Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2022 12:54:59 AM EDT

60dmm.com QRP amplifier for you QRP nerds.

Looks like something the QRP guys here might be interested in.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 2:22:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Years ago I bought one of those amplifier kits from Amazon that was like $12.00 but you had to assemble everything.  I soldered it all up and found a good sized case and a heat sink, etc. But never got around to finishing it.  I also built a switchable filter kit and had found plans online for the FT-817 band switching interface.  I bought the DIN plug and everything.  I still have it all, but if I ever want to be left alone long enough to finish it I will have to send my wife and kids on a vacation without me.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#2]
With an external battery, the IC-705 will put out 10 watts, not sure dialing it down to 2 watts and using the amp to put out 50 watts is a big improvement. My setup, ie tuner and cables are all geared towards 10 watts. I would have to use a bigger tuner and a different non-QRP antenna system to put out 50 watts. So although the extra power might make a difference in getting above the noise floor on the other end, I would have to revamp my whole QRP GoBox.

ETA:
After looking up the MFJ-9201 tuner specs, after getting a good SWR it can handle 100 watts, and even theRG-316 coax I used can easily handle the power.

This amp may end up in my GoBox if it will fit.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#3]
The website has no information at all about where this company is located, no address, no phone number, just a contact form, not even an email address.

That is concerning.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#4]
One of the circuit boards had 60Db website and Ukraine printed on it.

If I was running a 705 I would choose the Hardrock 50 with a ATU and 705 Bluetooth interface options. You can buy prewound toroids for amp and tuner.

https://www.hobbypcb.com/products/hf-radio/hardrock-50-hf-power-amp
https://www.hobbypcb.com/index.php/products/hf-radio/hardrock-50-atu-kit
https://www.hobbypcb.com/index.php/products/hf-radio/ic705-to-hardrock-interface-detail
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The website has no information at all about where this company is located, no address, no phone number, just a contact form, not even an email address.

That is concerning.
View Quote

The video mentioned a Ukrainian ham was making them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is concerning.

So sending hundreds of $ for something to an active war zone.

No thanks
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No thanks
View Quote

Your credit card and paypal both offer some protection. I wouldn't worry about that, personally.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Your credit card and paypal both offer some protection. I wouldn't worry about that, personally.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No thanks

how about if it stops working 3 months later, where do you get it serviced
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#9]
My RigExpert antenna analyzer falls into the same category as the amp. Not sure where it would get serviced either.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm kinda the same way, I've wanted a Rig Expert as well and feel the same.

@Mach
Have you looked into this amplifier on Amazon.

Somewhere around here I have an HF Packer Amplifier from about 10-15 years ago. It was a well designed kit. The Amp is out of print but there is a lot of info on the Groups.io site. Groups.io HF Packer
Rob
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm kinda the same way, I've wanted a Rig Expert as well and feel the same.

@Mach
Have you looked into this amplifier on Amazon.

Somewhere around here I have an HF Packer Amplifier from about 10-15 years ago. It was a well designed kit. The Amp is out of print but there is a lot of info on the Groups.io site. Groups.io HF Packer
Rob
View Quote

Yeah been eyeing that, a bit cheaper on eBay.

Just don’t know if it’s worth the money to go from 10 watts to 45 watts if 10 watts doesn’t hack it.

Off grid battery pedestrian / kayak travel consumption is also an issue.

That is why I set up a QRP rig.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My RigExpert antenna analyzer falls into the same category as the amp. Not sure where it would get serviced either.
View Quote

Where to service
The RigExpertCare™ limited warranty is provided by the Rig Expert Ukraine Ltd. itself by granting the RigExpertCare™ Service Center Partners the power to perform replacement of defective product to the new one throughout the 2-year warranty period regardless of where the product was purchased. The Customer can apply to any RigExpertCare™ Service Center Partner in order to get RigExpertCare™ service.

Read more about RigExpertCare™ program here.

List of REU Service Centers & ??RigExpertCare™ Service Center Partners:

North America
?? DX Engineering
[email protected]
?? +18007770703,
?? +13305723200
?? GigaParts Inc.
[email protected]
?? +18665354442
?? RigExpert USA and Canada, Inc.
[email protected]
?? +14169883572
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#13]
@Mach
Hi Mach,
From the example, going from 10 watts to 20 watts is 3 dB, from 20 watts to 45 watts is more than another 3dB, which is a full "S" unit above the 10 watts out from the exciter. In those terms it might be worth the squeeze.  I don't know if the amp has good HI-Pass filtering, I'd want a clean signal.
Rob
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@Mach
Hi Mach,
From the example, going from 10 watts to 20 watts is 3 dB, from 20 watts to 45 watts is more than another 3dB, which is a full "S" unit above the 10 watts out from the exciter. In those terms it might be worth the squeeze.  I don't know if the amp has good HI-Pass filtering, I'd want a clean signal.
Rob
View Quote

HI Rob,

Yes 6 db increase. But in the grand  scheme of radio, 6 db is not a lot when trying to over come suburban noise levels on the receiving end. Most of my QRP is all about regional comes within a few hundred miles away so when I am out on a trip to the middle of nowhere, I can communicate with my son at home.

Last year was the first time I went with a QRP setup and was able to phone QSO home on 40 meters late afternoon with 5 watts. It was a 20 watts Chinese radio, as the sun got lower, the band went long and even a 6 db nor’easter in power ( 20 watts )  could not compensate for the declining prop and his noise level.

( I already have an Inreach mini, but that is not as fun ). At the higher battery drain of 7-8 amps instead of 1.5 and the extra weight and bulk, just not sure a 6 db increase is worth chasing. I am not really interested in talking to anybody, interested in talking to someone in particular which we all know is challenging. I also went with a digital setup which is less battery drain but also more weight and bulk and Olivia and even more so JS8Call really gives a much bigger punch at 10 watts putting it into 50 hz instead of 2800 hz, that is almost an 18 db difference with JS8Call, although it adds much more complexity of things not just working when you turn them on.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#15]
@Mach
No worries, understood, maybe a different tool out of the box. . . . . You guys ever try 60M? It might have the needed NVIS capability with out the crowding problems of 75M. I just reread your post, digital is ok on 60M on the SSB frequencies. NVIS on 80M might work better if the noise can be dealt with one way or another.  I suggest sticking with digital modes, usable software, and band change flexibility to 60M and or 80M as propagation changes.
Rob

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:39:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top