Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2019 9:06:50 AM EDT
Looking for a new air rifle to hunt with. Would like it to be quieter than the old Gammo I have now. I'd also like to have iron sights for the youngsters to practice with. Any recommendations anyone?
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Type of game would be nice -

I have a nice benjamin discovery for small pest control.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Squirrel and rabbit mostly. If the cat starts slacking have some mice.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Considering you're in texas, a co2 gun could suit your needs nicely all year round as a low entry cost option.

A pump gun just gets old and annoying after a few shots and the action is very slow and noisy, so for hunting it can be a real PITA, or a gentleman's challenge.

Single stroke pneumatics are generally only suited for paper.

Springers have a steep learning curve to be used effectively, but aren't too loud or slow to operate. They are also of course self contained and rarely need any maintenance.

The discovery is a great starter option for minimal target shooting (using the bicycle pump gets old) and loud hunting. They can easily be tuned and customized between calibers for anything from rat to fox size game. With some more in depth mods and a .25cal barrel, you could use them on coyote at close range.

An upgrade of the discovery is the marauder. The main point is being integrally suppressed.

The crosman guns have an amazing aftermarket. They're like AR15s, the sky is the limit.

Please for the love of god do not buy another gamo product, or anything branded by a gunmaker, e.g. ruger or remington. All junk.

For a spring gun, look at RWS/Diana, and Weirhrauch. Make damn certain any optics you put on a springer are designed for it. I've seen scopes that have spent years on magnum centerfires get destroyed by springers in minutes. They don't have to be expensive, just designed for that use. Pumps and tank guns can use regular optics.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm looking hard at the Seneca Aspen/ Nova Freedom. Ugly as sin, but they have decent reviews. They have a magazine, sidelever bolt, and a self contained pumping system. Pretty unique, hopefully other companies follow suit with the self contained pump.

The standard seems to be the Benjamin Marauder, but they're a bit pricey. If you buy from the crosman.com website you get free shipping on Fridays. Use code "AGNATION" for an extra 25% off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top