Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2021 10:55:15 PM EDT
Like many homesteaders, I have some livestock (24 layer hens, 3 roosters) and a garden (just over 1K sq ft, at the moment).

I'm handling all that just fine (well, I need to learn a bit more about amending my soil, granted!), but what I'm most-frustrated about right now is what used to be my grass/lawns.

My property is mostly wooded and I've always had to deal with weeds (as best I could), but it's gotten out of control with one nasty-assed, spreading/sprawling bit of nastiness which loves sun and has quickly overtaken what used to be healthy shade grass.

Hell . . . it's taking over the woods too!

I can't remember the name of the stuff (if I ever knew it for sure), but it's early, spring-risers are already going to seed and the seeds literally explode off the plant at much more than the slightest disruption/movement of the plant. It has small petals and gets tiny little flowers and shoots which go upward, holding dozens of tiny, elongated seeds each. The plant itself spreads out (and even climbs or rolls over whatever it contacts) and shades out/takes over everything at an alarming rate.

It dies off early too and, when raked, leaves bare spots everywhere - vulnerable to erosion and who-knows-what-else. Mowing rips it more than cuts it and, well . . . It just sucks!

Here's my question: the GF and I have spent a fortune in time and money adding perennial wildflower and herbal beds all around the "grassy" areas, so using a majorly toxic weed killer is out of the question.

What options are available to us to rid us of this invasive nuisance and return our home to its once-lovely appearance?

I really am (practically) desperate for some help here - and appreciate any suggestions (or questions), very much.

Thanks!

ETA: The seeds germinate just as quickly as the freakin' weed itself spreads! Ugh!
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:57:09 AM EDT
[#1]
You don't remember the name of the weed, and you didn't post any pics.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:14:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Weeds are a symptom and indicators of soil problems. Also, some weeds are useful (we have a dozen jars of dandelion jelly atm). Find out what weed you have and look up what conditions it grows best in. Dandelions for example grow in soil with low calcium and high potassium.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:23:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't remember the name of the weed, and you didn't post any pics.
View Quote

This^^^

No offense OP but you've told us very little that we can use to help you.

Also, to rule out herbicides because you also have native landscape plants is a bit ignorant. Talk to any expert in management of native plants and habitat and they will tell you that herbicides are the single most valuable tool available to us and can be very effective when the right herbicide is used at the right time.

Example: I can control fescue (a cool season grass) in native warm season grasses, by applying a broad spectrum, broad leaf contact herbicide (Roundup) at a time when the warm season grass is dormant but the fescue is actively growing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I just went out and took a pic, but I keep getting a file size error message when I try to upload.

ETA: Chipweed maybe? Sure looks like it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Weeds are a symptom and indicators of soil problems. Also, some weeds are useful (we have a dozen jars of dandelion jelly atm). Find out what weed you have and look up what conditions it grows best in. Dandelions for example grow in soil with low calcium and high potassium.
View Quote

x2
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just went out and took a pic, but I keep getting a file size error message when I try to upload.

ETA: Chipweed maybe? Sure looks like it.
View Quote

Chickweed?
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Chickweed?
View Quote

Yes. Sorry. I was in a hurry to get out the door!  LOL
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#8]
https://learn.eartheasy.com/articles/how-to-read-the-weeds-for-a-healthier-lawn
Chickweed
A tasty addition to spring , thrives in fertile, well-watered conditions.  Chickweed overgrowth may be a sign that your lawn is poorly drained, over-watered, or your soil is overly dense and compacted.  Aeration helps.  Always wait between waterings until your lawn shows visible signs of drought stress, and then water deeply.

A tasty addition to spring salads, chickweed is a cool-season annual plant originally native to Europe. Grown for feeding to poultry and humans, chickweed spreads horizontally on leafy stems that usually join at a central root that's easy to hand pull. It thrives in fertile, often disturbed, well-watered conditions. A chickweed overgrowth may be a sign that your lawn is poorly drained, over-watered, or that your soil is overly dense and compacted. Aeration helps discourage this plant, as does manual removal, but any treatment for chickweed should take place before the plant has a chance to set seed and start its cycle anew. Always wait between waterings until your lawn shows visible signs of drought stress, and then water deeply. If you are battling a handful of chickweed plants, remember that variety is healthy and chickweed has been known to decrease insect damage to other plants. It's also high in nitrogen, iron, and an excellent garnish.
View Quote

https://www.lawnstarter.com/blog/lawn-care-2/read-your-weeds-identifying-weeds-lawn-health/

Common Chickweed
The winter annual weed germinates in the fall and spreads its seeds in the spring.

What chickweed is telling you: Chickweed in your turfgrass indicates that you have moist or poorly-drained soil. Dillion suggests cutting back on irrigation and adding organic matter to make the soil more porous, improving drainage. Aerating the lawn also helps reduce compaction and allows air, water and fertilizer to penetrate the soil, which helps reduce the number of weeds. If you have chickweed or other weeds that are signs of soggy soil, you may also consider removing the grass and planting a rain garden, says Dillon. The common chickweed is very similar in appearance to its cousin, the mouse-ear chickweed.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe hairy bittercress, too?  I have a lot of that and it looks pretty haggard at the moment; it's dying off.  It has seed pods that explode.  I don't mind it as much now that I have chickens.  It's growing in late winter and they like it.

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#11]
One mans weed is another mans recreation
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chickweed?

Tried 2 spot applications of 2-4-D about 30 days apart per the label?
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:24:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:47:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Chickweed sucks big time, but not even close to f'ing horsetails!

Any cure for those things I am open to..
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:07:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Maybe hairy bittercress, too?  I have a lot of that and it looks pretty haggard at the moment; it's dying off.  It has seed pods that explode.  I don't mind it as much now that I have chickens.  It's growing in late winter and they like it.

View Quote

Yep. That's it.

Pic of offender.

It's taking over everywhere.

*Sorry for the late return, guys. Life is getting in the way.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yep. That's it.

Pic of offender.

It's taking over everywhere.

*Sorry for the late return, guys. Life is getting in the way.
View Quote

I get that stuff all over in grassy areas
So far it hasn’t been a problem in the garden
Been trying to mow before it gets to making seeds

I have other weeds that are a problem in the garden.   The worst is something that has running roots. Like side shoot is on horseradish roots.  No big central root.   Impossible to pull the entire root, as it will break off.   And roto-tilling just makes more.  
I tried clear plastic to see if it would burn up the plants.  No effect.  Maybe not hot enough yet as it was only down for a few weeks in early April.  
Tried burning plants last year with a big propane torch.   Just consumed lots of propane.  Came right back.  Will try to get a photo of some in a few days.

Attachment Attached File

They get these roots that run out for quite a distance.  And impossible to get all the root
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I Google Reverse Image searched your photo and came up with "hairy bittercress."

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/weeds/hairy-bittercress-control.htm

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Bittercress is exhausting trying to keep up with.  

You have to pull it before it goes to seed. It only grows in patchy parts in my grass and I can get that ok. But in my flower beds it's prolific, and if I slack on it it's all over. Between bittercress, morning glory, and wild onion, I always have something to weed and I don't think I'm winning the battle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top