Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2021 12:21:11 AM EDT
Just picked up this Bergara B14 HMR in 450 Bushmaster as my new deer rifle for Michigan's limited firearm zone.  It's a thumper disguised as a precision rifle.  Scope on top is a Viper PST Gen2 3-15x44 with FFP EBR-2D MOA reticle.  The scope is a bit overkill for a .450 but I like scopes with tree reticles since I prefer holdovers to dialing.

Previously I was using a Ruger No. 1 in 450 BM but decided I wanted to switch to a bolt rifle, hence going with the Bergara.

Link Posted: 10/2/2021 12:31:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice. I’ve got one in 6.5C.  Its a better R700 than remington could ever build. Great rifles.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 1:46:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice. I’ve got one in 6.5C.  Its a better R700 than remington could ever build. Great rifles.
View Quote

This is my first Bergara so I wasn't sure what to expect.  Very happy with it so far (haven't shot it yet, though).  Action is really smooth.  It honestly feels close to the Tikkas I've shot in smoothness.  The stock is really nice.  The biggest surprise was probably the trigger, though.  Apparently it's just the stock Bergara trigger but it is a great one.  Factory pull weight on mine is 2.5lb.  I've seen a lot of people praise these and I realize now it wasn't all just hype - they are really high quality rifles.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one in 308 and my buddy has one in 6.5. Neither disappoint.

The whole concept seems excessive for a 450, but I’m sure it will kill deer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have one in 308 and my buddy has one in 6.5. Neither disappoint.

The whole concept seems excessive for a 450, but I’m sure it will kill deer.
View Quote

It is definitely excessive, I won't argue with you there.  I just liked the layout of the HMR vs. the B14 Ridge model.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Love my HMR in 6.5. Quite heavy though, after I added a huge scope and a bi-pod. Not my walking around rifle by any means. One day I'll take it to the deer stand and drop something with it. I really just wanted a bolt action to practice on that wasn't a long action or magnum.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Took it out today to sight in and it surprisingly did not like the Hornady 250gr FTX ammo which is all I use. I was getting between 1.25 and 1.5 inch groups.  Looks like I'll need to try a different type of ammo in the gun.

I sighted my friend's Ruger American in 450BM in for him and was shooting under an inch with just about every group with the Hornady FTX.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Took it out today to sight in and it surprisingly did not like the Hornady 250gr FTX ammo which is all I use. I was getting between 1.25 and 1.5 inch groups.  Looks like I'll need to try a different type of ammo in the gun.

I sighted my friend's Ruger American in 450BM in for him and was shooting under an inch with just about every group with the Hornady FTX.
View Quote

While annoying that it doesn’t like your choice, it’s still plenty fine for deer hunting… you can still make a solid hit to 400yds+ with that kind of spread…
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top