Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2020 3:23:06 PM EDT
I'm in the process of setting up an overnight kayak trip. We'll be covering about 25 miles of the Shenandoah river and staying over in the state park.

I really wanted to just find a spot along the river to camp, but it seems (at least where we'll be) that it's either private land or campgrounds. Guess I'll just reserve a paddle in campsite and go from there. Two of the guys don't have kayaks so we'll be stopping by a guide place to rent them kayaks...also, much easier to have them drop off / pick up than us sending one truck down the river. Isn't shaping up to be as "isolated" as I'd hope, but with families, kids, jobs, etc. it's still a time to get out, have some fun, and use all that gear. Last year, we hiked the 10 mile loop of Signal Knob and camped near the radio tower overlooking the town below...pretty cool. Anyway, in case anyone cares or has suggestions; I'm all ears. I'll post my gear list below as I think of it.

Gear list:
Sevylor Colorado 2 person fishing kayak
20L Odyssey dry bag
RTIC Soft Pack, 30can
5.11 72 hour bag

Updated List:
Kayak (paddles, fin, pump, repair patch kit, 550cord, air gauge, life vest, D-clips) Fishing pole?

72hr bag (2L platypus bladder, propane, burner, food, knife, pot/bowl/cup, tent, mattress, fire kit x2, med kit, whiskey, playing cards, solar charger)

Dry bag (clothes, (weather dependent), sleeping bag, keys, money)

Cooler (Water (drinking/cooking)) Might not even need a cooler. Just throw a 1 gallon jug in the boat.

25k mah solar charger

Upgraded my sleeping situation

Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like an awesome trip.  We do a lot of day trips during the summer- usually drag family and some friends along.

Is there much current on that section of river?  If not, 12+ miles a day for 2 guys who are novice enough they don't own kayaks may be enough work they don't have fun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Wife & I kayak 200 miles a season and 12 miles a day is nothing to sneeze at. Hope they're ready for that.

From front to back my boat always has:
10L dry bag with spare towel, change of clothes
I attached this to my backpack that has less water sensitive items in it (snacks, flashlight, pistol, spare mags, camelbak bladder, knife)
Phone, wallet, truck keys in middle dry storage
Beer and coozy
two fishing poles in holders
30qt cooler with beer, cheese, chicken salad or lunch meat & water

If overnighting, include my 50L dry bag backpack with fire materials, inflatable pillow, hatchet, hammock tent and more beer!

Oddly enough, my wife doesn't pack nearly as heavy as I do on our kayak trips. She's a beer and sunscreen gal.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sounds like an awesome trip.  We do a lot of day trips during the summer- usually drag family and some friends along.

Is there much current on that section of river?  If not, 12+ miles a day for 2 guys who are novice enough they don't own kayaks may be enough work they don't have fun.
View Quote
In late March it should be moving pretty well. Regardless, we'll break the day up, eat some snacks, take it one mile at a time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wife & I kayak 200 miles a season and 12 miles a day is nothing to sneeze at. Hope they're ready for that.

From front to back my boat always has:
10L dry bag with spare towel, change of clothes
I attached this to my backpack that has less water sensitive items in it (snacks, flashlight, pistol, spare mags, camelbak bladder, knife)
Phone, wallet, truck keys in middle dry storage
Beer and coozy
two fishing poles in holders
30qt cooler with beer, cheese, chicken salad or lunch meat & water

If overnighting, include my 50L dry bag backpack with fire materials, inflatable pillow, hatchet, hammock tent and more beer!

Oddly enough, my wife doesn't pack nearly as heavy as I do on our kayak trips. She's a beer and sunscreen gal.
View Quote
Neither does my wife. She also doesn't paddle or get in the water....
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you are on the right track.

I would just take a batter pack - turn your phone off and you will not have any problems.

Will recommend that you make a trip on the Suwannee River here in florida - beautiful place.

Red
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#6]
What's the longest trip you've taken in that kayak? I have a Sevylor kayak and it doesn't track worth a damn,  I consider it more of a toy. I can't imagine taking it on a 25 mile trip.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What's the longest trip you've taken in that kayak? I have a Sevylor kayak and it doesn't track worth a damn,  I consider it more of a toy. I can't imagine taking it on a 25 mile trip.
View Quote
Longest to date was 15 in a day.
I found shifting my seat position, weight distribution, and remembering the fin are all essential to good tracking. I went on black Friday for 6 miles and instantly knew I forgot to attach the fin
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#8]
You're going to want more dry bags.

A small one for electronics and other items you may want to access including snacks and a bigger one for a sleeping gear and spare clothes.

Other than that, have a blast
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You're going to want more dry bags.

A small one for electronics and other items you may want to access including snacks and a bigger one for a sleeping gear and spare clothes.

Other than that, have a blast
View Quote
I had a typo, my dry bag is 20 or 30L.
Tent is 5lbs.

I'll have to lay out all the gear and post a pic.

Also, my dry bag came with a cell phone holder... should be the only electronic I need to access on the water
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm a big fan of THESE bags for anything that requires keeping things dry.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm a big fan of THESE bags for anything that requires keeping things dry.
View Quote
Pretty close, I have this
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I forgot I originally made my post here and not GD, but I wanted to update this for a more technical/gear discussion.

We were supposed to do 28 miles over two days, but wound up doing 13 miles in one day and only 4 the second. At about the 2 mile mark of day 2 one of my buddies capsized on what should be considered a mistake. He tried to turn too late to avoid a partially submerged smooth rock and wound up broadsiding it. It was a slow roll, but there was nothing he could do to prevent going into the river in 40 degree weather.

It was agreed that we'd get to the next ramp and get out. We were looking at another 6 hours on the river and his attire wasn't the best.

I learned that my paddle is supposed to be a 250. For two reasons it never mattered: 1.) I only paddled in cold water occasionally 2.) I usually paddle slower. Having the wrong size paddle caused me to be soaked. Every stroke brought water down my legs and eventually to my wool socks. By the end of day 1 my boots, socks, outer layer were soaked. I just placed them by the fire and was good to go when they dried.

Pics from the adventure can be found here: kayak pics
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 12:06:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Glad to see the trip turned out well.  I'm planning to head back that way next week to do 3 days on the Doah before heading north for a day on the Cacapon and then 2 days through the Trough on the Potomac.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Glad to see the trip turned out well.  I'm planning to head back that way next week to do 3 days on the Doah before heading north for a day on the Cacapon and then 2 days through the Trough on the Potomac.
View Quote

What's the Trough on the Potomac?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top