Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2020 10:39:52 PM EDT
I recently bought a 2020 moon phase calendar and thought it was nice to have since I was playing with NODS more lately. I really never paid much attention to the phases of the moon beforehand and could not have told you what it would be on any given day. These calendars seem pretty handy to have.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Good for you but this still amazes me. I can’t believe how many people never look up, notice a pattern or hell even know which horizon it rises from
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#2]
The USNO website is undergoing “modernization” through summer 2020, but was an excellent source of data like rise and set times, moon phase, and other astronomical data.

Hopefully it is resumes being an excellent data source in the future.

https://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO

To do it youself you can use this software package:
https://www.willbell.com/almanacs/almanac_mica.htm
It is now Windows only as it doesn’t support 64-bit OSX.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:51:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Its only a fraction of the story...when is moon rise and moon set?  Where will the moon be at the time you plan on hunting?  Hunting in the open, or under tree cover?

A full bright moon is the enemy of NV if you are hunting under a broken tree canopy...there is too big a difference between direct moonlight and the shaded areas.  Ad to that many animals are more skiddish the brighter it gets.

A sliver of moon closer overhead is generally best.

Out in the open, with little moon or  No Moon under full starlight is where the gear shines.  Game feels very protected.  Ambient is consistent.  Low wattage IR lights  and IR lasers aiming devices give amazing results.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:01:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Ive been in situations where no moon meant NV was useless without an illuminator.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#6]
This is one of the reasons that Thermal became a strong option for me............
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got one of these... Shows Moon phase and tide... I goon and live on the beach... Totally useful

G Shock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top