I filled the page. I would like to try to do a couple longer ones.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:05:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Beautiful place there. I'll try to catch you on the next one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#25]
I have never seen an activation of a Mississippi or Hawaii or Vermont park.  Gotta be some, but I just have never seen one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RED_5:

same

my need list is

AK, HI, MN, MT, ND, NE, NH, NM, NV, SD, VT

I've worked hunters  in most of those, just not working out in the opposite direction.
I guess FL be like it is, things were "easier" in CO (~middle Conus)

when I was in CA, picking up JA's was almost a daily thing,  now thats a bit far removed.

still looking for any QSO in Africa.
View Quote

I’ve never worked Africa either..

I get Florida a lot though. Just go to the beach sometime. I’m down to schedule it with you.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:23:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#28]
They're around but not often.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By K0UA:
I have never seen an activation of a Mississippi or Hawaii or Vermont park.  Gotta be some, but I just have never seen one.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

There is a MS park right now.  I work them fairly often.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a question for experienced activators.

I was taking the extra class practice test last night, and there was a question that came up concerning stations in wilderness areas.  It said that you have to submit some kind of environmental impact assessment to the FCC before setting up a station in a wilderness area.  Does this apply to a temporary portable station, because the brief question and answer didn't go into detail about it.

The left got multiple thousands square miles of BLM land in my area turned into designated wilderness, so this could make it very cumbersome to do any activations from multiple park sites in the area.

If your antenna is no more invasive than a camera tripod would be, I don't see how they can seriously require an environmental impact approval.  What about handheld radios?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:09:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#31]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
I have a question for experienced activators.

I was taking the extra class practice test last night, and there was a question that came up concerning stations in wilderness areas.  It said that you have to submit some kind of environmental impact assessment to the FCC before setting up a station in a wilderness area.  Does this apply to a temporary portable station, because the brief question and answer didn't go into detail about it.

The left got multiple thousands square miles of BLM land in my area turned into designated wilderness, so this could make it very cumbersome to do any activations from multiple park sites in the area.

If your antenna is no more invasive than a camera tripod would be, I don't see how they can seriously require an environmental impact approval.  What about handheld radios?
View Quote
I've never done it before. Never had anyone say I needed to do it either. You may come across a ranger or supervisor of some kinda who may give you trouble. But of the probably dozens of activations a day the number of people who get hassled is very small.

Also I've never seen this mentioned by any other activators either. It's probably a very specific scenario just as an actual wildlife preserve versus just a nature area or something. I wouldn't be surprised if some places are off limits.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#32]
This was the question from the pool.  I guess it hinges on the definition of "placing".  Nothing about "operating" or "transmitting".

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah maybe placing makes the difference.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#34]
This was the question from the pool.  I guess it hinges on the definition of "placing".  Nothing about "operating" or "transmitting".

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/80518/Screenshot_20220527-153831_HamStudy_jpg-2399119.JPG

View Quote

That rule pertains to more permanent installations, or those that would have a lasting impact on the environment.  Think like digging a hole to pour a concrete foundation for an antenna tower type stuff.  It is not applicable to the kind of portable/temporary stations you use in POTA.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By D_Man:

That rule pertains to more permanent installations, or those that would have a lasting impact on the environment.  Think like digging a hole to pour a concrete foundation for an antenna tower type stuff.  It is not applicable to the kind of portable/temporary stations you use in POTA.
View Quote

I agree. Placing to me is leaving behind.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Parks are not normally designated wildlife areas are they?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
Can depend on states I think, at least for POTA in Ohio we do have a large number of our state wildlife refuges in the program, these are like wetlands and public nature preserves.  PA has all it's state public hunting lands in POTA as well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
Most of the wildlife areas in most states are listed.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Lost my POTA activation virginity tonight.  I activated K-1787  Table Rock State park not too many miles from my home.
I went there just to reconnoiter, because I had never been there before, but once there, I decided to just "go for it" and spotted myself and set up HAMRS on my phone. It worked well enough, and I did not even set up the antenna extender, just operated in the truck with the mobile whip.  13 entities from east to west coast and British Columbia, and even scored SD, something I had not worked before on POTA. I didn't bring my battery either so ran off of the truck battery, but when I started the truck after I was finished, it did not even down the radio so there was plenty of voltage left in the truck's starting battery. So It worked out well and I sent in the file to the KØ mailbox.  We shall see if it is accepted.

73   James K0ua
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:16:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Lost my POTA activation virginity tonight.  I activated K-1787  Table Rock State park not too many miles from my home.
I went there just to reconnoiter, because I had never been there before, but once there, I decided to just "go for it" and spotted myself and set up HAMRS on my phone. It worked well enough, and I did not even set up the antenna extender, just operated in the truck with the mobile whip.  13 entities from east to west coast and British Columbia, and even scored SD, something I had not worked before on POTA. I didn't bring my battery either so ran off of the truck battery, but when I started the truck after I was finished, it did not even down the radio so there was plenty of voltage left in the truck's starting battery. So It worked out well and I sent in the file to the KØ mailbox.  We shall see if it is accepted.

73   James K0ua
View Quote

Nice work! It's addicting...
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:56:25 AM EDT
[#41]
I transmitted from a park when I went camping, and made several contacts in AR and 3 special event stations and some other states, just spinning the dial. I didn't have any logging software, so I logged them on paper, and put them in when I got home. With my laptop I can log in hamrs and qrz using my phone as a hotspot. I will take the weight penalty of the laptop for the keyboard and larger screen.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 3:11:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#42]
I signed up this evening.  I am going to try hunting a few before trying an activation.

I installed HAMRS but need to practice filli g out the data. I also need to make sure I can upload logs to LOTW as well.  I haven't done that since 2017 and don't remember anything about it.

I heard an activator on 14.330 this evening but it was about a 3-2 signal so I didn't try to respond.  It was the motivation I needed to get my account set up though.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 8:31:54 AM EDT
[#43]
I signed up this evening.  I am going to try hunting a few before trying an activation.

I installed HAMRS but need to practice filli g out the data. I also need to make sure I can upload logs to LOTW as well.  I haven't done that since 2017 and don't remember anything about it.

I heard an activator on 14.330 this evening but it was about a 3-2 signal so I didn't try to respond.  It was the motivation I needed to get my account set up though.
View Quote

You will need to kind of start over on LOTW, as your certificate will have expired. They expire every 3 years. You will still have credit for what you worked before, but won't be able to upload until you get that new certificate installed on your computer.  Just follow the instructions on the website to get going again. If you get stuck I can help you over the phone, or even do screen shares with you if you want. It is super easy to upload your adif file that HAMRS makes to LOTW once you get TQSL installed on your PC.  Not much to filling out the HAMRS app to get set up to activate either. I was able to do it all in a couple of minutes on my smartphone including spotting myself to get rolling. And they came. talk about "build it and they will come".  I had a pile up in NO time.  Kind of fun being on the receiving end of a pile up instead of always fighting to bust a pileup.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
You'll have fun. A buddy of mine will be out this evening. KI5OLV. He's always on 20 and 40 usually.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#45]

73   James K0ua
View Quote

Dang. Missed ya.  I think I heard you but conditions were tough. I did work 5 POTA/SOTA in a couple hours of hunting.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Do you need to upload logs to LOTW for them to count for POTA, or just send them directly to POTA?
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:28:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#47]
Just send them to POTA.

ETA, and you only send in logs as an activator.  Hunters don't send anything to POTA.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Just send them to POTA.

ETA, and you only send in logs as an activator.  Hunters don't send anything to POTA.
View Quote

So they rely entirely on activator logs to give hunters credit for parks they've worked?
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:40:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#49]

So they rely entirely on activator logs to give hunters credit for parks they've worked?
View Quote
Yep. A beautifully simple an effective method.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By otar:

Dang. Missed ya.  I think I heard you but conditions were tough. I did work 5 POTA/SOTA in a couple hours of hunting.
View Quote

All I had was the mobile whip on the truck.  next time I will have my "antenna extender"  which will give several dB of gain over the stock whip. Especially effective on 40 and 80, but makes a noticeable difference on 20 also.
Page / 55
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 16 of 55)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top