Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2020 11:05:17 AM EDT
So I've tried to research this and found nothing. A major prep for this year is getting healthy and in shape, now that being said, eating your average food is not something I will be doing to meet the other goal. So thoughts on storing food that won't be eaten/rotated due to eating a completely different daily diet? Not really looking to go freeze dried due to cost, but things that can be picked up about any grocery store.  (if SHTF, obviously food is food and I won't care what I eat as long as I get to) Also there is only 2 of us to prep for.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Hard to go wrong with rice and beans in mylar bags/buckets.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hard to go wrong with rice and beans in mylar bags/buckets.
View Quote
This but learn how to cook beans properly undercooked beans are one of the leading causes of food poisoning. Not a big deal in normal times but not something you want if SHTF.
Also check if anyone is prediabetic because a straight high carb diet is hell on the pancreas.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
eating your average food is not something I will be doing to meet the other goal.
View Quote
why, that's what you should be eating
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I always thought protein powders would be good for storage. If you sealed them up well you have a calorie dense, nutrient packed thing that has vitamins and shit already in there. No idea how it stores long term but there's got to be a way to make it work.

Otherwise if you get canned fruit/veggies/meats that you would eat normally and cycle them out every year it seems it would make sense. some 25 year set-and-forget rice and beans in a tub seem like a good idea (and are cheap) but if you don't eat it regularly it seems ill advised.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Not sure why you wouldn't want to be eatting foods you're used to. A crisis is not the time to be throwing dietary changes on yourself in addition to all of the other stressors you'll be experiencing
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Start canning. Buy fresh stuff in season and store enough for a year. Prep healthy meals so you can grab it and go. Here is my lunch today. Cheaper and healthier than many other options and you’ll notice this was from the back area on the shelf

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not sure why you wouldn't want to be eatting foods you're used to. A crisis is not the time to be throwing dietary changes on yourself in addition to all of the other stressors you'll be experiencing
View Quote
This, 100%. You do not want your gut to be adjusting while you're fending for your life.

I stockpile, and regularly eat, lots of rice, canned chili, peanut butter and canned salmon. Will gradually expand once I think I have a comfortable amount of these socked away, and anything I decide I don't care for as part of my regular diet gets removed from the stockpile.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I ripped open every bucket I had. Removed the rice. Replaced it with plain corn meal.
Porridge for breakfast (mush)
Polenta for lunch
Pap for dinner

Add whatever meat, scraps, veggies or stew you can get together with it. Millions live off it in Southern Africa. I grew up with it too. Good shelf life (should be even longer if vacuum sealed in mylar). Gluten free. Hardly affects my glucose. Packs a load of nutrition and is versatile as hell.
Can get it at Walmart in 5lb packs.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 6:36:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I always thought protein powders would be good for storage. If you sealed them up well you have a calorie dense, nutrient packed thing that has vitamins and shit already in there. No idea how it stores long term but there's got to be a way to make it work.

Otherwise if you get canned fruit/veggies/meats that you would eat normally and cycle them out every year it seems it would make sense. some 25 year set-and-forget rice and beans in a tub seem like a good idea (and are cheap) but if you don't eat it regularly it seems ill advised.
View Quote
I bought a couple 11lb bags of whey protein on black friday a few years ago and sealed them in mylar with O2 absorbers.  Ill probably rotate them out when I hit the 5 year mark,  I keep around 10lbs around the house to use normally. I usually go through that much anyway in about 3 months.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I bought a couple 11lb bags of whey protein on black friday a few years ago and sealed them in mylar with O2 absorbers.  Ill probably rotate them out when I hit the 5 year mark,  I keep around 10lbs around the house to use normally. I usually go through that much anyway in about 3 months.
View Quote
@daemon734 I always thought that was a good call. Mix it up with some water and peanut butter and you have a calorie dense milk shake that doesn't taste terrible. I imagine if you cycle it reasonably enough you should be good for a while. sure rice and beans for long term, but a couple of bulk packs of protein powder in mylar with O2 like you're talking about seems doable. it's already set up to be heat tolerant and last a while. I think protein and fat will be more important than carbs at that point, too.

I don't prep for a year+ disruption personally. I feel like you'd need to be self sufficient after probably 6 months so that's the scope I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This but learn how to cook beans properly undercooked beans are one of the leading causes of food poisoning.
View Quote
Pressure cooker is a great solution.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top