Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/9/2021 5:42:57 AM EDT
This seems like it would be a useful tool to have, since they plot SWR across a designated frequency range. I have seen various people reference them here and say things like they know the good one to get, etc.

Which model do you believe to be the best one for Ham Radio purposes, and which seller is a good/reliable/honest one?

Do you have any usage tips you can share? Errors to avoid? This thread would be a great place to collect all of those. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 5:48:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Testing tomorrow morning. Would also like to know the thoughts on which model and why.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:42:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I got the $54 version off Amazon. Watched youtube to figure out how to use it. Worked for me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:08:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I got the one off of Amazon too. It seems to work well.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Amazon shows a couple in the $50-$60 range. Is there a specific letter suffix model that is more preferable than any other?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:52:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Amazon special here, no internal battery, made by KKMoon..works great.

R&L has "deluxe" models for just a few bucks more.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Get the Nano VNA-H4, 4 inch screen, then download nanovna saver software.

https://nanovna.com/?page_id=90

RandL will be back in stock soon:

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=8620&products_id=75145

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This seems like it would be a useful tool to have, since they plot SWR across a designated frequency range. I have seen various people reference them here and say things like they know the good one to get, etc.

Which model do you believe to be the best one for Ham Radio purposes, and which seller is a good/reliable/honest one?

Do you have any usage tips you can share? Errors to avoid? This thread would be a great place to collect all of those. Thanks!
View Quote
I have both the standard NanoVNA V2 and the NanoVNA SAA-2N with larger screen and type N connectors. I much prefer the later. I've switched all my gear to Type N connectors so it better for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G4GXTKK
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Got 2 complete sets (batts, connectors, calibrators) from R&L for $40 each, last year. Gave one away to a club.
It works fine but I still prefer my old MFJ-259.
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but it seems like the unit should be calibrated before each use. If I don't, it shows 1.3:1 SWR with a uniformly spaced peaks of 1.6:1 across the whole measurement range, even when connected to a damaged antenna (7:1 real SWR).
Honestly, I haven't spent enough time researching this issue. It does show nearly flat, 1:1 SWR on a dummy load.
Do you guys calibrate yours before each use?

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got 2 complete sets (batts, connectors, calibrators) from R&L for $40 each, last year. Gave one away to a club.
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but it seems like the unit should be calibrated before each use. If I don't, it shows 1.3:1 SWR with a uniformly spaced peaks of 1.6:1 across the whole measurement range, even when connected to a damaged antenna (7:1 real SWR).
Honestly, I haven't spent enough time researching this issue. It does show nearly flat, 1:1 SWR on a dummy load.

View Quote

I calibrate mine occasionally and then save the calibration.  On the "Cal" screen there are several Save locations (Save 0, Save 1, etc.) and I usually save mine to #1 (0 is the default calibration).  On subsequent uses I load the saved calibration and it seems to work fine.  Try that and see if it solves your problem.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I watched a video on it a few days ago, killing time. I think it was HamRadioConcepts... he did mention it needs to be calibrated before each use. He didn't get further into it (I stopped watching before he used it on an antenna.) Maybe it lacks some sort of non-volatile memory, meaning it loses the calibration after a power off?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I calibrate mine occasionally and then save the calibration.  On the "Cal" screen there are several Save locations (Save 0, Save 1, etc.) and I usually save mine to #1 (0 is the default calibration).  On subsequent uses I load the saved calibration and it seems to work fine.  Try that and see if it solves your problem.
View Quote

Perhaps I should have watched to the end
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I use the nanoVNA H-4. I calibrate mine at the end of a 20' run of rg58 and I use that coax as my test system. You dont have to calibrate with the coax you plan to use but it can change readings slightly. Once saved in slot 0 I typically dont have to do anything to it other than check it once in a while.

Only issue I have had is crazy readings on 2m yagi antennas when pointed to the west. A new tower is up and running and I think causes some pretty bad interference. Otherwise its a great little tool for swr, impedance, and resonance.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I calibrate before measuring the SWR on each band of my dipole. It’s a 40/20/10 so I calibrate 3 times before the 3 measurements.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I calibrate before measuring the SWR on each band of my dipole. It's a 40/20/10 so I calibrate 3 times before the 3 measurements.
View Quote
The calibration works such that the current range of frequencies shown on the X-axis at the time of calibration is where the calibration will be most accurate.  And as stated above, you can save multiple calibrations across multiple bandwidths.  I have mine setup as followed and simply cycle between them using the recall function:

Save 0 (this is also the calibration that auto-loads at power-on): 1 MHz to 30 MHz.  Coverage of the whole HF spectrum and nice for an at-a-glance look of all the bands.
Save 1: 13.500 MHz to 14.500 MHz.  This covers the 20M band and a bit outside if it.
Save 2: 6.500 MHz to 7.500 MHz.  This covers the 40M band and a bit outside if it.
Save 3: 3.000 MHz to 4.500 MHz.  This covers the 80M band and a bit outside if it.
Save 4: 130 MHz to 160 MHz.  This covers the 2M band and a bit outside if it.

These are the bands I mostly use in the field, and include the extra space on either side of the band to see the SWR dip move into band when manually adjusting/tuning an antenna.  If I really want to scan another set of frequencies, I'll usually skip doing a full new calibration and rather will select the save above that is closest to where I want to measure, load that calibration file, then adjust the "stimulus" to the frequency range I want.  That should be close enough for my needs without a full calibration on that slice of the bands.  If I want to go way outside those (like for say doing 900 MHz), then I would re-calibrate.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great advice! Thanks. I don't think I saved calibration on mine.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine will have anomalies in the readings sometimes if I don't calibrate it, even using a saved calibration. it takes all of a minute to do, so not a big deal.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:31:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I use the nanoVNA H-4. I calibrate mine at the end of a 20' run of rg58 and I use that coax as my test system. You dont have to calibrate with the coax you plan to use but it can change readings slightly. Once saved in slot 0 I typically dont have to do anything to it other than check it once in a while.

Only issue I have had is crazy readings on 2m yagi antennas when pointed to the west. A new tower is up and running and I think causes some pretty bad interference. Otherwise its a great little tool for swr, impedance, and resonance.
View Quote

I've been studying the use these lately, and the 2 caveats I got collectively from the material reviewed are 1)  their data can be erratic on a larger antenna, and B) nearby strong signals will also mess up your readings(perhaps overcoming this may be as simple as taking your measurements at an off hour?)
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Great advice! Thanks. I don't think I saved calibration on mine.
View Quote

If you use the NanoVNASaver software, you can save an unlimited number of calibrations on your laptop and back them up.

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've been studying the use these lately, and the 2 caveats I got collectively from the material reviewed are 1)  their data can be erratic on a larger antenna, and B) nearby strong signals will also mess up your readings(perhaps overcoming this may be as simple as taking your measurements at an off hour?)
View Quote

I watched a recent interview of Martin Jue, owner of MFJ and he mentioned that the accuracy of the lower power NNA's may give inaccurate reading for the above reasons you mentioned.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I love mine, but the damn thing produces square waves, not sine waves (and this is on purpose because it makes the design simpler). That it works as well as it does is amazing. It truly is a VNA. Screw those overpriced "antenna analyzers"!

I have an older, little one. With firmware updates it continues to get better and better. It has done what I wanted quite well up through about 150MHz. I have not tried it at UHF freq's yet.

If I could do it all over again I'd buy the larger one in the metal case. Maybe I will anyway

There are a million Youtube videos on how to use them, so many I couldn't pick the best one if I tried. If you are looking to make a particular type of measurement with one, just watch two or three videos on that particular measurement and you'll be as dangerous as you need to be
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I love mine, but the damn thing produces square waves, not sine waves (and this is on purpose because it makes the design simpler). That it works as well as it does is amazing. It truly is a VNA. Screw those overpriced "antenna analyzers"!

I have an older, little one. With firmware updates it continues to get better and better. It has done what I wanted quite well up through about 150MHz. I have not tried it at UHF freq's yet.

If I could do it all over again I'd buy the larger one in the metal case. Maybe I will anyway

There are a million Youtube videos on how to use them, so many I couldn't pick the best one if I tried. If you are looking to make a particular type of measurement with one, just watch two or three videos on that particular measurement and you'll be as dangerous as you need to be
View Quote

Which one is "the larger one in the metal case" that you are referring to?
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Something like this...

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 7:27:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
When you look on Amazon you will see they come in two basic flavors: a 2.8" screen or a 4.3" screen. The ones with the larger screen generally come with an aluminum housing. Check the fine print.

eta example
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I bought the H4 from Gigaparts because R&L was out of stock.  Be sure to download NanoSaver as well.  Here is a screenshot of the 2m 1/4 wavelength dipole I built this weekend.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
The one I mentioned is the larger version in a metal case.
NanoVNA SAA-2N
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I bought the H4 from Gigaparts because R&L was out of stock.  Be sure to download NanoSaver as well.  Here is a screenshot of the 2m 1/4 wavelength dipole I built this weekend.

Looks like pretty decent software!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/339936/2m__25wave_4_12_2021_jpg-1901962.JPG
View Quote

Quoted:
NanoVNA SAA-2N
View Quote

Cool. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

A couple of things:

It only samples a small number of points, so you want to restrict the frequency range you are looking at to get an accurate plot. Or use the external program, which can automatically split up the range into multiple parts and scan each individually, effectively multiplying the number of sample points by X.

So don't try to use the out of box range of a few khZ to 1.5GHz (or more). 100 sample over that range is useless for practical purposes.

If you are looking at a 2M/70cm antenna, set up and calibrate two independent ranges covering just the individual bands.

Once calibrated, it should hold the calibration. Change anything (frequency range, connectors, cables) and you will need to re calibrate.

Remember, this is a VNA not an SWR meter - they are really quite different things.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A couple of things:

It only samples a small number of points, so you want to restrict the frequency range you are looking at to get an accurate plot. Or use the external program, which can automatically split up the range into multiple parts and scan each individually, effectively multiplying the number of sample points by X.

So don't try to use the out of box range of a few khZ to 1.5GHz (or more). 100 sample over that range is useless for practical purposes.

If you are looking at a 2M/70cm antenna, set up and calibrate two independent ranges covering just the individual bands.

Once calibrated, it should hold the calibration. Change anything (frequency range, connectors, cables) and you will need to re calibrate.

Remember, this is a VNA not an SWR meter - they are really quite different things.
View Quote

Good info. Thanks.

I am planning on setting it up to do a single band at a time. So, like 7.000 to 7.300 mHz for the 40m band. That way I get all 100 data points for the band, so I can see how the SWR changes within the band. Or, if I hook it up to a computer, I can get up to 1024 data points, if I understand the specs correctly. I think that granularity should be sufficient.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
NanoVNA SAA-2N
View Quote

I have the SAA-2N, the NanoVNA-H4 and the TinySA. I prefer the H4. Be aware the SAA-2N has N connectors only, I wasn't aware of that when I bought it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Be aware that the nanovnasaver software is only compatible with:
NanoVNA, NanoVNA-H, NanoVNA-H4, NanoVNA-F, AVNA via Teensy

https://github.com/NanoVNA-Saver/nanovna-saver
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Be aware that the nanovnasaver software is only compatible with:
NanoVNA, NanoVNA-H, NanoVNA-H4, NanoVNA-F, AVNA via Teensy

https://github.com/NanoVNA-Saver/nanovna-saver
View Quote

Hmmm. Have you (or anyone) tried it with a NanoVNA SAA2N?

ETA:  Looks like the SAA2N uses a different sw: https://github.com/nanovna-v2/NanoVNA-QT

Screenshot:
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Just got my NanoVNA in the mail via USPS, from R&L Electronics. My first order from them.

The box was in a plain white USPS envelope. I open it, and find, to my dismay, that I was looking at the actual product box, which had been shipped without any sort of bubble wrap or padding of any kind. This allowed the box the unit was in, albeit in a zipper pouch, to have a corner smashed in.

I will be trying the unit out over the weekend to make sure it isn't damaged. I shot the vendor an email with the same image to alert them to the fact that there may be damage, and asked if they usually ship electronics without any sort of bubble wrap or padding. Good grief.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I found a case on Etsy for mine that is pretty solid. The lack of directions was a little confusing. For about 30 seconds till I realized how to put it on.

Etsy NanoVNA Case
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#35]
I finally broke down and purchased one of these little VNA devices. Bought mine from Nooelec, the NanoVNA-H 4.

My biggest issue with the device is the power switch. Barely bump the damn thing and it turns off. I emailed Nooelec and their response was it's normally sensitive like that. Great. So I'll be searching for a better switch at some point.

The other thing I'm searching for is a zipper up travel case for it. Did a minor Google search but all I turn up are actual 3D printed cases for the bare board models. Suppose I'll just have to put in the time to measure and research a few cases to store it in. Thankfully Amazon has thousands to choose from.

So far it's pretty damn cool. Watched a few videos on YouTube and feel fairly confident I'll not completely screw up any measurements.

This was the first video I watched, his explanation made complete sense. I've been meaning to subscribe to his feed, so glad I came across it.

#359 How to properly use a NanoVNA V2 Vector Network Analyzer & Smith Chart (Tutorial)

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
NanoVNA SAA-2N
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NanoVNA SAA-2N

I've seen you over in GD posting, didn't know you were a ham as well. Welcome.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#37]
OP,
All I’ll add to the above, is as you are learning to use the VNA, if you get confused just turn it off and it will start over on power up.

I only look at one trace at a time for now.

Mine is the small one. Get the big one if you can.

I spent some time tonight looking at my antenna with the MFJ 949b connected and it was illuminating to watch the display as I adjusted the tuner.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I adjusted the tuner with the VNA tonight, I will test tomorrow and report the results. I am curious how close it will be on 80 and 40 m.

ETA:  I transmitted with the settings from using the VNA.  It seems my swr was lower than with tuning by trial and error.
About 1.4/5 on 7.263

The tuning manual said to start at 1.5. I  1.5
Actual values were 4. H. 0

Made a solid contact with a pota in Virginia!
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#39]
I ran the NanoVNA SAA2N on my MFJ-2012 OCFD yesterday. It took me some time watching videos and googling to figure out how to use it, and I am still not 100% convinced that I did everything 100% correctly, but the numbers on the claimed bands that the antenna is supposed to cover (40/20/10/6M) seemed about right, which lends some credence to the idea that I did do it correctly.

Here's an example of results I got with the antenna connected directly to the unit via an adapter and the provided short jumper. Is the zigzagging normal?  I ran the "mark" around on the trace to capture the approximate high and low in the band:

Note on calibration

I calibrated it with the foot-long blue jumper in place, since I was going to be using that when connecting the antenna to measure. I made no calculations or added any sort of parameter when doing this.

This is the closest I have come to finding a user guide: https://nanorfe.com/nanovna-v2-user-manual.html#__RefHeading___Toc3235_3240808850
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#40]
That sawtooth pattern does not look right to me
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That sawtooth pattern does not look right to me
View Quote

Yours doesn't do that?

After, I calibrated via the PC and ran it from the PC with the software, it returned a smoother line, with what appear to be slightly lower values:
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I ran the NanoVNA SAA2N on my MFJ-2012 OCFD yesterday. It took me some time watching videos and googling to figure out how to use it, and I am still not 100% convinced that I did everything 100% correctly, but the numbers on the claimed bands that the antenna is supposed to cover (40/20/10/6M) seemed about right, which lends some credence to the idea that I did do it correctly.

Here's an example of results I got with the antenna connected directly to the unit via an adapter and the provided short jumper. Is the zigzagging normal?  I ran the "mark" around on the trace to capture the approximate high and low in the band:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-4jW3GZS/0/a622c61a/L/i-4jW3GZS-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-g5L7fkV/0/ccc24260/L/i-g5L7fkV-L.jpg

Note on calibration

I calibrated it with the foot-long blue jumper in place, since I was going to be using that when connecting the antenna to measure. I made no calculations or added any sort of parameter when doing this.

This is the closest I have come to finding a user guide: https://nanorfe.com/nanovna-v2-user-manual.html#__RefHeading___Toc3235_3240808850
View Quote

As previously mentioned, the sawtooth pattern looks a little odd. Also, getting a little high at over 2:1. Not terrible...but see if you can do better.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yours doesn't do that?

After, I calibrated via the PC and ran it from the PC with the software, it returned a smoother line, with what appear to be slightly lower values:
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-8rCXTH3/0/800d9c28/L/i-8rCXTH3-L.jpg
View Quote
That looks better. Ive seen the sawtooth pattern a few times and I think it happens when you take a measurment far outside the range of the calibration file currebtly loaded. I saw it once when I measured a 900mhz antenna with a calibration in the HF range.  Recalibrating it to the correct range fixed it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
As previously mentioned, the sawtooth pattern looks a little odd. Also, getting a little high at over 2:1. Not terrible...but see if you can do better.
View Quote

I will end up running all the tests again.

Quoted:
That looks better. Ive seen the sawtooth pattern a few times and I think it happens when you take a measurment far outside the range of the calibration file currebtly loaded. I saw it once when I measured a 900mhz antenna with a calibration in the HF range.  Recalibrating it to the correct range fixed it.
View Quote

The next time I do this, I will make a log sheet of some kind and record all the settings so I can be sure of what I did. I thought I recalibrated for each frequency range, but maybe some of the other settings were different.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:05:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Well. My NanoVNA worked for about an hour total before it decided to quit. Now, it powers up but all I see is white, slightly flickering screen.  It was CHEAP though.......   Cheap Chinese junk!

Back to my old, trusty MFJ-259. I wish it did 440 Mhz too. The only other antenna analyzer I'd consider is the one made by Comet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:24:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Well. My NanoVNA worked for about an hour total before it decided to quit. Now, it powers up but all I see is white, slightly flickering screen.  It was CHEAP though.......   Cheap Chinese junk!

Back to my old, trusty MFJ-259. I wish it did 440 Mhz too. The only other antenna analyzer I'd consider is the one made by Comet.
View Quote

RigExpert's are very nice, a little higher than the Comet, but nicer display and easier to do more stuff IMO. They don't do S21, but most aren't really using those functions anyway.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:26:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

If bought mail order, you should be able to return it, no?

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll have to look into it. I bought 2 from them when they were on sale. Gave one away as a gift.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'll have to look into it. I bought 2 from them when they were on sale. Gave one away as a gift.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If beyond the return period and assuming you paid with a credit card, the card may offer automatic extension of mfr warranty, which might help, or some other protection.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

RigExpert's are very nice, a little higher than the Comet, but nicer display and easier to do more stuff IMO. They don't do S21, but most aren't really using those functions anyway.
View Quote

I've used RigExperts but wasn't very impressed with them. I really could care less about SWR plots, fancy graphics or computer interfaces. The MFJ is about perfect for my needs but they have a weak front end. It's not an issue most of the time but I've had problems with large, high gain antennas, especially on the lower pands (160m at night is the worst). The front end simply gets overloaded from strong signals pulled in by the antenna.
Some of the real professional analyzers send an encoded pulse instead of just a carrier. This way it weeds out everything else but the valid signal. I wonder if Comet or RigExpert do something like this?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top