Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2024 9:50:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urbanredneck]

Today I learned.... Anyone play with this? Send text messages through a mesh network at cell frequencies. The devices use the small project boards similar to the raspberry pi and cam be set up for longer ranges. I guess the devices will act as repeaters if they pick up weak signals..

Looks like a possible back country communications device. If I got the basics right, you could hoist the device that operates thru blue tooth to your phone. Getting height will reach out further.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#1]
There are some local folk that are starting to do some testing with these.
Lots of Youtube vids out there. These are becoming pretty popular.
Mainly line of sight.
#120 LoRa / LoRaWAN Range World Record Attempt. Will I succeed?

This guy does a lot with Meshtastic.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:28:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 4:03:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Been watching S2 Underground OP?

He's a huge fan and did a recent video on this
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 4:33:24 AM EDT
[#4]
You have the basic concept right, plus they also share GPS coords for the units for tracking to other users/nodes.

They're neat for what they are, but their throughput is very small.  So you can send simple text messages and coords, but not much else.  You can't do voice or large data transfer over them.  But they can be setup to sip power so they operate on battery for a while, and the mesh nature means you can expand range across the network by adding more well spaced nodes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D_Man:
You have the basic concept right, plus they also share GPS coords for the units for tracking to other users/nodes.

They're neat for what they are, but their throughput is very small.  So you can send simple text messages and coords, but not much else.  You can't do voice or large data transfer over them.  But they can be setup to sip power so they operate on battery for a while, and the mesh nature means you can expand range across the network by adding more well spaced nodes.
View Quote

Theoretically. They are kind of cheap. You could buy 3 or 4 if you were walking into an area then drop them on peaks on you way in like a little repeater network.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bric2000:
There are some local folk that are starting to do some testing with these.
Lots of Youtube vids out there. These are becoming pretty popular.
Mainly line of sight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adhWIo-7gr4
This guy does a lot with Meshtastic.
View Quote

A lot of the YouTube videos are probably because they have a 5% $$$ referral link included with the videos.  

But I’ve bought some.  No one shows on the mesh locally and I couldn’t make them reach from my house to my office with 4 devices at different points that appeared to be LOS.  

I’ve ordered two of the solar rak devices and will try again.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JBFJ40:

A lot of the YouTube videos are probably because they have a 5% $$$ referral link included with the videos.  

But I’ve bought some.  No one shows on the mesh locally and I couldn’t make them reach from my house to my office with 4 devices at different points that appeared to be LOS.  

I’ve ordered two of the solar rak devices and will try again.  
View Quote

What frequencies do your devices operate on? I thought they could operate at 3 difference frequencies but I was looking at them lastnight and saw that they seem to either work around the 900mhz range or the 400mhz range. So I would think if you have a 900 mhz device then it is not going to pick-up an incoming 400 mhz signal.

I would think that the 400mhz units work better. Can't carry as much data as a 900 mhz signal but with the amount of data that these units send, I doubt that is an issue. The 400 will be less effected by trees and terrain...

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#8]
@JBFJ40

see above.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 4:07:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2ANut] [#9]
I have a small pile of them. The US ones need to run on 915 MHz due to regulations. Also all range reports online are wildly optimistic. In a suburban environment without being able to put any antennas or relays on roofs, I cannot get more than 1/2-mile range even with antenna upgrades. They are not popular so I don't detect any nodes other than my own.

Still seems pretty useful for group camping/hiking trips out where there is no cell signal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 2ANut:
The US ones need to run on 915 MHz due to regulations.
View Quote
This, the 900 MHz ISM band is license free and the only version of these you can use freely in the US.  

Unfortunately, since that ISM band is open use, there is a lot of random stuff that uses that same bandwidth all around, like smart power meters, industrial wireless radio control systems, tons of sensors, etc. which makes it a very cluttered band in populated areas and that can cause interference with these devices limiting their reliability and range.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 4:46:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:
@JBFJ40

see above.
View Quote

I have the 900mhz like the other posters have mentioned.   The t-beams I have are apparently fragile (the display screens have failed)  and are not easily waterproofed.    But the technology is cool.  

I look forward to trying out the new ones with an integrated solar panel with the case.  

If I can make a decent link somewhere then I’ll like to see about bigger and better antennas and solar.  

Dropping one that would last a few years on top of a Walmart or other tall, prominent building would probably never be noticed.  But I don’t have a drone.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Watch the S2 video that covers ATAK with meshtastic. Ithatblooks useful for hunting because I think you can use maps with atak...

Unfortunately I don't think I have anyone that would be interested in messing with this.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:35:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raimius] [#13]
Mesh networks can be very useful, if you can place repeater nodes or have enough users that they naturally relay messages.  

The LoRa boards tend to be cheap and have low power requirements, so they work well for projects/experiments.  Throw in a 5v solar panel and battery, and you can make a cheap little repeater node.

Legally placing nodes seems to be the challenge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top