Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2020 8:52:44 AM EDT
All,
I'm looking for a new GHB as my old jansport 35l just isn't cutting it. With longer distances being covered (up to 100 miles from home, worst case scenario) I need a bigger bag.
Got a bunch of gift cards to Cabelas. I was looking at This pack. in either the 50 or 65 liter variety. Any thoughts or experiences welcome. Alternative options welcome as well. It's not going to hold everything but the kitchen sink.  Just needs the basics
ETA.  Apparently the link has aids. Pack is a Kelty Lakota Pro Here
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s a good pack.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 7:22:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Everyone has a different definition of what is basic. Give us a load out of what gear your trying to fit into a pack. If you're up into 50 60 liter size you have thru-hiker or expedition sized packs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Everyone has a different definition of what is basic. Give us a load out of what gear your trying to fit into a pack. If you're up into 50 60 liter size you have thru-hiker or expedition sized packs.
View Quote
I'm working on that now. I'm having to pick through what items I've acquired over the years and see what else I need to cover the basics of shelter first, water then food. I may have room left over.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Not having personally examined the linked pack, I have nothing to go on other than the pix, and the Mfr's reputation.

Pix look all right, but I've always been a little bit averse to open-topped pouches without obvious drain grommets/drains.

Other than that possibly user-added feature, no obvious gripes.

Kelty is a respected Mfr, but sort of "middle-of-the-road".  Not heavier "Tacticool" like some mfrs, and not "gossamer" light like others.

One gets what one pays for.

Every pack maker offers external pix.  Few offer pix of how the pack is made, and the all-important construction details.

What I would suggest to OP is to examine the pack before buying it.  What one will be looking-for is certain features, such as the edges of the fabric panels being "taped-over" with grosgrain fabric, so that the fabric panels don't fray over time.  There's more to it than that, but if you see the edges of the fabric panels NOT being encapsulated, and protected from fraying, then return it; you can do better.

More important is whether or not the suggested pack will fit the OP, and that is of the utmost importance, once the construction quality is assured.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#5]
When I worked at an outfitter the Dana Designs (Now Mystery Ranch) rep would take Jansport off our rack and jerk the strap right off of it.

I think there are better packs out there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Kelty packs are okay, what I would consider a good entry level pack, but not necessarily designed for long distances.  The Kelty Lakota Pro 50L seems like a decent pack for the price. Construction is okay, design is fine, but much of the question about fitment is dependent on the user.  They are much better than the surplus Alice packs, but most won’t know much until they actually load them up with weight and do a couple days for more than just a few miles.

I have some higher end packs and have shifted more towards lighter designs.  Regardless of your pack interests, get to a reputable outfitter and get fitted properly.  Add weight to the pack so you know how it sits, fits, feels, and understand your torso length, pack height, lumbar needs, and proper waist-belt positioning.  Most modern packs allow for that type of adjustment or pretty close to all of it and it’s more important to know what “right” feels like, than look at the price tag or features of a pack.

Another aspect many overlook is distinguishing between volume capacity and load capacity.  A lot of 50-60 liter packs recommend much lower weights for comfort than what you think you can stuff in the pack.  Conversely, many of the ultralight packs in the 30-40 liter range boast a lot of volume capacity but recommend 20-30 pounds for frame weight capacity…and that is significant if you’re hauling weight over longer distances.  Pack frame/suspension comfort is extremely important and it does take miles, weight, and time to experiment and find that balance.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kelty packs are okay, what I would consider a good entry level pack, but not necessarily designed for long distances.  The Kelty Lakota Pro 50L seems like a decent pack for the price. Construction is okay, design is fine, but much of the question about fitment is dependent on the user.  They are much better than the surplus Alice packs, but most won't know much until they actually load them up with weight and do a couple days for more than just a few miles.

I have some higher end packs and have shifted more towards lighter designs.  Regardless of your pack interests, get to a reputable outfitter and get fitted properly.  Add weight to the pack so you know how it sits, fits, feels, and understand your torso length, pack height, lumbar needs, and proper waist-belt positioning.  Most modern packs allow for that type of adjustment or pretty close to all of it and it's more important to know what "right" feels like, than look at the price tag or features of a pack.

Another aspect many overlook is distinguishing between volume capacity and load capacity.  A lot of 50-60 liter packs recommend much lower weights for comfort than what you think you can stuff in the pack.  Conversely, many of the ultralight packs in the 30-40 liter range boast a lot of volume capacity but recommend 20-30 pounds for frame weight capacityand that is significant if you're hauling weight over longer distances.  Pack frame/suspension comfort is extremely important and it does take miles, weight, and time to experiment and find that balance.

ROCK6
View Quote
I have come to trust ROCK6 evals of gear.  YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top