BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2018 9:12:36 PM EDT
Found this interesting. Opinions?

Lack of Ethics with Long Range Hunters – The Real Gunsmith
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I can realistically hit a 8in gong at 300yards with every shot.  I have never taken game outside of 100yards.  Just person preference.  No judgment from me though.  I’m not going home hungry if I let something walk.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree. I think shooting at a critter beyond 600 yards is foolish. I doubt I would attempt one past 500. Attempting to take one at 900 yards is just plain stupid. Just because you might be able to hit a silhouette at that range, in ideal conditions, doesn't mean you can hit the kill zone in adverse conditions on the first shot. The further away that animal gets, the higher the likelihood of wounding it. He also makes a good point about bullet performance. Will your bullet even expand at that range? If it does, then it will likely explode at short range - and under penetrate.

I'm comfortable out to about 400 yards. In ideal conditions, I might be encouraged to attempt a shot to 500 or so. I took an elk at about 350 last year.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree. I think shooting at a critter beyond 600 yards is foolish. I doubt I would attempt one past 500. Attempting to take one at 900 yards is just plain stupid. Just because you might be able to hit a silhouette at that range, in ideal conditions, doesn't mean you can hit the kill zone in adverse conditions on the first shot. The further away that animal gets, the higher the likelihood of wounding it. He also makes a good point about bullet performance. Will your bullet even expand at that range? If it does, then it will likely explode at short range - and under penetrate.

I'm comfortable out to about 400 yards. In ideal conditions, I might be encouraged to attempt a shot to 500 or so. I took an elk at about 350 last year.
View Quote
I personally wouldn't shoot this far but I think some people can consistently and ethically go to 600 yards.  Past that the bullet flight time is just to long.  A deer or elk that looks relaxed can move a good bit in .5 a second  I just think once you get past that its pushing the bounds of hunting and becoming hunting.  I read a post from someone on here that said animals won't even run at 800 yards as they don't think  your a threat its not until you get inside 600 that they start to feel threatened.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I personally wouldn't shoot this far but I think some people can consistently and ethically go to 600 yards.  Past that the bullet flight time is just to long.  A deer or elk that looks relaxed can move a good bit in .5 a second  I just think once you get past that its pushing the bounds of hunting and becoming hunting.  I read a post from someone on here that said animals won't even run at 800 yards as they don't think  your a threat its not until you get inside 600 that they start to feel threatened.
View Quote
I've seen antelope get spooked at beyond 1000 yards. Pretty common after people have been shooting at them for a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 12:56:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Conditions determine every shot. If I was able to prone out, calm wind and animal not moving I would feel confident for a very long ways. If I just hiked all day, ran up a ridge, shooting from a unstable position in shitty weather the range is going to be much closer.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Last year I took the longest shot on a game animal in my life.  500yds ranged with my Leica 1600B.  It was a tough shot and in hindsight one I should've passed on.  I did hit the Antelope but it wasn't a kill shot.  I blew his left leg off and grazed his chest.  He didn't run far and I was able to correct my elevation and center punch him through both shoulders to put him down for good.

I had shot this rifle out to 1200yds from a bench and out to 400yds from shooting sticks in the sitting position.  The shot that I had was kneeling from shooting sticks and was less than ideal.  I will be practicing less from the bench and more from field positions from now on.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Lack of Ethics with Long Range Hunters – The Real Gunsmith
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 7:56:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I have killed out to 300 and felt very comfortable there with my 270WSM. I'm pretty solid from the bench out to 500 with it on a calm day. I'm not not so happy with the 600 yd shooting I have done with it. Not that I get long shots often at all but I think in the field I'd shut it down at around 350
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Meh, sounds like an old guy that thinks he knows it all...while I agree most people shouldn't shoot past 200 yards, and quite a few have no business shooting at an animal at any distance, sometimes certain conditions can present themselves where a 5-600 yard or longer shot is the only shot you will get..We have one area we hunt in that is this way..the moose are extremely skittish, and getting with in 500 yards will not happen...We take these shots extremely serious, rifles built for it, in calibers with the accuracy and energy to perform at those distances and the practice and equipment to make those type of shots succeed..Sure I wish every game animal we hunt would just walk by the tent door in the am so I can shoot it at 10 yards from my cot, but that is pretty wishful thinking, even though I know a guy who did just that on a nice bull....real life says under the right conditions, with the right equipment, and the right training those shots are a safer bet then some hunters who's 100 yard target is  a 20 MOA "grouping".....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top