Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2024 9:32:30 PM EDT
As the title says, our middle grandson turns 7 next month and has outgrown the kiddie rod and reel combo.  This first fishing pole was more of a cheap toy to find out if he likes fishing.  He does and now needs a real rod and reel combo that will keep him learning and enjoying fishing.

He is just starting to get tall, by the end of the summer he will probably be around 4'6".  It would be nice to get him a rod and reel combo that he can use for a couple of years.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Where and what for is he fishing?
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 9:45:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ltcdwb] [#2]
Right now we are fishing at our pond that is stocked with large moth bass, blue gill, red ear sun fish.  This Spring and Summer we will be fishing from a pontoon boat in the Highland Lakes for the same type of fish.

ETA: His first rod and reel combo is the ZEBCO style reel with a plastic housing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]
There are some nice 5 or 5.5 ft crappie rods out there - shimano etc . Look at Cabelas , they will have some nice affordable combo's .
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:17:06 PM EDT
[#4]
OP,,,Stick with the Zebco line. They make much better reels that he has now and the learning curve will be quite short. When he gets to about 8-10 you can THEN transition him into bait casters and spinning rigs.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input.  I talked with our son-in-law and he sent me a picture of the grand boy's current fishing pole.  It is a Shakespeare rig and the pole is 30" long.  The reel is of the Zebco design, so we will stick with that since he is used to that design.  For the pole, I'm thinking maybe a 5' - 6'.  

I was pretty close to estimating his height, right now he is 4'2", so the rod could be 5' (if I understand things.)

Here is the current set up.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#6]
The Zebco 33 spincast reel used to be kind of a "gold standard" for starting out, and they used to last for years. I haven't had one in years, at least since they moved production to china. Paired with a 5 to 5-1/2 foot light or medium light action rod, they would make a good starter combo. My only real suggestion would be to make sure he gets a good combo so he doesn't spend more time working on it than fishing with it...I'm sure you know that already though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 7:38:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#7]
Originally Posted By ltcdwb:
As the title says, our middle grandson turns 7 next month and has outgrown the kiddie rod and reel combo.  This first fishing pole was more of a cheap toy to find out if he likes fishing.  He does and now needs a real rod and reel combo that will keep him learning and enjoying fishing.

He is just starting to get tall, by the end of the summer he will probably be around 4'6".  It would be nice to get him a rod and reel combo that he can use for a couple of years.
View Quote

I got these for my twins when they were 8 and they have been great.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zebco-33-Tactical-Spincast-Reel-and-Fishing-Rod-Combo/144624593?from=/search

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:44:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cossa] [#8]
zebco 33 with about a 5-1/2 foot rod should be good to go for a while
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, now Mimi and I need to go shopping.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a small (1000 series) spinning combo that I purchased at Academy for ~$40 that works great for the kids.  Since it's a smaller version of the big stuff it really makes them feel like they are fishing with big time gear. My kids learned with that combo, and now they can pick up my $1000+ gear and know how to use it.   They really can't mess it up any more than the closed faced set up, plus the rod action and retrieval speed is much better than the zebco stuff.

https://www.academy.com/p/mr-crappie%C2%AE-slab-shaker%E2%84%A2-56-l-freshwater-spinning-rod-and-reel-combo?sku=5-6-medium-light-5-2-1-1

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I’d recommend an open faced spinning reel. I, like many, started off with zebcos. Still have my first one. They’re great for kids, once you reach a certain point they’re more trouble than they’re worth. I remember being in my teens and having like 10 zebcos lining the bank in rod holders. I caught a lot of fish with em but it wasn’t long before I started having problems with em. They just don’t stand up to even moderate use, great for every once in a while.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 12:32:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#12]
I despise open faced spinning reels.  I just hate using them.  I went from a push-button spincast Zebco 33 (back when they were good), to a baitcaster and never looked back.  It likely is impacted by the kind of fish in your area, and baits.  I fish for bass with spinners and worms.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 3:59:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VAbull:
There are some nice 5 or 5.5 ft crappie rods out there - shimano etc . Look at Cabelas , they will have some nice affordable combo's .
View Quote

why buy a crappy rod - get a decent one at least
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top