Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2022 9:58:39 PM EDT
So, as much as I like running QRP, there are some days when 100w is necessary.  I asked my buddy jokingly to sell me his Elecraft KXPA100 and he agreed.  I got a smoking deal for $700 and it includes the tuner!  I’ll be running it with my Icom 705.  I’m excited to put the KXPA100 to work.  

Does anyone have experience with this QRP amp?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool! Xiegu makes one that matches up with the G90, but it really jumped in price. I have a lot of fun with low power, but I understand. I tried last night to work a guy from Chile but didn't have the legs to get there.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:13:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very cool! Xiegu makes one that matches up with the G90, but it really jumped in price. I have a lot of fun with low power, but I understand. I tried last night to work a guy from Chile but didn't have the legs to get there.
View Quote

We should try to have a QSO @lorazepam

I worked a guy from Wisconsin and was amazed that I heard him so well.  He worked me using 1 watt!  QRP is fun man.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I worked a guy in BC canada with 1 watt. I kept turning down the power, and he could still hear me. That was fun.
I chase small signals on the waterfall, and look for a few seconds of signal, then nothing, like someone calling cq. If I hit a good one when they are getting started, I have a good chance of getting them. I just wish I could hear better.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 2:48:42 AM EDT
[#4]
QRO for the win...and great price on the Elecraft amp!
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:30:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does anyone have experience with this QRP amp?
View Quote

Had one - never used it - sold it.

Does that count?
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Good for you! While QRP is a lot of fun, it's nice to be able to flip the switch for 100 Watts.

FULL DISCLOSURE: About half of my QSOs are uner 5 Watts. Often during the SKCC and SST contests, I'll "jump the pond" while pumping 5 Watts into my dipoles.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I worked a guy in BC canada with 1 watt. I kept turning down the power, and he could still hear me. That was fun.
I chase small signals on the waterfall, and look for a few seconds of signal, then nothing, like someone calling cq. If I hit a good one when they are getting started, I have a good chance of getting them. I just wish I could hear better.
View Quote

At least you’re cagey enough to use the waterfall to your advantage.

OP is on the lam for robbery!
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I can relate, while working CW on 30 Meters* I happened to get a QSO with  fellow in OK. He was saying how there was usually a 'pipe line' between our QTHs. I had the KX3 on the bench and the lowest I could set the TX output was 50 mW. It worked!
Rob
* I meant 30 Meters, not 10 mHz, 10 mHz to Oklahoma from here would be short skip.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Just wanted to come back to the thread and post a photo.  This amp works perfectly with the Icom 705.  I’ve used it heavily for the past few days running FT8 on several bands.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:00:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Very nice combo!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top