Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2023 2:49:55 PM EDT
I had a new floor put in my little trailer and need to know the best way to preserve the wood. Do you put a preservative on it like a wood deck or just paint it? It stays outside with no real cover or a way to cover it. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Use pressure treated wood, give it a year to "cure" and then stain it. This is what I did.

And each year, if I had any barn paint left over from projects,  I'd slather it on the deck to further preserve it.

Also try to keep leaves and wood )twigs, fire wood etc) from staying on trailer to rot

I'd hit the frame with some black paint a d kept rust at bay.

Right  before I sold it, had some house paint left over a d painted deck white, lol.

If someone stole it, wouldve been easy to ID unless they repainted

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:07:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I've done this to my 6x8 trailer.
Make Trailer Deck Last a Lifetime for FREE with USED Motor Oil

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've done this to my 6x8 trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8PCN041Qqc
View Quote

What happens when its wet and you walk on it ? While I don't doubt it'll preserve it, I'd think the mess would outweigh the benefit
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#4]
What I do is mix diesel with motor oil and coat it good. Let it dry in the hot sun. Pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I used Olympic oil based deck stain/sealer. Been good for about 3 years. Gonna coat it again this year.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I used Olympic oil based deck stain/sealer. Been good for about 3 years. Gonna coat it again this year.
View Quote

Can that or the oil/diesel mixture be painted after it's dry and cured a bit?
I want to paint it for ID purposes if it walks off like the last one did.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Use pressure treated wood, give it a year to "cure" and then stain it. This is what I did.

And each year, if I had any barn paint left over from projects,  I'd slather it on the deck to further preserve it.

Also try to keep leaves and wood )twigs, fire wood etc) from staying on trailer to rot

I'd hit the frame with some black paint a d kept rust at bay.

Right  before I sold it, had some house paint left over a d painted deck white, lol.

If someone stole it, wouldve been easy to ID unless they repainted

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35509/received_3257709931126712_jpeg-2798771.JPG
View Quote

How much did the wood shrink as it cured?
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#8]
This is the sealer I used on my 7X14 utility trailer. Goes on easy whether you roll it on, spray it on or use a brush. I only sealed my trailer a month ago, so I don't know how long it will last. But the reviews are quite good.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 2:06:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How much did the wood shrink as it cured?
View Quote

Don't remember but it shrinks.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 2:24:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What I do is mix diesel with motor oil and coat it good. Let it dry in the hot sun. Pretty cheap.
View Quote
I used this to paint my wood shed. Farmer buddy told me about it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Weld your name, initials, last four of your SS no, or drivers license on the frame somewhere. If you don't want to do that get a metal stamp kit and stamp it on the trailer.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#12]
50/50 diesel and used motor oil.

Slather on, let dry.

Repeat up to 2x then you're good.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:34:02 PM EDT
[#13]
On the used motor oil/diesel mix, how much are you guys finding you use for your size trailer?

I realize that's going to vary some depending on how much the wood can take in, just trying to get a ballpark idea. Also you find it's super slick when wet?
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
On the used motor oil/diesel mix, how much are you guys finding you use for your size trailer?

I realize that's going to vary some depending on how much the wood can take in, just trying to get a ballpark idea. Also you find it's super slick when wet?
View Quote

IIRC, the last time I did my 6' x 10' I mixed up something like 1 gallon of oil and a 1/2 gallon of diesel and it did it all.  Once the sun cooks it for a few days it is not overly slick.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wouldn’t. Doubt it would stick.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What happens when its wet and you walk on it ? While I don't doubt it'll preserve it, I'd think the mess would outweigh the benefit
View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote
The wood soaks the 50/50 mix UMO and diesel up like a sponge.  You'll hardly tell it's there other than slight coloring.

Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 8:05:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I put a coat of waste oil on 2 wagons last night.  I started with about 1/3 diesel and 2/3 waste oil, but the oil was thin enough that I went to something closer to 20:80 on the next mix.  I used something like 3 gallons total on these 2 wagons (rolling it on).  I may follow up with another gallon or two in a pump up sprayer to get in the cracks and on the bottom side.
Crappy before pic:
Attachment Attached File

Crappy after pic:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

WAGONS!!!!!  

I'm a little verklempt.   Been a long time since I have seen wagons.  
View Quote

I've got one, and my uncles have 3 more.  Even in my podunk farming community they are becoming less common all the time.  We still do some square bales, so they are handy for baling directly onto the wagon to save walking the fields.  They're also fairly handy for pulling loads of round bales around the farm as long as the terrain isn't to hilly.  They're not so great pulling down the road, a few of them start getting a little squirrely at 15 MPH +.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#20]
The used oil does work well, and hard to beat reusing waste products. We have treated trailer decks and I even did my wood shooting bench that sits out unprotected, been using the same bench for probably 12 years now. For the shooting bench I covered the top with some kind of rubber flooring we had sitting around to make sure nothing got dirty.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top