Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2020 2:22:20 AM EDT
Hello all, I know this is a HAM forum. I have been looking into ham radio and I dont think it is right for me.

I am basically looking for walkie talkies that dont suck. Is there a such thing as a "repeater" or booster for basic walkie talkies?

Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 2:47:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes. Simplex repeater controller, manufacturers vary. If you can figure out how to get one to work with a transceiver, it starts recording when a signal is received, then plays it back shortly after the signal stops, through the mic jack.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 2:54:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool thanks! that gives me a rabbit hole to start down. lol

HAM just seems like more time and commitment than I have. Maybe someday
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 3:03:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hello all, I know this is a HAM forum. I have been looking into ham radio and I dont think it is right for me.

I am basically looking for walkie talkies that dont suck. Is there a such thing as a "repeater" or booster for basic walkie talkies?

Any help is appreciated.
View Quote

Need some more information about what you are trying to do. Is this for a business? Personal? How much range do you need? Define "don't suck".

Amateur radio is a forum for technically minded folks to experiment and interact, it isn't the answer to all communications needs.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 3:34:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Not legally without a license, simplex or not.  Falls under automatic operation of part 95 equipment.  
Easiest/lowest-cost is GMRS which allows up to 50W repeater.  The cheap-shit FRS/GMRS radios don't do split, but the decent ones will.  My Garmin Rinos have a switch in the menu to enable the GMRS repeater channels.  Pretty sure the higher-end T-series talkabouts do this as well.

FRS, MURS, CB... nope.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 4:15:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not legally without a license, simplex or not.  Falls under automatic operation of part 95 equipment.  
Easiest/lowest-cost is GMRS which allows up to 50W repeater.  The cheap-shit FRS/GMRS radios don't do split, but the decent ones will.  My Garmin Rinos have a switch in the menu to enable the GMRS repeater channels.  Pretty sure the higher-end T-series talkabouts do this as well.

FRS, MURS, CB... nope.
View Quote

I just searched for any Part 95 radio services' bans on repeaters. While MURS bans repeater stations, the prohibition in the FRS subpart is only of data packet repeaters, not voice. And I'm not finding any prohibition of voice repeaters on CBRS.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/95.2733
Prohibited MURS uses.
MURS stations must not be operated as repeater stations or signal boosters. This prohibition includes store-and-forward packet operation.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/95.587
(d) Packet mode. FRS transmitter types must not be capable of transmitting data in the store-and-forward packet operation mode.

If they won't even let you operate at the control point of your repeater the whole time it's in use, it seems redundant to put in these extra specific prohibitions against repeaters...
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 4:36:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Need some more information about what you are trying to do. Is this for a business? Personal? How much range do you need? Define "don't suck".

Amateur radio is a forum for technically minded folks to experiment and interact, it isn't the answer to all communications needs.
View Quote

I live in a small city and would like radios that work within the city for 2 way communication. This would be for personal use.
I carry my police radio on duty and it would be perfect for what I want. I just dont know anything about it. I know it uses a repeater. I'm not sure if it only uses that to reach dispatch 35 miles away, or if the repeater is required for how good the radio works in the city.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Who is it you want to talk to?
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Who is it you want to talk to?
View Quote

That?!

And if it is Ham Radio Ops, Start Here
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I live in a small city and would like radios that work within the city for 2 way communication. This would be for personal use.
I carry my police radio on duty and it would be perfect for what I want. I just dont know anything about it. I know it uses a repeater. I'm not sure if it only uses that to reach dispatch 35 miles away, or if the repeater is required for how good the radio works in the city.
View Quote

Yes it uses a repeater, quite possibly more than one depending on the size of your city.

The only way you are going to get similar performance out of a radio system is to have similar infrastructure to support it.

GMRS is the "personal use" radio service which has the capability of repeaters. You can always put up your own repeater system ($) but it would be easier if there was an existing system in your area:

https://mygmrs.com/browse

https://www.repeaterbook.com/gmrs/index.php?state_id=none
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top