Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2021 4:30:28 PM EDT
UPDATE:

Per recommendations in this thread, I purchased the N9TAX roll up 'Slim Jim' J-Pole antenna and have it suspended from a tree limb.

It is zip tied to a 5/16" diameter fiberglass rod purchased from Home Depot (driveway marker, $3.50, see link in a post below).  The top of the antenna rod is attached to rope with a stainless steel wire rope clamp from HD.  The antenna is roughly 40 ft. above ground.  The feedline is 70 ft. of Belden 9913 coax running to a Kenwood TM-D700 transceiver. The feedline is also attached to the fiberglass rod with a stainless steel clamp so there is no tension on the antenna itself.  I put heat shrink tube on the fiberglass rod for the clamp to 'bite' into.

So far, I've received excellent signal reports while running through repeaters 20-25 miles away.  Fellow Arfcommer and all-around Great Guy @M4Madnesswas my first QSO!  I've heard traffic clearly on repeaters double that distance but haven't yet contacted anyone through those repeaters.  Unfortunately I don't have equipment to measure SWR at this time.  

Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this thread with their suggestions and ideas.  Since I don't have an 'Elmer,' you guys are the next best thing!

Arfhamnation, looking for a a 2 meter band antenna to hang from a tree.  Swear I've seen some product(s) online but can't remember where.

I've got tall yellow poplar trees in the yard with the crowns high up so they are perfect for getting an antenna well off the ground.  Not interested in anything suspended between trees at this time.  Just want to hang an antenna from a high branch and forget it.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

^^^This^^^^

Try to use a low loss coax for runs longer than ~50 feet.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

^^^This^^^^

Try to use a low loss coax for runs longer than ~50 feet.
View Quote

What low loss coax do you recommend?  I think the run will be over 50 ft.  Might be 40 ft. in the tree alone.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, same thing, love mine, got it straight from the horses mouth, great service.

https://n9taxlabs.com/shop/ols/products/single-band-slim-jim-with-10-or-16-foot-cable
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What low loss coax do you recommend?  I think the run will be over 50 ft.  Might be 40 ft. in the tree alone.
View Quote
LMR400 equivalent.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Building one of these soon. Probably could hang it or secure it in a tree pretty easily.

WB0TGE 2m/440 Mighty Woof Fan Dipole
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Building one of these soon. Probably could hang it or secure it in a tree pretty easily.

WB0TGE 2m/440 Mighty Woof Fan Dipole
View Quote
Fan dipoles are popular here but made from 1/8" welding wire. Make sure you have it vertical if you're going to use it for FM.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#9]
This one is pretty stealthy but I wouldn't want to pull it up in a tree.
Ham Radio 2m/70cm Vertical Dipole Antenna
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fan dipoles are popular here but made from 1/8" welding wire. Make sure you have it vertical if you're going to use it for FM.
View Quote
Yes sir. That's the idea.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Easy to make one out of a piece of 450 ohm ladder line.  We made them at a local ARES meeting a while back.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
LMR400 equivalent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMR400 equivalent.

Thanks! ??
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#14]
No, DO NOT buy LMR400 to hang in a tree.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Coax-cable-length-question-Resonant-lenth-issue-/22-699606/#i11987317

I wouldn't use anything bigger than LMR240 to hang in a tree.

I wouldn't use a so-called "J pole" either.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I finally made my first ham transmission tonight. I was using my Yaesu FT-70DR HT with a Diamond brand antenna replacing the factory rubber duck. My cousin 11 miles away and I could converse on 2M simplex with him using a rooftop vertical, but he said my transmission was lacking. I then strung up my N9TAX Slim Jim in a tree in the yard, and suddenly he could hear me loud and clear.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I finally made my first ham transmission tonight. I was using my Yaesu FT-70DR HT with a Diamond brand antenna replacing the factory rubber duck. My cousin 11 miles away and I could converse on 2M simplex with him using a rooftop vertical, but he said my transmission was lacking. I then strung up my N9TAX Slim Jim in a tree in the yard, and suddenly he could hear me loud and clear.
View Quote

Height is might on VHF/UHF. You can reach quite a ways if you get the antenna high enough.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Height is might on VHF/UHF. You can reach quite a ways if you get the antenna high enough.
View Quote

Yep. He turned his HT down to 1 watt and I still heard him as well as when he was at 5 watts.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bad.

Ass!
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Update to OP

I purchased the Slim Jim dual band wire antenna from N9TAX Labs.  Arrived today.

Did the slingshot, lead sinker, and 30 lb monofilament trick and got a rope much higher in the tree than I figured possible.  Hopefully measure it later but thinking the top of the antenna will be 50 ft. off the ground.  Now I am shopping for a 1/4 in. dia. fiberglass rod to stiffen the Slim Jim per the webpage and take the coax weight off the antenna for hanging.  Gotta figure out connections to the rod for the hanging rope and strain relief for the feedline.

Looks like I need RG-8U coax to minimize the line loss and around 75 ft. of it so that's the next purchase besides the radio.  Due to how much coax is going to be hanging and swinging in the wind, it needs to be tough enough to survive the application.

Not sure why I am doing all this.  Don't have anyone to talk with yet.  Maybe just to see if it works!  haha
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#20]
RG-8X will be fine for RX. It will work for TX too, but you will have power loss. It's probably the best compromise between weigh/size/performance for what you're doing as 50' of LMR-400 hanging from a Slim Jim probably wouldn't be a long lasting situation.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not sure why I am doing all this.  Don't have anyone to talk with yet.  Maybe just to see if it works!  haha
View Quote

We could probably talk across our hilly 40 miles on 2M HT's if we'd raise our antennas to 200 feet.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We could probably talk across our hilly 40 miles on 2M HT's if we'd raise our antennas to 200 feet.
View Quote

That's what repeaters are for, I think?

My little Baofeng picks up the monthly net call on the Jasper repeater without any trouble so I believe with the Slim Jim 50 ft. off the ground, I expect to hit the repeater in your AO with a better unit..  We'll have to give it a shot!
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Does your local walmart have fiberglass crappie poles in the fishing dept? That would probably be sufficient for what you want to do. They are like a cane pole but collapse into shorter sections.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Update to OP

I purchased the Slim Jim dual band wire antenna from N9TAX Labs.  Arrived today.

Did the slingshot, lead sinker, and 30 lb monofilament trick and got a rope much higher in the tree than I figured possible.  Hopefully measure it later but thinking the top of the antenna will be 50 ft. off the ground.  Now I am shopping for a 1/4 in. dia. fiberglass rod to stiffen the Slim Jim per the webpage and take the coax weight off the antenna for hanging.  Gotta figure out connections to the rod for the hanging rope and strain relief for the feedline.

View Quote

Would this work for you?

https://www.amazon.com/Piece-Fiberglass-Solid-Blank-Inches/dp/B0052TVI0K

Hung my Slim Jim off my balcony last week. Works great. Picked up a repeater last night that is 60 miles away. The signal had plenty of bacon fry in it, but it was still understandable.

I didn't know strain relief for the feedline was needed. Thanks.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Update to OP

Looks like I need RG-8U coax to minimize the line loss and around 75 ft. of it so that's the next purchase besides the radio.  Due to how much coax is going to be hanging and swinging in the wind, it needs to be tough enough to survive the application.

View Quote

Shaking my head at folks who buy crappy low-performance antennas and then try to make up for it with low-loss cables.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Shaking my head at folks who buy crappy low-performance antennas and then try to make up for it with low-loss cables.
View Quote

I can easily get caught up in chasing dB's, but I have to keep reminding myself all the power in the world will not make the earth flat.  The only real reason I keep telling me why a high gain antenna might be worth it - it is longer so it will be a few ft higher in the air.

That said, I bet the 40' mast I just pulled out of the trash pile besides the house will help more.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Ed Fong dual band.  He sells a portable roll up version and a permanent mount version.  Both work great.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought my N9TAX antenna to take backpacking, especially on my annual trips to the Smoky Mountains. It would sure suck to have some sort of an emergency and not have a cell signal. From what I've read, that antenna is supposed to give me a 6 dB gain, essentially turning my 5 watts into 20 watts.

I'll be putting up a 70cm/2M antenna on the roof of my house for my HT as a permanent solution.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ed Fong dual band.  He sells a portable roll up version and a permanent mount version.  Both work great.
View Quote

I have one of his antennas, and with it 30 feet in the air, I can hear repeaters 70 miles away.
Mine is in a piece of pvc, and has held up to two Wisconsin winters so far.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Does your local walmart have fiberglass crappie poles in the fishing dept? That would probably be sufficient for what you want to do. They are like a cane pole but collapse into shorter sections.
View Quote

Here's an ideal solution I discovered for an easy and inexpensive mount for hanging the Slim Jim in a tree: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-72-in-Reflective-Rod-in-Orange-31674/304685893

Practically no weight.  Longer than the Slim Jim so there is plenty of room on either end for connections or cut to fit.  5/16 inch diameter.
Only $3.37 before tax.

I scraped off the reflective tape, lightly sanded the gloss on the glass, and gave it a coat of rattle can camo.  Blends right in the with tree.

Next up is some stainless steel wire rope clamps to attach the rope and coax to the rod.  The Slim Jim, fastened to the rod with wire ties, will have no tension on it.

Only problem is my rope is so high in the tree that I couldn't really tell where it went so just to be sure, I brought out the binoculars to check.  Damn!  The rope is hanging on a dead limb.  Tomorrow it's another slingshot launch of the egg sinker and fishing line.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's what repeaters are for, I think?

My little Baofeng picks up the monthly net call on the Jasper repeater without any trouble so I believe with the Slim Jim 50 ft. off the ground, I expect to hit the repeater in your AO with a better unit..  We'll have to give it a shot!
View Quote

It looks like I'm 23.8 miles from the repeater in Loogootee. Obviously the ones in Bedford and Mitchell are closer. I haven't programmed my HT for any repeaters yet.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#32]
15 years ago or so, people on here recommended the N9TAX antenna.  I ordered the 2m 70 cm one.  He shipped me the 2m instead.  I told him and he shipped the correct one and told me to keep the other.  So I have 2.  I dont use it much at all, but it has worked fine when I do.  And the owner is a great guy for giving me a free antenna.  I have it mounted inside my garage on the wall and it STILL hits all the repeaters i use.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I got but I'm still not very good with aiming it.

I saw one of these at petworld. Been thinking of getting one.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/23/2021 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Bump for update
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Bump for update
View Quote

Glad it is working out great for you! I didn't get your mention to this thread due to no space between my screen name and the next word.

At least you get to sit in a warm and dry house. I currently have to stand outside in the dark (and sometimes sprinkles) under a tall maple with my HT connected to an N9TAX antenna.

I can reach at least one repeater 47.5 miles away with my screw-on 15" Diamond antenna, but won't get great signal reports. I got a NOS one of THESE from my cousin for $20, which will be going on top of a mast that will be holding my fan dipole -- as soon as someone will come off an old TV antenna tower.

It was good to talk with you after the net Sunday night. It was the first time I'd heard your voice since 2004. LOL!
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Glad it is working out great for you! I didn't get your mention to this thread due to no space between my screen name and the next word.

At least you get to sit in a warm and dry house. I currently have to stand outside in the dark (and sometimes sprinkles) under a tall maple with my HT connected to an N9TAX antenna.

I can reach at least one repeater 47.5 miles away with my screw-on 15" Diamond antenna, but won't get great signal reports. I got a NOS one of THESE from my cousin for $20, which will be going on top of a mast that will be holding my fan dipole -- as soon as someone will come off an old TV antenna tower.

It was good to talk with you after the net Sunday night. It was the first time I'd heard your voice since 2004. LOL!
View Quote
I have one of those antennas, its mounted on my house about 35'.  I've been looking at a tree 60'+ and wondering if it would go up there....but the radials would probably get stuck...lol
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have one of those antennas, its mounted on my house about 35'.  I've been looking at a tree 60'+ and wondering if it would go up there....but the radials would probably get stuck...lol
View Quote

I wondered about hauling one up on a rope, too. LOL! I'd put it on the roof, but I'd just have to turn around and move it again when I get a tall mast up. My N9TAX roll-up is doing great in the interim. I checked into a net 50 miles away a half hour ago and was told by net control that I was loud and clear. He sounded like he was standing next to me. It's pretty hilly here in southern Indiana, too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It looks like I'm 23.8 miles from the repeater in Loogootee. Obviously the ones in Bedford and Mitchell are closer. I haven't programmed my HT for any repeaters yet.
View Quote

You guys are pretty close to my AO (Washington County). I'm scheduled to test in a couple weeks. This might be a fun project while I'm waiting.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You guys are pretty close to my AO (Washington County). I'm scheduled to test in a couple weeks. This might be a fun project while I'm waiting.
View Quote

Well, maybe we can all hit a common repeater. I'm going to try to put a 2M antenna at 50 feet sometime soon, which should help me out immensely. I've got a couple of Salem repeaters programmed in my HT, as well as a couple in Paoli. I have no idea if I can reach any of them, but I definitely can Mitchell.

Good luck on your testing!
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Salem is 44 miles from me.  I've hit Bloomington which is 40 miles away so if I squeeze the PTT hard enough I might be able to stretch it out to your repeater!
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Salem is 44 miles from me.  I've hit Bloomington which is 40 miles away so if I squeeze the PTT hard enough I might be able to stretch it out to your repeater!
View Quote

Maybe he'll be able to hit Mitchell, which we both can. Tonight is the net, so I may hear you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Seems a copper pipe j-pole would have been easier and more durable.  Run some paracord through the main element to pull it up and hang it it.  Not all that heavy, can be painted any color you want to hide it.

My first Ham antenna was a 2-meter copper pipe j-pole I built myself.  Put it up 40 feet (I had a tower some ogre built with his own 3 hands out of conduit... heavy as a freight train, but it worked.) and had no problem hitting any repeater in the area (Central Coast of CA at the time).

Good to see you found a solution that works for you!
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe he'll be able to hit Mitchell, which we both can. Tonight is the net, so I may hear you.

I've got the Salem repeater programmed. Will add the Lawrence county repeaters this weekend. After I test on the 10th I'll try and reach over there. Mitchell is my hometown. I know a few local arfcom members over here with radios. None interested in licensing though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep,

all the way up to satellites in orbit with a 4 watt HT.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I bought my N9TAX antenna to take backpacking, especially on my annual trips to the Smoky Mountains. It would sure suck to have some sort of an emergency and not have a cell signal. From what I've read, that antenna is supposed to give me a 6 dB gain, essentially turning my 5 watts into 20 watts.

I'll be putting up a 70cm/2M antenna on the roof of my house for my HT as a permanent solution.
View Quote

6 dB gain compared to what?
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

6 dB gain compared to what?
View Quote

Compared to my rubber duck, I guess.

*Single Band VHF* (144-148 std).
*Can be custom tuned from 136-999 mhz.
*Antenna body approx 5' in length.
*Feedline 16' in length.
*Will handle 100+ watts.
*6db of gain.
*Low radiation takeoff angle (peak <4 degrees)
*10 oz total weight
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#47]
rubber duck is typically -5 dB loss
the slimjim is typically about 3 dBi

so compared to the rubber duck antenna, the difference in performance is typically about 8 dB gain in signal getting radiated.

However some commercial manufacturers claim a slimjim has a 6dbi gain ( over what usually does not get mentioned ) because the slimjim tends to have a lower angle of being a 1/2 wave antenna compared to a 1/4 wave ground plane.

So it gets.....complicated especially with claims that are not backup up.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#48]
I believe Ed Fong claims 6db over a rubber duck antenna. https://www.miklor.com/COM/Fong/DBJ1-EdsDesk.php Mine has worked very well, I cannot complain at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top