Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2019 9:55:05 AM EDT
Wasn't sure where to post this, so I'll throw it out here ...

I'm interested specifically in getting a pair of well-insulated cold weather hunting boots (think: snow, wind & temps in the teens) that you'd wear when sitting in an unheated blind or tree stand.

The ones I wore last season while seated in a tree stand didn't really keep the cold from penetrating but maybe for an hour or so. I had good wool socks on. But I need some boots that'll keep my feet from freezing when stationary for a few hours.

I've gone thru the latest LL.Bean catalog, but thought I'd get some input from the experienced outdoor folks  and cold-weather hunters here.

Recommendations? Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I know there's warmer ones out there, But I've been wearing Cabelas Iron Ridge boots for the last four years now. Light weight and combined with either a sole or toe warmers I have no problem sitting out in our Western NY weather.
BTW on sale right now for some $50 cheaper than when I bought them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorel Caribou. Thats all...
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#3]
YMMV....  But I've been a longtime fan of Rocky Boots.  Warm, waterproof, comfortable, and very durable.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#4]
You can spend a lot on boots but it is really hard to beat the old military standby of white VB.

Good as the commercial stuff, they truly take a second seat to the surplus stuff..........and the things are substantially cheaper as well.

I was at the Army's arctic test center for three winters and experienced temps in the minus 60's............with utterly no problem in foot warmth.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorel for sure.

ETA: I used to spend the month of January at our mining claim cabin 12k ft altitude level along the Great Divide outside Buena Vista, CO. It was typically 30 below and never without several ft of snow. Sorel was the only boot, along with good socks, that kept my feet warm and dry, and I tried many.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can spend a lot on boots but it is really hard to beat the old military standby of white VB.

Good as the commercial stuff, they truly take a second seat to the surplus stuff..........and the things are substantially cheaper as well.

I was at the Army's arctic test center for three winters and experienced temps in the minus 60's............with utterly no problem in foot warmth.
View Quote
I second this post. Black ones with valve are also available but only good to -20.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sorel for sure.

ETA: I used to spend the month of January at our mining claim cabin 12k ft altitude level along the Great Divide outside Buena Vista, CO. It was typically 30 below and never without several ft of snow. Sorel was the only boot, along with good socks, that kept my feet warm and dry, and I tried many.
View Quote
Soren seems has a ton of variety in their boots. One is their Caribou 'wool' boot. Is that the one you're referring to?

https://www.amazon.com/Sorel-Mens-Caribou-Wool-Boot/dp/B001OTYZC0
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Soren seems has a ton of variety in their boots. One is their Caribou 'wool' boot. Is that the one you're referring to?

https://www.amazon.com/Sorel-Mens-Caribou-Wool-Boot/dp/B001OTYZC0
View Quote
Yes. If your budget can go a bit higher, the Oboz Bridger insulated b-dry is also a great boot with newer technology.  If I’m not expecting to encounter serous mud or water, I wear those.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a pair of sorel caribou boots my first winter in Alaska after moving back for college.  They are not warm enough for Fairbanks winters for anything more than walking to and from your car.  Personally for what you are looking for I would say a pair of Bogs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorel makes boots that are rated to much lower temps than the Caribou, the name escapes me (Expedition XT?) but they go to the top of the calf. I like the Conquest, it’s rated to -40 like the Caribou but is much more comfortable for extended walking IME. It’s my go-to for snowshoeing in subzero temps and deep snow. Sitting still I find them good to maybe -10F.

Baffin, LaCrosse, and Kamik are other good winter boots for sedentary activities, I’d probably rate them in that order. Though when I got out of the army almost 21 years ago I picked up a pair of LaCrosse Ice Bowls (or Ice Kings) for ice fishing that were rated to -100F, and my feet never got cold no matter how low the temp was. Warm feet keep the rest of you warm, too. No longer made, of course.

If it’s dry when and where you hunt a pair of surplus mukluks with wool footbeds and 1 or 2 pairs of good wool socks will probably work fine.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:42:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorels are chinese made junk.

Depending on how cold look at muck,baffin,kamik and even change out socks/boots when you get to your stand.

I wear heavily insulated rubber boots,bunny boots and a pair of 2000gram insulated leather boots.
Just depends on how cold and wet.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow, that’s disappointing to learn. Just did some reading and Sorel is now owned by Columbia and made in a China. Their stuff from 10 years back was great quality.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, look at snow machine boots..they are made for cold use, they are tough and most are waterproof... Klim is a good place to start..otherwise cabella's for 2000 gram insulated knee high water boots...buy them on the loose size and take toe warmers along just in case...
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Depending on how cold look at muck,baffin,kamik and even change out socks/boots when you get to your stand.
I wear heavily insulated rubber boots,bunny boots and a pair of 2000gram insulated leather boots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow, that’s disappointing to learn. Just did some reading and Sorel is now owned by Columbia and made in a China. Their stuff from 10 years back was great quality.
Yeah, I agree.  Baffins are made in China as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, I agree.  Baffins are made in China as well.
View Quote
Baffins are much higher quality than sorels.
On doo talk a lot of the canadian and alaskans that live/work in cold wear them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I’ve had no problems at all with the 2 pairs of Sorel Conquests I’ve owned in the last 14 years, the first one lasted 8 years but the airport ramp and shop took their toll when I’d wear them in temps too cold for my steel toes. I’ve worn them working as a ski lift mechanic, aircraft ground support equipment mechanic, more days of snowshoeing than I can count, and quite a few winter hikes in the White Mountains. I can’t ever recall my feet getting cold down to around -30F, and that was mostly while doing sedentary stuff like lying on the ground changing starters. There are quite a few negative reviews on Sorel.com, though. I may have just lucked out twice in a row.

Last I looked Baffins were made in Canada, at least some of them. If they’re not now I might just have to give Schnee’s a try when I replace the Sore,s.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would agree, but wearing white bunny boots in some hunting regions might get you shot by an idiot. In snow country, they would be GTG.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP, look at snow machine boots..they are made for cold use, they are tough and most are waterproof... Klim is a good place to start..otherwise cabella's for 2000 gram insulated knee high water boots...buy them on the loose size and take toe warmers along just in case...
View Quote
This side of the surplus bunnies, I'd agree. Spent three winters in NW CO in my youth. The only thing I woods tromped or wore on my feet on a snow machine were those style packs. Kind of clunky, but those felt liners did their thing in the coldest times I spent up there. Liners can easily be pulled to dry out inside the house or by a campfire. Have no idea what they cost now, but back then, they were not that costly.

OP, another boot I've fallen in love with the last few years are NRS Boundary boots. I found them by way of kayak fishing. These type boots are targeted at canoe folks who do portaging, like up in the northern lake regions. I bought my first pair about four years back to extend  kayak fishing in to the winter months here in north-central Alabama. They are light, comfortable and made of 5mm neoprene diver suit material. Sole has rubber tread for traction. I mainly bought them for kayaking to keep feet dry getting in an out, but I have worn them for short jaunts in the wet, cold woods.  Newest pair is for the kayak, older pair are now my winter woods boots. I wear some thin wool socks in them. If interested, make sure to order one size too large.  My last pair cost about $70 online on sale.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I have spent a lot of money on boots over the years trying to find a boot to keep my feet warm.
I would recommend.....

Muck boots ( I have 3 different pair that I wear depending on what I am doing)
kamiks  ( borrowed a pair from a friend, very nice boots)
and Danner Matterhorns. I wore these while in the Army stationed in Germany. Great boots

in addition, I would recommend a pair of slip on boot blankets. ( once you are in your stand, slip on over your boots. )
you can even drop in a hot hands body warmer in each boot blanket and then zip them up.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 4:00:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes. If your budget can go a bit higher, the Oboz Bridger insulated b-dry is also a great boot with newer technology.  If I’m not expecting to encounter serous mud or water, I wear those.
View Quote
I have a pair of these and LOVE them. Keep my feet toasty warm and are super comfortable from the moment you put them on. I went snowshoeing several miles right after buying mine
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is my next buy soon... Just purchased the womens model for my daughter... 400 grain... I'm sure the limitation will be active use or singing around the camp fire with a cold beer... Sheen has a pair that I like, but not 400 grain.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 12:41:02 AM EDT
[#22]
I've worn Vasque Snowburbans on numerous winter White Mountain hikes including a couple January climbs up Mt. Washington with no issues. Comfortable and warm at a good price point, no problem with crampons.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Danner.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is my next buy soon... Just purchased the womens model for my daughter... 400 grain... I'm sure the limitation will be active use or singing around the camp fire with a cold beer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my next buy soon... Just purchased the womens model for my daughter... 400 grain... I'm sure the limitation will be active use or singing around the camp fire with a cold beer.
One for-sure use is sitting in the tree stand or ground blind while deer hunting from 0-dark-thirty to, say, 11am (5-6 hours) in 9-degree weather, with or without a wind chill.

Then doing it again from about 2pm to 5:30 or 6pm. Same temps.

400 grams insulate doesn't seem like much for just sitting, rather than more continuous activity  like walking, hiking, or climbing.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I would agree, but wearing white bunny boots in some hunting regions might get you shot by an idiot. In snow country, they would be GTG.
View Quote
That's why I wear the lighter Black Bunny / Mickey /  Boots
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've worn Vasque Snowburbans on numerous winter White Mountain hikes including a couple January climbs up Mt. Washington with no issues. Comfortable and warm at a good price point, no problem with crampons.
View Quote
+1 On the Snowburbans. They are good boots for the price.

I have since switched to dedicated mountaineering boots (Lowa Mountain Expert GTX), but I used to use the Vasque
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 12:17:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Danner insulated boots.

I'd also suggest some other considerations.
1. Mountaineering wool socks (the thickest, warmest ones I've found)--they can take normal boots down to about 0F, if you are semi-active.

2. Make sure your boots are not too tight.  You need a little room to create that warmer micro climate.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sorel Caribou. Thats all...
View Quote

X2
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 8:45:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I have Cabelas pack boots. 2000 gram and Artic Shield over boot things. I can sit in single digits weather from dark to dark.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Danner insulated boots.

I'd also suggest some other considerations.
1. Mountaineering wool socks (the thickest, warmest ones I've found)--they can take normal boots down to about 0F, if you are semi-active.  

2. Make sure your boots are not too tight.  You need a little room to create that warmer micro climate.
View Quote

Glad someone FINALLY emphasized this point.

Simple truth is, unless you have circulation issues in your extremities, OR you're not dressing warmly enough, good, thick socks should be able to keep your feet warm while sitting still in temps in the teens with ANY decent boots that are sized properly.

- if the thick socks are a snug fit in the boots, then the boots are too small. You're both compromising the loft, which compromises how well they insulate (think compressed sleeping bag, vs fluffed for maximum loft) AND simultaneously applying pressure to your foot, hampering the circulation which keeps you warm.

- if you don't dress warmly enough to keep your core comfortably warm, your body reduces circulation to your extremities and your feet (and hands) will be cold.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Sorels are a lot warmer than their Bean equivalents, but they're not the best for hiking around uneven terrain, either. Above posts have good advice regarding socks and circulation.

Mountaineering socks will have your feet sweating in decently warm boots. I have several pairs, but I don't wear them anymore because they're too warm.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm giving these a try, at least thats what my daughter said she is buying as Xmas present...

Solomon
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm giving these a try, at least thats what my daughter said she is buying as Xmas present...

Solomon
View Quote
They're a good non-technical boot for winter hiking.  They are very lightweight, and have flexibility almost like a trail runner, but have enough rigidity and padding for snowshoeing.

If you are going to be stationary for hours on end in very cold weather, they aren't going to be a good choice, but for movement in all but the worst environments, they're a great choice.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
and Danner Matterhorns. I wore these while in the Army stationed in Germany. Great boots
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There is no such boot. Danner is one company and Matterhorn is another company. I have had both. They are both great boots. I think the Danner's are a nicer.

Quoted:

One for-sure use is sitting in the tree stand or ground blind while deer hunting from 0-dark-thirty to, say, 11am (5-6 hours) in 9-degree weather, with or without a wind chill.

Then doing it again from about 2pm to 5:30 or 6pm. Same temps.

400 grams insulate doesn't seem like much for just sitting, rather than more continuous activity  like walking, hiking, or climbing.

Some of that depends on you. My feet sweat like crazy so I like less insulation and adjust with my socks.

I wear Danner's Go Devils with the 200g of insulation. If I am going to be active then I wear Smartwool Lightweight PHD socks. If I am going to be standing at a post all day then I up to either Medium PHD's or I have some heavier stuff. I have been out in -20 to -30 and my feet have always been good.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:21:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They're a good non-technical boot for winter hiking.  They are very lightweight, and have flexibility almost like a trail runner, but have enough rigidity and padding for snowshoeing.

If you are going to be stationary for hours on end in very cold weather, they aren't going to be a good choice, but for movement in all but the worst environments, they're a great choice.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up...

@L_JE:
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@L_JE:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@L_JE:
I have bot the X Ultra Trek (summer) and X Ultra Winter boots.  Like I said, they excel as a hiking boot in non technical terrain.  The insulation is maybe 1/4", so they aren't suited for stationary stuff in cold weather.  But, a fantastic boot for covering long distances.

For technical stuff, I have my full leather/GoreTex ice climbing boots ... but I'm going to walk like the Frankenstein monster in those things, and they are absolutely punishing on frozen, hard dirt/stone trails.

Throw some mini-spikes on the Salomons, and not only do you have a boot that has ample cushion for hard trails, but you've just saved your legs a ton of energy that would otherwise go into trying to maintain stability on frozen ground.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Also just thought of something:

Ever considered pairing a pair of decent Winter boots with something like Neos Overshoes specifically for sitting around in the cold?

They're overboots that go over your regular boots for added warmth/insulation/traction. Obviously, walking around in these is clunky, but doable, since they're boots that are large enough to fit over your regular boots.

The Explorer Stabilicer has both insulation and ice cleats, for things like ice fishing. I've used mine for shoveling snow/salting the driveway when it's icy.

https://www.overshoesneos.com/

They have enough room to pop in a couple of those chemical footwarmers to keep your feet even toastier. Could even lash 'em to a pack while walking in to wherever you're going, then put 'em on when you're going to be sitting still.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Danner Canadian there 10” high, waterproof, 600gr insulation, US made
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Also just thought of something:

Ever considered pairing a pair of decent Winter boots with something like Neos Overshoes specifically for sitting around in the cold?

They're overboots that go over your regular boots for added warmth/insulation/traction. Obviously, walking around in these is clunky, but doable, since they're boots that are large enough to fit over your regular boots.

The Explorer Stabilicer has both insulation and ice cleats, for things like ice fishing. I've used mine for shoveling snow/salting the driveway when it's icy.

https://www.overshoesneos.com/

They have enough room to pop in a couple of those chemical footwarmers to keep your feet even toastier. Could even lash 'em to a pack while walking in to wherever you're going, then put 'em on when you're going to be sitting still.
View Quote

I just bought some of those.

I now do my winter "hikes" on AT skis. When I get to camp I will pull my boot liners out of the shells and then put the Neos overshoes on around camp. The fit for the boot liners was great on the Neos and it feels like I'm in regular boots. I can pull the liners out of the Neos when I sleep and wear them when I sleep so I don't have to warm up the liners in the morning (sucks wearing a cold boot in the mornings).
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bunny boots FTW!!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Anybody know who has the best deal on white/black bunny boots?  Also how does the sizing compare to regular commercial shoe/boots sizing?
View Quote
Prices are climbing because of no surplus.
A quick search on the internet will show some places.

I wear size 10 shoes size.

Black bata bunnies I can wear size 9 with two socks without being to tight. Really good for walking a lot. But for colder weather I wear a size ten for a little extra room.

White bata bunnies I wear size 10 with two socks.

In both makes i put a thin insole in for arch support.
I tried a wool insole but it made the boots to tight.

Baffins are almost as good as bunny boots. Just the water proofness and being able to wear them wet when in the middle of nowhere sucks.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed Have a pair
If you have to trek to your hunting spot Danner Pronghorn 1200s would be my choice
If you don't have to go too far Military bunny boot would be my choice

Your boots need to be a little sloppy, not too tight as said above
Merino Wool Socks are a must. I like the People socks on amazon, made in the USA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top