Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2020 12:45:33 AM EDT
Have a trip planned this summer on OBX.  I’m an experienced freshwater fisherman and know next to nothing about salt/sound.  Staying at a place with a dock on Pamlico sound.  Looking for advice on 2 rigs, and possibly what kind of bait/lures I should be looking at.  Realistically I’m fishing for whatever will bite, but bonus points if it’s something edible.

What am I looking at for a surf rig?  I have a $75 Walmart 7’6 surf rod from a beach trip 5 years ago that’s currently spooled with 40# braid.  Will that work with something like a 15-20# fluoride leader?  Do I need a steel leader?  Should I respool with mono?  This rig will probably do double duty as a second rig for live bait or something on the sound.

And as far as a sound side rod, Will one of my standard bass rigs work?  Something like medium action 6’6 spinning rod with 14 or 20lb fireline?  Should i respool with something different?

I figure I’ll ask a local shop for tips/rig when fishing the surf, but any tips or bait advice on the sound?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 1:56:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pagoda] [#1]
Originally Posted By Justin3:
Have a trip planned this summer on OBX.  I'm an experienced freshwater fisherman and know next to nothing about salt/sound.  Staying at a place with a dock on Pamlico sound.  Looking for advice on 2 rigs, and possibly what kind of bait/lures I should be looking at.  Realistically I'm fishing for whatever will bite, but bonus points if it's something edible.

What am I looking at for a surf rig?  I have a $75 Walmart 7'6 surf rod from a beach trip 5 years ago that's currently spooled with 40# braid.  Will that work with something like a 15-20# fluoride leader?  Do I need a steel leader?  Should I respool with mono?  This rig will probably do double duty as a second rig for live bait or something on the sound.

And as far as a sound side rod, Will one of my standard bass rigs work?  Something like medium action 6'6 spinning rod with 14 or 20lb fireline?  Should i respool with something different?

I figure I'll ask a local shop for tips/rig when fishing the surf, but any tips or bait advice on the sound?  Thanks!
View Quote

@Justin3

Just got back from Duck.  Bob's Bait and Tackle in Duck recommended this:
Surf
  Wire fish finder rig
  2oz pyramid weight snapped directly to bottom
Top Hook:
  Eagle Claw 231x-2   Sz 2 double snell extra strong with leader
  Cut Mullet bait
Bottom Hook:
   Lake & Stream 13010-002
  Sz 2 smelled baitholder with leader
  Bloodworm bait

Sound

Mono fish finder rigs1 oz bank seeker weight

Size 2 snelled hook direct no leader
  Shrimp bait

We only fished the sound one night, and only caught 1 largemouth.  We caught a fuck ton of Skates in the surf.  Smaller numbers of assorted mullet and some other fish I haven't been able to identify.

Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 6/21/2020 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pagoda:

@Justin3

Just got back from Duck.  Bob's Bait and Tackle in Duck recommended this:
Surf
  Wire fish finder rig
  2oz pyramid weight snapped directly to bottom
Top Hook:
  Eagle Claw 231x-2   Sz 2 double snell extra strong with leader
  Cut Mullet bait
Bottom Hook:
   Lake & Stream 13010-002
  Sz 2 smelled baitholder with leader
  Bloodworm bait

Sound

Mono fish finder rigs1 oz bank seeker weight

Size 2 snelled hook direct no leader
  Shrimp bait

We only fished the sound one night, and only caught 1 largemouth.  We caught a fuck ton of Skates in the surf.  Smaller numbers of assorted mullet and some other fish I haven't been able to identify.

Hope that helps.

View Quote

Thanks.  I’m further south in Avon, so I’m hoping to have better luck in the sound with salt/brackish species.  Will fish the surf two or three times.  

I ended up buying a 9’ penn battle combo and spooling it with 40# test that I’ll use to get out over the sand bars and try to stay away from the skates.  The last time I went the first skate I caught was awesome.  By the 6th or so they got annoying.

Sounds like my best bet is gonna be to just swing in the local shop for the small tackle needs and see what size weight will work down there.  I’ll bring a few lures for the sound but buy everything else there.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Justin3:

Thanks.  I'm further south in Avon, so I'm hoping to have better luck in the sound with salt/brackish species.  Will fish the surf two or three times.  

I ended up buying a 9' penn battle combo and spooling it with 40# test that I'll use to get out over the sand bars and try to stay away from the skates.  The last time I went the first skate I caught was awesome.  By the 6th or so they got annoying.

Sounds like my best bet is gonna be to just swing in the local shop for the small tackle needs and see what size weight will work down there.  I'll bring a few lures for the sound but buy everything else there.
View Quote
You'll probably want to stay inside the sand bars.  The dude at Bob's said if you're casting farther than the wall of the store (about 25 feet), you're casting too far.  Stay inside the sand bars.
Jives with this video I watched before heading down:
Surf Fishing Tips - Reading The Beach - The View From The Beach

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top