Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2018 3:31:44 PM EDT
I just got an 8.5 in 300 blackout pistol and I also picked up some of the hornady black ammo through AIMs Labor Day sale. I figured it would be good for home defense and breaking in the new pistol, but has anyone tried them on hogs?
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#1]
This does not seem like something you would want to use on hogs.

"The V-MAX line of ammunition from Hornady was created for varmint control, as the bullet has a thin jacket and was designed to fragment on impact with a target, even at low velocities."
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This does not seem like something you would want to use on hogs.

"The V-MAX line of ammunition from Hornady was created for varmint control, as the bullet has a thin jacket and was designed to fragment on impact with a target, even at low velocities."
View Quote
22 vmax out of a hornet will stomp a hog.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just got an 8.5 in 300 blackout pistol and I also picked up some of the hornady black ammo through AIMs Labor Day sale. I figured it would be good for home defense and breaking in the new pistol, but has anyone tried them on hogs?
View Quote
FPNI. It's very far from the ideal hunting round.  And that's before any discussion of eating the meat.  I say if you're eating the meat, it's completely unacceptable.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#4]
That’s what I figured but I got 6 boxes so figured why not check into it.

What rounds are you guys using? I see the Barnes 110 gr seem to be king but wasn’t sure what else you may be getting good results out of your 300 pistols.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]
It's what I keep in my 300 Blackout for self-defense, I think it would be perfect for tired, and any other varmint on two or four legs. Maybe even Small Deer. But anything bigger I would do something a little heavier, Maybe 150 gr?
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That’s what I figured but I got 6 boxes so figured why not check into it.

What rounds are you guys using? I see the Barnes 110 gr seem to be king but wasn’t sure what else you may be getting good results out of your 300 pistols.
View Quote
In the blk I like the 125gr SST.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good bullet that SST. OP, if it shoots accurately for your barrel, I'd look at that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good bucket that SST. OP, if it shoots accurately for your barrel, I'd look at that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good bucket that SST. OP, if it shoots accurately for your barrel, I'd look at that.
Thanks gents. I’ll run out to the fun store and check out some.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I've used 110gr TAC-TX, 125gr Ballistic Tips, and 208gr AMAX. The only one of those I don't recommend for hunting is the 208gr AMAX.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I shot a bunch of hogs with 110 vmax out of my 6.8 spc.

Dropped all but one on the spot.

It is my standard hunting load for deer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've used 110gr TAC-TX, 125gr Ballistic Tips, and 208gr AMAX. The only one of those I don't recommend for hunting is the 208gr AMAX.
View Quote
Same. I've retired the 208 AMAX. Moved to 110 TacTX.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Out of the 300BO on pigs, I initially reloaded the 125 Nosler green Ballistic Tip.  After shooting a few pigs with it, I loaded some of the Hornady 125 SSTs.  I find them to hold together a hell of a lot better than the Nosler BTs.

Out of a 8.5" barrel, the 125 SST over 18.8 grains of W296 with an OAL of 2.100" lit by a CCI 450 runs 2035 fps for out of my Liberty Leonidas upper.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:26:14 PM EDT
[#13]
The Vmax line was definitely intended for varmints, but the 110gr .308cal Vmax does not move all that fast out of the 300 blackout (compared say to a .308 Win), and from what I've heard (not personal experience) when the 110gr Vmax is pushed at the slower 300 Blackout velocities it performs more like a traditional softpoint than a varmint bullet.

I no longer hunt a lot, so I don't mind the cost of the 110gr Barnes bullets on the occasions when I do (and those are superb hunting bullets)....but if I did still hunt hogs a lot, I think I would definitely consider trying out the 110gr Vmaxes if I wanted to save money.  If you decide to, please post back here with your results!
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I've shot a bunch of hogs with 110 VMAX. It's pretty nasty if they're under 100lbs or so. Above that I've pumped rounds into some of them and they never went down.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#15]
The .300 BO reminds me of my Great Granpappy's .32 WSL fun as hell to shoot but anemic as hell too. I don't think the 110gr Vmax has enough SD (sectional Density) to penetrate like I would like. I'd feel more comfortable with something in the 120 gr weight or heavier and slower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top