Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2022 10:21:10 AM EDT
My wife felt that we needed a travel trailer and so we bought one. I am trying to get things geared up and function test everything.

The trailer is a 1990 Holiday Rambler Feather Lite XL 22'.

Everything appears to be in good shape. I plan to test the fresh water, grey and black tanks today. Although I need to pick up a battery still.(I will use a spare truck battery for the day)

I still need a water regulator and leveling blocks.

I did pick up a good set of wheel chocks though.

I have been searching the you tubes etc and trying to gain some knowledge and tips. But I would appreciate any advice you all would share with me as well.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd make sure the wheel bearings are lubed and the brakes are up to snuff.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Good quality sewer hose,  water hose safe for drinking water 2 50’, extra power cord in the correct amperage as the trailer, chemical for the holding tanks, spare fuses, for the trailer, large camping mat for outside.
I also have dedicated dishes, tableware, camping chairs, towels, grill etc. so I don’t have to load/ unload my trailer every trip..
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Check the water heater on electric and on gas.
How old are the tires?
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:22:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I never got around to testing the fresh, grey or black systems like I had planned. I will have to do that Saturday morning. We are going to take it for a quick trip over to the Koa in town, this weekend. That should help us realize what we are truly missing.

I will have to double check the date stamp on the tires and also pulling them off to check the bearings is on "the list".

I think that we should have most of the other listed things in the works. I went ahead and ordered several things based on some yt videos. My wife is in charge of dishes etc. She has been building her supplies these past few weeks. I will have to get some of the camping supplies loaded up.

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#5]
As others have said:

Bearings, brakes and tires.

As far as water reg goes, the easiest thing to do is to get a marine water inlet with an integrated regulator - it's chromed marine brass, with a brass inlet fitting. The plastic inlets suck - they're ABS plastic, so UV light degrades them, and the fitting on the inside generally works its way loose. You'll never forget the regulator that way, even when you're getting somewhere late and the wife is telling you to hurry the f*** up getting everything sorted.

If you picked up an older trailer, also check the battery (and when replacement time comes, hook up two batteries in parallel if you're dry camping a lot). And check the roof, and the seams on it. Use an autoleveling RV sealant, not residential caulking.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#6]
There are some great RV checklist apps available for Android and Apple smartphones - Very handy for making sure that you aren't forgetting something important when hitching up to leave, or unhitching after arrival.

They're also handy for organizing your tasks so that they're done in the quickest, most efficient manner possible - less running around.

The one I use for Android is called "RV Checklist" - It has a bunch of items already listed, but you can add or delete items to fit your particular requirements.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good quality sewer hose,  water hose safe for drinking water 2 50’, extra power cord in the correct amperage as the trailer, chemical for the holding tanks, spare fuses, for the trailer, large camping mat for outside.
I also have dedicated dishes, tableware, camping chairs, towels, grill etc. so I don’t have to load/ unload my trailer every trip..
View Quote

This!

I also keep these items in the camper at all times. A basic set of tools, 1/2” drive sockets and ratchet/breaker bar and wood blocks for leveling.

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you all for the advice.

I just hooked water up to the unit and things are not looking good for the water system.

It appears this trailer has become a fixer upper. The inlet fitting on the back of the toilet is cracked and the water heater must have froze and split as well.

Like I needed another damn project. FML
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#9]
So the water inlet for the toilet is directly into the back of the toilet and it must have froze and cracked. Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement? Are they all the same for the most part?
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 12:14:53 AM EDT
[#10]
You can probably order a replacement inlet fitting from the toilet manufacturer - rather than replacing the entire toilet.

What toilet brand and model is it?
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You can probably order a replacement inlet fitting from the toilet manufacturer - rather than replacing the entire toilet.

What toilet brand and model is it?
View Quote

It is a Thetford Corp. Model 42058

The inlet is part of the main housing of the toilet. Looks like the whole thing will have to be replaced.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 2:04:08 AM EDT
[#12]
^That would be an "Aqua Magic II" - with the heavy, completely pointless "fine china" bowl.

The Aqua Magic V is a very decent, all-plastic design that weighs about 1/4 as much.

It doesn't look anything like a residential toilet, but it's reliable and very water-stingy.

Some folks have even installed aftermarket bidets on them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As others have said:

Bearings, brakes and tires.

As far as water reg goes, the easiest thing to do is to get a marine water inlet with an integrated regulator - it's chromed marine brass, with a brass inlet fitting. The plastic inlets suck - they're ABS plastic, so UV light degrades them, and the fitting on the inside generally works its way loose. You'll never forget the regulator that way, even when you're getting somewhere late and the wife is telling you to hurry the f*** up getting everything sorted.

If you picked up an older trailer, also check the battery (and when replacement time comes, hook up two batteries in parallel if you're dry camping a lot). And check the roof, and the seams on it. Use an autoleveling RV sealant, not residential caulking.
View Quote

*2 6v gc2 batteries in series* - more reserve capacity.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
^That would be an "Aqua Magic II" - with the heavy, completely pointless "fine china" bowl.

The Aqua Magic V is a very decent, all-plastic design that weighs about 1/4 as much.

It doesn't look anything like a residential toilet, but it's reliable and very water-stingy.

Some folks have even installed aftermarket bidets on them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13258/Bidet_For_Casita_jpg-2430001.JPG
View Quote

Thank you, I did get one ordered. Now I will have to figure out if the water heater was froze and cracked or some pipe fitting..
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#15]
The gas grill that comes with camper is junk get a better one. If you should have any accidents get two opinions.  Camping world wanted 15k to replace an entire roof that was not needed for a hole the size of a dime. Take your camper to a parking lot and practice backing up. I can't stress enough taking your time to learn back up. Don't put pressure on yourself to be perfect, this did not help me learn. when you get to campsite don't worry what others think about your backing up. That's how I got the dime size hole in the roof

Enjoy your time with a loving family. I've watched campers yell at kids and parents blow up. That is not how I would imagine a happy memory is created.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Camping world is generally the worst place to take anything for service.

Check these videos out... RV Roof Install.
2020 Grand Design Reflection
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top