Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2020 10:06:15 PM EDT
We need some small O2 cannisters to add to our med kit. Suggestions??
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 11:31:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:22:48 PM EDT
[#2]
http://idahomotorpool.com/
Attachment Attached File

$15 each and he has a lot.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Just a note, you have to assume those are not just empty but out of date. The label is pre GHS standards, which means it hasn't been filled in a while, so unless it was brand new last time it got filled... You will have trouble getting them filled without a prescription and they will need re certified. It's not particularly expensive, but it's going to double the cost of that tank. Medical O2 (which is what those are for) is considered a drug by the FDA. Some places are less strict about it than others, and if you can get one to change the label and call it standard O2... I'm not saying it's a good idea or anything, but let's just say that no one filling those is going to go to the effort of adapting their non medical rack to fill a tank that has the medical style fittings. Many places, including where I work, ONLY have medical grade O2 and the difference is simply that we don't test/certify the standard or welding grade tanks. For example, we'll fill welding tanks on the exact same rack we fill big medical tanks for a hospital manifold. The difference is testing and paperwork not actual contents. I can't remember the last time we had an O2 tank fail cert, and we do some really tightly regulated exotic stuff.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#4]
What's small? Been looking at something like this, but they do sell full tanks separately...

https://www.aedsuperstore.com/life-o2-softpac.html
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:07:38 PM EDT
[#5]
As Remryw said, tanks aren't an issue, filling them might be.  And I'm sure the regulators might be an additional item.
I assume you have oxygen delivery equipment?

Galls used to sell FAKs with them, haven't looked in years.

You could just call your local DME (durable medical eqpt) company and ask.  People on home O2 get tanks from somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
People on home O2 get tanks from somewhere.
View Quote

The extreme majority of those tanks are leased.

You have a lot of options honestly. The easiest would be to get on any aircraft supply site and order bottles from there. Any FBO will be able to fill them with Aviators Grade oxygen. I could write a thesis on grades of oxygen but lets just go with for long term storage of bottled o2 that aviator grade is the way to go.

This would more than likely be the path of least resistance. The other would be smaller SCUBA tanks that can be oxygen cleaned and filled with straight o2 as well. SOME, not all, dive shops can fill straight o2 but will likely want to see some sort of certification for liability reasons. This will vary from shop to shop. You could always take a first aid course and be certified in giving oxygen. Hell the dive shop may even offer this class.

If you were closer to me I'd fill whatever you bring me. I have my own fill station in my garage.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The extreme majority of those tanks are leased.

You have a lot of options honestly. The easiest would be to get on any aircraft supply site and order bottles from there. Any FBO will be able to fill them with Aviators Grade oxygen. I could write a thesis on grades of oxygen but lets just go with for long term storage of bottled o2 that aviator grade is the way to go.

This would more than likely be the path of least resistance. The other would be smaller SCUBA tanks that can be oxygen cleaned and filled with straight o2 as well. SOME, not all, dive shops can fill straight o2 but will likely want to see some sort of certification for liability reasons. This will vary from shop to shop. You could always take a first aid course and be certified in giving oxygen. Hell the dive shop may even offer this class.

If you were closer to me I'd fill whatever you bring me. I have my own fill station in my garage.
View Quote

Yes there is a dive certification for giving o2.  At least PADI offers one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I cannot vouch for new practices, or other companies.  However, back about 20 years ago, a very good friend of mine was a salesman for medical gases. He worked for a major gases company, and sold medical gases to hospitals, pharmaceutical companies,etc.

The company sold different 'grades' of gases.  You could get plain old oxygen.  You could get medical grade oxygen.  The difference was in the labelled, certification and purity.  He'd always laugh at that concept, since the company only made one grade of gas....  They did not make a low level welding oxygen, and a higher purity medical oxygen.  They made ONE grade of oxygen, and it went in all bottles....  

The cheap shit had a guaranteed purity level.  The medical stuff had a higher guaranteed purity, lower guaranteed contaminants, etc.  Thing was, it was ALL the higher, medical grade gas.  Completely legal.  When you bought the cheap shit, you got really good gas and at a great price.  When you paid out the nose for medical gas, you got exactly what you paid for, really good gas.  The company wasn't going to try to make shit grade gases.   They made good stuff, stuck it into bottles, and sold it.  Cheaper to make one grade and repackage than to try to make two or three grades...

No idea if this still holds true, or holds true with all companies.  That was mid 90's.  Interesting to note the margins on the medical stuff....

Fro
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top