Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2021 12:57:21 PM EDT
Anything I should know? Called em and they said it's in stock and it's gonna ship this week.

What would you like to see in a review? I will take pics and hash out the system a bit for you guys.

Reason for purchase: during the recent icenadourricane in texas we lost power. Me, being me, has a Genny and a fireplace I thought we could fight the cold.

The cold was kicking our butt until I got a kerosine heater from storage. Nothing was working. Then on day three I was down to a few cans of butane for my camping stove top setup.

We had food. Tons of food. But losing our cooking ability save for the cast iron in the fireplace was the last straw. I didn't want to run the fireplace to cook eggs and make macaroni for the kids.

Enter Britelyte. It cooks. It lights. It heats. It runs on kerosine, gas, diesel, biodiesel, etc. Etc.

I purchased the ultimate combo with the various attachments to allow cooking, heating, and of course light.

Primarily gonna operate with Kerosine but I can test it with diesel, cooking oil, etc.

Let me know your ideas.

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't run gas or Coleman fuel in one of these no matter what they say. The valve wheel controls the pricker wire for the generator and the foot valve in the fount. There is no real positive shut off valve on these as it relies on a rubber pad and spring on the foot valve to block the flow of fuel in the pick up tube. So if the foot valve fails, there is no way to completely shut off the lantern except to release pressure in the fount.
And to extinquish the lantern you must open the bleeder screw on the fuel cap to release pressure, and gas vapors are kinda flammable.

The check valve or pip in the pump tube also relies on a rubber pad and spring to allow air to go in and stop it from coming back out when under pressure. This pip is below the fuel line, so if the pip fails the pump tube will fill up with fuel. If your using gas, well its kinda flammable.

I would only use kero or fuels that have a flashpoint similar to kero, and keep an eye on it until you feel comfortable with its operation.
They are kind of quirky lanterns and in my experience, not one that I would turn my back on for any length of time.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just giving you a heads up on things to look out for, and to keep you safe.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Just want to add that these are bright as hell and the rapid pre-heater is just awesome to watch.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Very cool looking but I can buy a lot of stoves and lights/lanterns for that price
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:35:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I hate to say this, but I'd cancel your order.

I collect lanterns and stoves and enjoy playing with fire.

My reasons for returning your lantern are:

1. The Britelyte is a poor and dangerous lantern

2. A regular stove is vastly easier to use than a lantern/stove combo.

The Britelyte is a Petromax clone made in China. The Petromax is the German made Ferrari of lanterns. It is a precise machine with close tolerances. You must set the air gap (Google it) properly when playing with different fuels as advertised in the Britelyte literature.

My Chinese Petromax clone has never failed to turn into a fireball while running kerosene. The lantern gets hot, metal expands as expected when hot, the air fuel ratio is thrown off, and the lantern is a ball of fire after 20 minutes.

I would never, ever burn a Petromax indoors. Of the 30 something lanterns/stoves I've owned, the only one I had to hose down was my Chinese Petromax.

A 40 year old Coleman lantern and stove can be had for $20 each. They are easily and cheaply refurbished, can burn white gas or gasoline, and will outlive you. I'd strongly consider this over a Britelyte.

The Petromax IS brighter. The rapid heater is FUN to use, albeit finicky and prone to leakage. A boring $20 suitcase Coleman stove has 2-3 burners and can simmer food or boil. A boring Coleman lantern doesn't need a preheat and will still burn a retina at night. I'd trust either in my home (although on white gas only, gasoline stinks)
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Gasoline is pretty far down my list of fuels so that would be a teotwawki scenario!

302W is your experience recent with the newest models offered by Britelyte?

I test and review things as a hobby / small business, so I will be posting a good set of photos and a AAR.

I can always claim the 500CP as a business tax deduction so not too worried about losing my money. I would be worried about setting everything on fire though!

My plan is to use high flashpoint fuels and see how it runs. Main diet would be kerosine as that's a fuel I am going to standardize on.

As far as the three in one function, it's just a backup for backups. I have a butane stove, etc. I just wanted a last resort so to speak.

Thanks for your input. It shipped on Monday so there's no turning back now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't owned a Britelyt, but have owned a Petromax, Wentzel and Hipolito. And like 302w, I've owned close to 100 lanterns and stoves, mostly Coleman, but also many of the oddball stuff.

As mentioned by 302w, watch the air gap setting on the mixing tube.

Also, in my experience, the generator tips can become loose, and the ceramic burner can also become loose to the point of actually falling off causing a broken mantle and fireball. I think there is some type of vibration caused by the running lantern that over time causes things to come undone. I put a small dab of muffler mend paste on those parts threads and it kept them in place, but it will make removal of said parts a bit more difficult to down the road if they need replaced. The burner is ceramic so treat it with care as they can shatter if dropped.  Small price to pay in my opinion for heading off a potential problem.
When pumping it up with the onboard pump it will take quite a few pumps to get the gauge to move, like a 100 or so, so don't be alarmed if nothing happens when you start pumping.

Last tip, when you are done burning the lantern and release the pressure with the bleed screw, turn the valve to the 12 o-clock position and leave the bleed screw open if you plan on keeping fuel in the fount. Small changes in ambient temperature can actually pressurize the fount enough that fuel will get by the foot valve and climb the generator and eventually run down and puddle under the lantern. Yes, it has happened to me.
I just got in the habit of draining the fuel just to be on the safe side.

I look forward for your action report and wish someone told me all this shit before I had to learn the hard way.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#7]
If this is only for a fun project, then good luck! Glad to hear you aren't relying on this to keep you fed.

My Petromax clone is probably 15ish years old. I don't have the cooker but have the wide brim attachment.

I found a 90% kerosene 10% coleman fuel mix to work best. The rapid heater is a little hard to light with straight kero. You can probably substitute gasoline for the Coleman fuel with similar results.

The pump on Petromax style lanterns are garbage as mentioned. I bought a bike pump adapter.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Tried it out tonight.

It needed a boost past the red line on the pressure guage to vaporize the kerosine so I had to pump it past the red mark on the guage.

Pre burner lit for 60 seconds then switched to the mantle. Nice and bright.

Overall fit and finish is great. The brass is thick. Valves and components feel solid. It's also quite beautiful.

Full review coming:

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:47:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice.
Did you pump it up again after the preheat? The preheater sucks a lot of air out of the fount.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I pumped It during the preheat keeping the guage above the red line.

On that note, at a quarter full it took 160 pumps from the built in pump to get to operating pressure.

Gave me a blister. The bike pump adapter is going on soon.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I have never had any problems with mine.
I have an older model, the Rapid 500CP.
I'm another lantern junkie and I picked mine up at an estate sale several years ago, it looked like it had very little use.

I love lanterns, but I didn't consider any of them particularly useful during the recent snowpocolypse.
These lanterns (or Colemans for that matter) are not rated for indoor use.

For heat, I would rather trust propane buddy heaters or kerosene heaters.

For cooking, I would rather have a Coleman stove -Coleman fuel or propane.

I have a friend that got so cold that he used his Coleman lantern inside the house.
This was after his whole house generator crapped out on him.
I don't know that I would have done that myself.

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes true I feel as though the lantern is a last resort inside as well. I may buy a kerosine wick stove to cook with so I can have three "lights out" cooking methods.

I used a kerosine heater during the storm. It's the only thing that warmed the house up. The heat output was nuts.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#13]
We used the buddy heaters.
The kerosene was a backup to our backup.

Survival forum rule: 1 is none, 2 is 1 -

For lights we used LED's, didn't really get around to the oil lamps.
For cooking, Coleman 2-burner and being Texans, we have grills and smokers.

Generally speaking, I find propane more convenient than other fuels.
-lights quick, low odor.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Third lighting. Notes: the pressure for the preheated is best to start at 3 atmospheres and let the pre-heater diminish the pressure to around 2 atmospheres.

When it gets close to 2, the pre-heater turns off. So it's best to pump as it heats. This in turn shakes the whole lantern. Does it cause the kerosine to splash around and air bubbles to get into the pre-heater? Maybe. Sometimes it can just shut off.

Pump up and relight. The carburator is pretty thick and retains heat so I had luck getting the pre heater re lit and and not having it heat up for 60 seconds again.

Light output is great. More pics to be posted soon.

Above: dark workshop. Door closed. Cp500 burning.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Setup for cooking and heating.

The mantel was removed and replaced with the heating element and the wire mesh screen.

Time to boil 1 qt of water was 17 minutes. The lantern so far has been easy to light.

Heat output is great. Far hotter than a space heater but I can't quantify this much more than that. It burns hot and warms the hands wonderfully. Hot air streams off the top and, again, this feels much more powerful than any space heater.

I will be asking Brytlite if we can cook with the glass and standard mantle. This would be easy to convert back and forth. The setup to put the heater components together would require some dexterity and is not a source of emergency heat unless it was configured this way before you got cold.

I replaced the finger pump and replaced it with the preston valve adapter. Filling the lantern with air is easier with this method though the hand pump can shake the lantern around due to the hard attachment point.

I will try a soft corded pump to see how it operates without the hard interface.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#16]
9000 btu from what I've heard. That's with the standard mantle setup. If you do a full tank run and measure the oz consumed and the hours run, you can do the math to get the real number.

So I'm guessing that you have to trash the mantle every time you put the heater element on?

I'm glad you are enjoying it, they are kinda fun to run.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top