Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2021 11:06:19 PM EDT
I did a search but as we know the archives aren't up at the moment so forgive me if this has been hashed out before (I'm sure it has been).  I'd like to get a HF radio to listen to while I study for my license- is the CountryComm worth getting or something similar like the Tecsun PL-360 sold on Amazon?  Years ago I had a Grundig but it apparently got lost in one of my many moves.  I'm open to all suggestions, I just want something to listen to, be portable and not cost too much since I plan on getting something better when I get my license (money's very tight right now ).

The CountryComm radio.  I've bought stuff from the past and been happy with it so I know the company is generally gtg.  
https://countycomm.com/collections/radio/products/countycomm-gp-5-ssb-general-purpose-radio
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want to buy a portable shortwave radio, need to get one that has SSB like the Tecsun 660 or 880.

I'd really suggest going in a different direction though.

Get an SDR dongle that supports HF. Could be as cheap as an RTL-SDR that supports HF direct sampling https://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/
MSI-SDR supports HF but mine isn't very good at VHF and higher if that matters to you https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-SDR-10kHz-To-2GHz-Panadapter-SDR-Receiver-Compatible-Play-RSP1-TCXO-0-5ppm/113667909744

Or you'd probably get better results from an Airspy Discovery https://v3.airspy.us/product/airspy-hf-discovery/
or
an SDRPlay RSP1A https://www.sdrplay.com/rsp1a/
or SDRPlay RSPdx https://www.sdrplay.com/rspdx/

If you're really technically inclined and want to dive in headfirst.... a uBitx kit radio:
https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-v6/
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:58:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  I ordered the SDR dongle you recommended and I'll read up further on the other recommendations.  I still want something portable that doesn't need a laptop and that I can carry in my truck.  My Asus Zenbook that I use for travel is on its last leg and my main laptop is a MSI gaming laptop so not something I really like lugging around.  

I've been messing around with a Baofeng and I've done 911 dispatching when I was on light duty so I have some knowledge but I'm way behind where I'd like to be.  So many on-going projects....
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:34:50 AM EDT
[#3]
You won't go wrong with the GP-5 SSB from Countycomm.  I'm quite happy with mine; it compares favorably with my Sony ICF2010, in a much smaller package.

It does receive SSB, as well as AM & broadcast FM.  Actually, with proper outboard audio filtering, you could read Morse as well; I haven't tried receiving digital modes with it yet, though.  (that sounds like an interesting project...)

You'll want to become familiar with the operation, as the buttons have multiple uses (like most small full-featured electronics), but that's not difficult.

I have two main niggles...  
Sound fidelity from the small speaker could be better; the audio output quality to headphones is quite good, however.
With no "fence" around the power button, it's easy to inadvertently turn it on, resulting in dead batteries when you want to use the radio.  (Activating the button lock is necessary to prevent this, and easy to forget.)

I really like that they offer spare rod antennas at a very reasonable price, as well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:49:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks!  I ordered the SDR dongle you recommended and I'll read up further on the other recommendations.
View Quote

I need an affiliate program
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:02:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks!  I ordered the SDR dongle you recommended and I'll read up further on the other recommendations.  I still want something portable that doesn't need a laptop and that I can carry in my truck.  My Asus Zenbook that I use for travel is on its last leg and my main laptop is a MSI gaming laptop so not something I really like lugging around.  

I've been messing around with a Baofeng and I've done 911 dispatching when I was on light duty so I have some knowledge but I'm way behind where I'd like to be.  So many on-going projects....
View Quote

Do you have an android phone or tablet?  You can use an otg adaptor and run the rtl sdr dongle directly on an android device with an app called SDR touch.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:10:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree with the SDR route. Being able to "see" what happening on the bands really makes a difference. I love being able to see if something is noise or if it's something like radar. I think it also helps to find weak signals and other things.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:16:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Do you have an android phone or tablet?  You can use an otg adaptor and run the rtl sdr dongle directly on an android device with an app called SDR touch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a Samsung smart phone but I'm honestly thinking about going back to a dumb phone; multiple reasons for that including that I don't carry the thing with me much of the time anyways.  My tablet died a couple of months ago and I haven't bothered to replace it since I have the phone.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:18:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have a Samsung smart phone but I'm honestly thinking about going back to a dumb phone; multiple reasons for that including that I don't carry the thing with me much of the time anyways.  My tablet died a couple of months ago and I haven't bothered to replace it since I have the phone.
View Quote

Perfect, save the Samsung phone and use it as your dedicated radio receiver  
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:54:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I would look for an online remote  HF receiver site. The portables won’t receive much except the strongest stations. Without a decent antenna it’s hard to get reliable reception on the small portables.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I need an affiliate program
View Quote

No kidding, I'm sure I've been responsible for about $15K in radio gear sales in the last 10 days.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Icom should be providing us discounts based on the number of 7300s sold.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top