Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2021 2:32:32 PM EDT
https://evorazon.com/product/meditac-premium-ifak-kit-feat-trauma-pak-cat-tourniquet-hyfin-vent-chest-seal-israeli-bandage/

What would you add to this kit.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Ditch the SAM Splint.

I would add a 2nd TQ, more would packing material and duct tape.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Get an Olaes Modular Bandage or two. Ditch the splint, Israeli, and gauze if you’re pressed for space.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#3]
That's stupid expensive for what it is.  My IFAK is just a tourniquet...I have a separate bag with gauze, coban, gloves, shears, headlamp, sharpie, splint and eyewash.  Training>Gear....ER doc FWIW.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Made hot

Ditch the splint.  Double up on tourniquet and gauze.  Add tape.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:08:36 AM EDT
[#5]
What do you peeps have against splints?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Nothing, it's often needed, it's just that you can usually improvise a splint with something else in your kit or environment and utilize the space in your bag for something else that's harder to improvise.  If you've got the room, I think the SAM splint is a great piece of gear as it can be molded for all sorts of uses.  I keep one in my truck, my trauma bags each have two of them (unrolled, folded in half to make them flat and tucked in the back), my IFAK doesn't have one.

Freakin' autocorrect
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:41:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nothing, it's often needed, it's just that you can usually improvise a splint with something else in your kit or environment and utilize the space in your bag for something else that's harder to improvise.  If you've got the room, I think the SAM splint is a great piece of gear as it can be molded for all sorts of uses.  I keep one in my truck, my trauma bags each have two of them (unrolled, folded in half to make them flat and tucked in the back), my IFAK doesn't have one.

Freakin' autocorrect
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Freakin' autocorrect

This guy knows what's up.

IFAKs should be streamlined and set up for the things you need right now. Aid bags and such have all the extra goodies and nice to haves. If you look at YouTube you'll find "experts" pontificating on their IFAK and there's Tylenol and Neosporin in it.

Chest seals, something to pack with, and a pressure bandage. A roll of duct tape on a cut off Bic pen or old credit card can be handy. TQs don't go in my IFAK, they're carried externally.

If you have nothing a HyFin Compact twin pack and an OLAES is a good start.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
IFAKs should be streamlined and set up for the things you need right now. Aid bags and such have all the extra goodies and nice to haves. If you look at YouTube you'll find "experts" pontificating on their IFAK and there's Tylenol and Neosporin in it.
View Quote
Or perhaps just a more practical contents list. I've used the Tylenol, neosporin, and bandaids out of my kit way more than a tourniquet or israeli.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Or perhaps just a more practical contents list. I've used the Tylenol, neosporin, and bandaids out of my kit way more than a tourniquet or israeli.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Booboos are common. Bandaids still don't belong in an IFAK.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:29:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Perhaps not in yours, but I'll keep them in mine. I'm curious why you are so opposed to keeping booboo shit in your first aid kit? Are you carrying two separate pouches?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Perhaps not in yours, but I'll keep them in mine. I'm curious why you are so opposed to keeping booboo shit in your first aid kit? Are you carrying two separate pouches?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IFAKs are for immediate care of serious trauma and go on armor or your belt. My aid bag has everything else in it from acetaminophen to Zyrtec, if I need a bandaid I can retrieve it from the bag and no one will die.

They do make some pretty cool little admin type pouches if you want booboo stuff handy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don’t want to sort through anything to find the things I need when I or my child is bleeding out.  Also really needs to be one hand operational in my opinion. No I don’t think I’m going to put a TQ on myself after I loose an arm but more than once I’ve had my hands holding pressure on something while someone else works, if I have to hold pressure and work I need to be able to work with one hand.

And war story, the first time I did something like that it was a triple amputee.  There were two of us working so I held a leg and an arm while my buddy held the other leg, applied TQ, and worked his way around to me. It’s quite scary how light someone is when they’re missing three limbs, carried that guy myself about 100m to a vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#13]
If this is actually going to function as a plate-carrier-mounted IFAK, then I'd get a pouch with some sort of tear-away or pull-away style design. Something smaller, and without the splint. While splints are great, the contents of an IFAK usually focus on immediate life threatening concerns, namely blood loss and breathing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Your IFAK is for immediate life threatening blood loss and breathing obstruction.

Boo boo kit and IFAK should be separate.

If life threatening blood loss and/or breathing obstruction isn't occuring, then you shouldn't be finger fucking around in your gear meant for that purpose. Your bandaids, neosporin, and tylenol can go in your pack.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:22:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anything a SAM splint will “help with” is more than likely something that won’t “keep you out of the fight.

Improvise a splint or use a shift load of tape.  

True story....spent the last two days of Ranger school with half a roll of 100mph tape on my right boot. Broke my ankle in the swamp and with 48hrs to go I’d have been a recycle if I got medical attention and had it cast up. Nope, taped it....Charlie Mike’d......and I’m not ashamed to say I cried most of the time. Hurt so bad.  

IFAK are for keeping you in the fight until you can get proper medical attention.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:24:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

People need to understand the difference between an IFAK and a “med kit”.  

IFAK.....stop blood loss from major trauma. Keep airway open.

“Med kit”......for lack of better explanation, an “ouchie kit”

EDIT: others cleared it up before I did.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#17]
TQ
Chest seal twin pack
Pneumothorax needle
2 x packing gauze
1 x combat gauze
Shears
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
TQ
Chest seal twin pack
Pneumothorax needle
2 x packing gauze
1 x combat gauze
Shears
View Quote

Just a suggestion, throw a pair of alcohol or betadine wipes in there; they don't really take up any space and it only take a second to wipe the skin before you stick a needle in.  

Top Top