Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2018 12:01:36 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with them? The Boomer series in particular.

Looking at a Boomer 25 with a FEL.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Apr 28, 2017 · Boomer tractors are manufactured by LS Tractor in South Korea and imported by LS-New Holland. LS's roots date back to 1975 when LG Tractor was created through a joint venture between Hyundai and Yanmar.

Kubota Manufacturing of America (KMA) Headquarters: Gainesville, Georgia, USA. KMA was formed in 1988 as Kubota's North American manufacturing base. KMA manufactures and assembles Kubota lawn tractors, zero-turn mowers, sub-compact tractors, utility vehicles, loaders, backhoes and other implements.

Made in South Korea:

Attachment Attached File

Made in USA:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#2]
We had a 2000 ish 40 hp Boomer growing up and it was one hell of a tractor.  Held up well and had a great loader.

That said I prefer to buy American and went Deere for that and because only they offered some features I wanted.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We had a 2000 ish 40 hp Boomer growing up and it was one hell of a tractor.  Held up well and had a great loader.

That said I prefer to buy American and went Deere for that and because only they offered some features I wanted.
View Quote
Looks like the Boomer 40 series ran from 2011-2013, and was restarted with 1 less HP in 2017.

Do you find that John Deere's proprietary "everything" is detrimental? Especially in the pocket book?
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looks like the Boomer 40 series ran from 2011-2013, and was restarted with 1 less HP in 2017.

Do you find that John Deere's proprietary "everything" is detrimental? Especially in the pocket book?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of my stuff is  Deere.   I don't find any of their proprietary stuff detrimental.

Any attachment made for skid loader / universal QD, is typically made and priced the same for John Deere QD.  Forks / Hay forks / buckets / etc.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
It was a TC40.  I remember them being advertised as "boomer", but I think you're correct, not the same as the current Boomer series.

Personally I don't think it's detrimental.  John Deere fluids don't seem to cost more than other quality fluids on the market. Parts may be a little higher but not enough so to keep me from buying Deere.

The only potential detriment in my mind is JD uses their own attachment method for loader attachments (JDQA).  Even then, you're not tied to JD for attachments, can buy about anything you want from anyone that will work with the JD loader, Everything Attachments for example. The only time this may be a detriment in my eyes is if you have existing attachments that are SSQA (the standard) and want to buy a JD tractor and loader.  Even then, adapters are available and JD even offers conversion parts so you can convert your JD loader to SSQA.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It was a TC40.  I remember them being advertised as "boomer", but I think you're correct, not the same as the current Boomer series.

Personally I don't think it's detrimental.  John Deere fluids don't seem to cost more than other quality fluids on the market. Parts may be a little higher but not enough so to keep me from buying Deere.

The only potential detriment in my mind is JD uses their own attachment method for loader attachments (JDQA).  Even then, you're not tied to JD for attachments, can buy about anything you want from anyone that will work with the JD loader, Everything Attachments for example. The only time this may be a detriment in my eyes is if you have existing attachments that are SSQA (the standard) and want to buy a JD tractor and loader.  Even then, adapters are available and JD even offers conversion parts so you can convert your JD loader to SSQA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why use john deere fluids?

Serious question. It's not like John Deere makes their own fluids.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Availability.  Within a mile of a Deere dealer at work.  No other places close that have decent prices on quality fluids.

Any recommendations for a good online source?  Have a 2017 2032R.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Availability.  Within a mile of a Deere dealer at work.  No other places close that have decent prices on quality fluids.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll pay more in shipping then cost of the product.

I run Kendall Super D-XA in my 2305 / 6410 / 5425 and 4210, all 15w40.

10w30 is the new recommended fluid, I believe.  So Kendall Super D-XA 10w30.

I Replaced all the hydraulic fluids with Kendall Hyken 052 Plus.  Really reduced a lot of the chatter in the hydrostatic transmissions and in the hydraulics on warm up.

I dropped my anti-freeze and replaced it with Final Charge 50/50.

A mile away from the dealer, I certainly agree with availability there.  (For the Record, P66 / Kendall is one of the 3 OEM's Deere uses for their fluids.)
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You'll pay more in shipping then cost of the product.

I run Kendall Super D-XA in my 2305 / 6410 / 5425 and 4210, all 15w40.

10w30 is the new recommended fluid, I believe.  So Kendall Super D-XA 10w30.

I Replaced all the hydraulic fluids with Kendall Hyken 052 Plus.  Really reduced a lot of the chatter in the hydrostatic transmissions and in the hydraulics on warm up.

I dropped my anti-freeze and replaced it with Final Charge 50/50.

A mile away from the dealer, I certainly agree with availability there.  (For the Record, P66 / Kendall is one of the 3 OEM's Deere uses for their fluids.)
View Quote
Thanks!  I'll see if I can swing a deal with our Kendall supplier at work.  Don't have high hopes though.

Sorry for the hijack OP.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:(For the Record, P66 / Kendall is one of the 3 OEM's Deere uses for their fluids.)
View Quote
There is more to it than who makes it.

The same company that build the Ferrari slaying GT-40 also built the Pinto.  Specs are important and may vary from one kind of oil to another.

If I had a new one I would run OEM fluids and filters.  Parts store filters (Wix and the like) won't be any cheaper anyway.

IIRC a bucket of Plus 50II runs around $90 and a bucket of Hy-Gard runs around $80.  You are not going to get name brand oil much cheaper especially with shipping.

Hydraulics are not cheap, front axle guts are not cheap, transmissions/hydrostats are not cheap and it doesn't matter what color it is painted.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The same company that build the Ferrari slaying GT-40 also built the Pinto.  Specs are important and may vary from one kind of oil to another.

If I had a new one I would run OEM fluids and filters.  Parts store filters (Wix and the like) won't be any cheaper anyway.

IIRC a bucket of Plus 50II runs around $90 and a bucket of Hy-Gard runs around $80.  You are not going to get name brand oil much cheaper especially with shipping.

Hydraulics are not cheap, front axle guts are not cheap, transmissions/hydrostats are not cheap and it doesn't matter what color it is painted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:(For the Record, P66 / Kendall is one of the 3 OEM's Deere uses for their fluids.)

Hyken 052 plus blows away Hy-Gard.  That can be seen in their product data sheets.  It's a better base oil, better viscosity index, newer additive package.

Visit your local oil distributor, it's much cheaper.

But really, it *is* who makes it.  As it's their base oils, it's their additive designs.

Yeah, don't use Warren distribution or Smitty's no name tractor supply bullshit.  I agree. But a major name brand who also is the OEM? Different story. Kendall/P66s products are the top of their class right now.  Chevron used to be, but got surpassed. Mobil is still up there, but they have a good handle on the yellow iron OEM side and automotive. CAT OEM oils, GM and Toyota OEM.

Edit

Just incase you were curious of my background, my family owns one of the largest oil distributors in the US. We've been in business 99 years now. I'm our head buyer and logistics manager. Thus, I over see quality assurance. We also own the distribution rights of a major name brand.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Edit

Just incase you were curious of my background, my family owns one of the largest oil distributors in the US. We've been in business 99 years now. I'm our head buyer and logistics manager. Thus, I over see quality assurance. We also own the distribution rights of a major name brand.
View Quote
That would explain your wealth of knowledge in the diesel fuel threads. Thanks for sharing/contributing.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#13]
How about Kioti?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Workmaster 40, checking in. Mine is a 2013, so pre emissions BS (thanks Obama!). The people we bought our house from bought themselves a brandy new Boomer 37 after I warned them not to. They had so many issues with the EGR and DPF regen, they sold it and bought a Tier III tractor. No more issues.

I will tell you I was hell bent on buying a 4x4 and a HST. I bought a shuttle instead, and having driven my neighbors Kubota 47hp that is a HST, I can tell you mine being a gear tractor is a better performer, FWIW.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Shell Rotella HD can be had for $60 bucks a bucket.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
My American made Deere just got out of the shop. $9500 later after fixing the Chinese steel busted in half bell housing, I'm pricing out new Holland's now in 50 horsepower plus categories.
Honestly I will never buy another compact. They are basically overpriced lawn tractors that are poorly made. Doesn't matter what brand.
If you need a fel, spend the extra money and buy a full size tractor.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Friends don't let friends run rotella.

Seriously Rotella T4 and T5 are junk engine oils.  Rotella tractor fluid is about the same as my house brand, which is ~$40 ish a bucket.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Seriously Rotella T4 and T5 are junk engine oils.  Rotella tractor fluid is about the same as my house brand, which is ~$40 ish a bucket.
View Quote
Cool story
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cool story
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool story

Cool proof.

Rotella is junk. It's very well known.  Fact of the matter is they use cheap polymers and it shears.

Edit

The above was tested against Rotella T5.  "Major 3"

Major 1 is Mobil Delvac
Major 2 is Chevron Delo XLE
Major 4 is Petro Canada Duron-E
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/148484/rotellano-569465.jpg

Cool proof.

Rotella is junk. It's very well known.  Fact of the matter is they use cheap polymers and it shears.

Edit

Major 1 is Mobil Delvac
View Quote
Cool story again...when Detroit Diesel, Ford, Volvo, CAT, and Mercedes Benz to name a few remove Rotella T4, T5 and T6 from their approved oil lists then "junk" might be appropriate.    I am in the business as well and every test out there is "junk".  Rotella is an acceptable oil, just like your brands.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cool story again...when Detroit Diesel, Ford, Volvo, CAT, and Mercedes Benz to name a few remove Rotella T4, T5 and T6 from their approved oil lists then "junk" might be appropriate.    I am in the business as well and every test out there is "junk".  Rotella is an acceptable oil, just like your brands.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/148484/rotellano-569465.jpg

Cool proof.

Edit

Major 1 is Mobil Delvac
So you're saying OEM approved tests are junk.  Yet you're going by OEM approvals...

Hmm.

Most people in the industry, unless you sell shell products, know how junk rotella is.  I sell rotella, and it's still junk. Shell just throws 50+ million a year marketing it.

Edited for wording.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:03:26 AM EDT
[#22]
The new New Holland’s are junk. The emissions bullshit kills them.  We rent 3-5 of the boomers/40 hp tractors a year for harvest and have at least one lock up due to engine codes a season.

The kubotas have the emissions too but they have a really easy way to actively be regenerated and we have not had to take one to the dealer because they locked up.

The current kubotas and new Holland’s both feel chincy compared to past models.  Probably wouldn’t work for you but check out Antonio carraros, no emisions yet and they are pretty sweet. No zero percent financing and they need maintenance and to be operated by an operator not driven by a driver.

As for oil just buy house brand from your local distributor that is easy to get to and change it kind of regular.  Napa sells filters cheap once or twice a year, just get the air filters from the dealer, I’m not a fan of Napa’s inner air filters.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So you're saying OEM approved tests are junk.  Yet you're going by OEM approvals...

Hmm.

Most people in the industry, unless you sell shell products, know how junk rotella is.  I sell rotella, and it's still junk. Shell just throws 50+ million a year marketing it.

Edited for wording.
View Quote
nope the opposite...as long as OEMs approve Rotella I will use it.   Why do you sell "junk"?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
nope the opposite...as long as OEMs approve Rotella I will use it.   Why do you sell "junk"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm.

Edited for wording.
Because people want to buy it.  I'm in the business to make money, if someone wants to pay me $13 a gallon for crap, so be it. I'll do my best to sell them on other products, but people like marketing.  That sponsored NASCAR car needs paid for somehow. So does the multi-million dollar rotella 'Truck of the future',  etc.

There's better oil for less. Rotella meets the dead MINIMUM of specifications and it even does that poorly at best.   Same with Mobil Delvac.

Would you use ammo, that is a $1 a round, inconsistent, dirty, steel cased, etc.?

Or would you use ammo that is $.50 a round, that is consistent and a cleaner round?

I know my answer.   Right now, Rotella is the over priced, steel case, crap of the world.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Because people want to buy it.  I'm in the business to make money, if someone wants to pay me $13 a gallon for crap, so be it. I'll do my best to sell them on other products, but people like marketing.  That sponsored NASCAR car needs paid for somehow. So does the multi-million dollar rotella 'Truck of the future',  etc.

There's better oil for less. Rotella meets the dead MINIMUM of specifications and it even does that poorly at best.   Same with Mobil Delvac.

Would you use ammo, that is a $1 a round, inconsistent, dirty, steel cased, etc.?

Or would you use ammo that is $.50 a round, that is consistent and a cleaner round?

I know my answer.   Right now, Rotella is the over priced, steel case, crap of the world.
View Quote
Hmmm.   Just because you can does not mean you have to.   Would you be able to afford brass ammo if you stopped selling Rotella?   Looks like Rotella is a significant part of your business plan!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hmmm.   Just because you can does not mean you have to.   Would you be able to afford brass ammo if you stopped selling Rotella?   Looks like Rotella is a significant part of your business plan!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

I could stop selling Rotella anytime I wanted to.  Actually, I dropped it from bulk.

We're the largest Ford Motorcraft, Honda Lubricants, Subaru Lubricants, Kendall Lubricants and Gulf Lubricants distributor in the US.   We're the third largest P66 distributor, still one of the largest Citgo distributors strictly by accident, a large chevron wholesaler by accident and still move some shell product.  Let alone our specialty industrial lubricants, such as Summit industrial products, quaker chemical, etc. etc  And our house brand lubricants still sells about 4 million gallons / year.

Our sister company (I am not affiliated with it) is the largest Shell joint venture in light ends in the US.

Over the last 18 years, we've purchased 7 shell lubricants distributors.  And we've essentially stopped selling Shell products.

So yeah, I can live without Shell.  Outside of T6, the rest of the Rotella engine oil family is junk.  Has been since about ~2007 when they changed the formulation and cheapened it up.   I've seen too many lawsuits over Rotella (especially in stationary engines), I've seen too many terrible oil analysis reports.  I know who solubilizes their additives for them, and to quote them "We just make it to the specs they want."

I know a thing or two about Shell. They'd love to re-sign us a major distributor. But we won't.  It's not worth carrying their products besides what we absolutely have to for some customers. (Mostly quicklubes, who want the brand)
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have heard of Rottella foaming in the high pressure oil systems of Ford Powerstrokes and causing problems.

I run it or Delvac 15-40 in my JD B, it is cheap and vastly better than whatever "spec" John Deere had in the 40's.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes.

I could stop selling Rotella anytime I wanted to.  Actually, I dropped it from bulk.

We're the largest Ford Motorcraft, Honda Lubricants, Subaru Lubricants, Kendall Lubricants and Gulf Lubricants distributor in the US.   We're the third largest P66 distributor, still one of the largest Citgo distributors strictly by accident, a large chevron wholesaler by accident and still move some shell product.  Let alone our specialty industrial lubricants, such as Summit industrial products, quaker chemical, etc. etc  And our house brand lubricants still sells about 4 million gallons / year.

Our sister company (I am not affiliated with it) is the largest Shell joint venture in light ends in the US.

Over the last 18 years, we've purchased 7 shell lubricants distributors.  And we've essentially stopped selling Shell products.

So yeah, I can live without Shell.  Outside of T6, the rest of the Rotella engine oil family is junk.  Has been since about ~2007 when they changed the formulation and cheapened it up.   I've seen too many lawsuits over Rotella (especially in stationary engines), I've seen too many terrible oil analysis reports.  I know who solubilizes their additives for them, and to quote them "We just make it to the specs they want."

I know a thing or two about Shell. They'd love to re-sign us a major distributor. But we won't.  It's not worth carrying their products besides what we absolutely have to for some customers. (Mostly quicklubes, who want the brand)
View Quote
I love to find guys who know their stuff.

In addition to telling us what to avoid.....

let us know what we should be using...

I'm totally new to diesel equipment and rural lifestyle scene so basically dumber than a box of rocks.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Should I change the thread title? Its pretty far into left field.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

Mine has been rock solid. 250 hrs of hard use clearing ground, moving large rocks, mowing, haying etc.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:43:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm totally new to diesel equipment and rural lifestyle scene so basically dumber than a box of rocks.

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Thanks
For newer equipment* - I'm a big fan of Kendall/P66 products.  They have the best base oils on the market currently. They also have the newest additive packages on the market.  They've been dumping a ton of money into R&D now for the last 10 years.  Significantly more than the other majors.

If you can't find p66/Kendall products, I'd second to Chevron.

From there, we can discuss other brands. What Mobil and shell does, is simply marketing. Their R&D recently has significantly fallen off, because they have marketing. Why make a good product, which is expensive... When you can just market the shit out of meh product?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top