Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2022 3:46:01 PM EDT
We are excited to have found this new (to us) Scout Kenai on FB marketplace.

Of course we picked a snowy weekend to bring it home.

It's minimalist compared to many campers but perfect for us. We like to boondock and it's an upgrade from the hard sided canopy we've been using the last few years.
I'm excited amd had to share.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have to ask.

What was the purpose of the Uhaul trailer?

Congrats on the new camper.

You look young and now is the time to enjoy it! I wish I would have gotten into it sooner and brought my kids up camping.

I like slide ins because they are neat minimalist campers.
I don't like them because if I have to have that much truck, I want to haul a camper big enough to be comfy in.
Of course, that is the old man in me.

The first time you rip a nasty fart in there and run her out in the cold will be epic
Enjoy
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice score.  Congrats.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Those are nice campers, did you buy just the shell or the built out variety, seems like they sell both?
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Take it out and enjoy it! I loved the overhead camper I had, though it wasn't a minimalist one. They give you a lot of camping options that you don't have with a big trailer.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:
I have to ask.

You look young and now is the time to enjoy it! I wish I would have gotten into it sooner and brought my kids up camping.

I don't like them because if I have to have that much truck, I want to haul a camper big enough to be comfy in.

The first time you rip a nasty fart in there and run her out in the cold will be epic
Enjoy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I have to ask.

Enjoy

I ripped one the first night. Had a thick stew for dinner the night before and then drove all day starting the next morning. It was pretty bad but there is a vent fan in there so...

The uhaul was for a 2x8 and plywood platform the previous owner made with 4 heavy coaster wheels. He moved it around his shop on the "skate" as we started calling it. I wasn't sure about the height so we decided to tow it home since didn't want it.

Originally Posted By n0zzle:
Nice score.  Congrats.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By SixpackinOk:
Take it out and enjoy it! I loved the overhead camper I had, though it wasn't a minimalist one. They give you a lot of camping options that you don't have with a big trailer.

That's why we decided on the slide in. We like to get in as far as we can with the truck and go from there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#6]
OP,,,You'll like the "skate".  We built a "train track" for ours and would use my tractor to roll it up under our shed. Very handy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:
Those are nice campers, did you buy just the shell or the built out variety, seems like they sell both?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:

Scout doesn't sell just the shell, I think Kimbo has more options that way. Ours came pretty well outfitted with most of the factory options besides the awning and rooftop tent. Ours has the Newport propane heater which they don't offer anymore.

Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
OP,,,You'll like the "skate".  We built a "train track" for ours and would use my tractor to roll it up under our shed. Very handy.

Ya, we thought it was a great idea when we first went down to look at the camper. We planned to build our own but he said we could take it if we wanted because he had no use for it with his current 5th wheel.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#8]
So, like my old guy comment, he outgrew the slide in with a 5er.
Old guys just can't do the cramped living as well.

I will ask a stupid question since it never has really hit me until now:
Because a slide in is not a towable, is there no seperate vehicle registration, tag, or taxes on the slide out?

I realize every state is different, but in SC, campers and trailers of all types over 3,500 lbs have property taxes due to the tag which is a requirement of registration which also requires having insurance.
(Yea, yea, it's the one weakness of living in SC and that's why a lot of people go thru the hoops to get their tag in FL or one of the other no tax states. But on the flip side, we have PSA!!)
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#9]
He didn't outgrow it so much as he developed a non-life threatening medical condition that required him to have a full bathroom.

Here in Washington we have to get it titled and licensed. Any "recreational lodging with a floor" that has a length or height over 5 feet is a camper. Another great way we can pay taxes to the libs here in WA.

The Scout Kenai is less than 1500 pounds when fully loaded so there isn't much weight there. Unfortunately Washington doesn't even mention the weight since it has a floor 😕
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Having a toilet is more than just handy when you have chrohns.

It's not a club you want to be in. I have the pain, scars, and med bills to go along with it.

Amazing how the .gov has a way to get its "fair" share out of you

Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry you have to deal with that. So far we don't need the camper but it will be nice next elk season when it's below freezing. A chilly toilet seat beats squatting in the woods at that temperature.

Going back to the weight, bringing it home on the back of an F350 I couldn't even tell it was there. Granted most of the trip was at 30mph because the roads were so bad. Watched a dually with a car hauler just lost traction and cease forward movement on a small hill and a few miles later there was an Oregon state patrol car in the ditch. We stopped in one town to take a break amd fuel up amd the whole town lost power while we were there. Not sure how long it was out, we had a couple warm sandwiches and some water so we figured we had a place to stay wherever we ended up.
Wouldn't have had that piece of mind with just the uninsulated canopy!
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like it has been a real adventure already.

Being from SC, I can’t comprehend snow like that. It makes me shudder in just pictures. It would be pretty to see, but I’d hate to deal with it all season long for my entire life. Respect to all that do!
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like it has been a real adventure already.

Being from SC, I can’t comprehend snow like that. It makes me shudder in just pictures. It would be pretty to see, but I’d hate to deal with it all season long for my entire life. Respect to all that do!
View Quote

That's what we were joking the whole trip back lol

This isn't a normal winter year for us. More snow than usual but it has been worse. Really the only worry about snow like that is other people. Some folks don't realize it takes extra long to get somewhere and think they don't need to leave extra early. They usually end up in the ditch before too long though.
I was stationed in Camp Lejeune years ago. I thought it was funny that for a few inches of snow the base and surrounding areas just shut down. Only lasted a few days but it was fun for those of us with a 4wd for those few days.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Having a toilet is more than just handy when you have chrohns.

It's not a club you want to be in. I have the pain, scars, and med bills to go along with it.

Amazing how the .gov has a way to get its "fair" share out of you

Thanks for the info
View Quote

Yea, diverticulitis is similar in the effects.  

I wouldn’t own a camper without a commode.

I do like your camper though.  

My F250 plow truck I bought with half a mind to acquire a slide in camper. I don’t seem to have the cash for that at the moment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top