Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2022 2:21:59 PM EDT
Who’s got one? What’s the best one out there? Looking for a 16” model if there’s a good one.

I know an iron works and I’ve sealed plenty of mylar with them, but I’m looking to upgrade to a dedicated heat sealer.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:47:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The old tried and true clamshell type sealer is still the best IMO.

Have worn more than a few out over the years and still will buy another one when my current one fails.
View Quote

@Lowdown3

Got a link to them? Not familiar.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:35:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup  that's what I  use.   Works great.   Just look up hair straightener on Amazon.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used my wife's hair straightener and a vac sealer (clamshell) to good effect.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought this late last year and it has worked fine for quite a few uses.  Longevity is yet to be determined though.
Impulse Heat Sealer Manual Bags Sealer Heat Sealing Machine 12 Inch Impulse Sealer Machine for Plastic Bags PE PP Bags with Extra Replace Element Grip
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Avid Armor USV 32 chamber vacuum sealer.  This thing is magical.

Not mylar, but it will do mylar.

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I use the one on my Food Saver and run the heat sealer twice; I've got bags that are a couple of years old that still have a vacuum so I guess good enough but if I were doing more I'd buy a better sealer.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Searched "clam shell heat sealer" on Ebay and a lot of goofy looking stuff came up, but this is it-

Heat sealer

Make sure you plug it in and turn it on a good 3-5 minutes before you are ready to start sealing. You'll learn how long to hold but it isn't very long when the sealer is very hot. Reason 342 why you don't cut all the excess mylar off - so you have room to seal lower on the bag if you burn thru on higher attempts. You'll see what I mean when you first start doing it.
View Quote

Awesome, thank you!
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Do a search for impulse sealer, you'll find them everywhere.  you can get them on Amazon, ebay, and uline to name a few places.

I used an iron to seal mine and it worked perfectly.  I was sealing mylar bags in a bucket, so I placed a 1x4 across the top of the bucket as a small table, folded the mylar bag back over itself and used the iron to heat up the fold.  The key as to not leave the iron in one spot too long.  I believe I used the permanent press setting.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I just bought a hair straightener, turn it to 410 and seal up the bags.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I just use a hot iron on top of a 2 x 4.  Works fine
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#13]
my wife's hair straightener. shhhh.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I've always used the iron and a 2x4, but have always wondered about these ones from the LDS store.  
Gotta figure they get put to some serious use.
Automatic Impulse Pouch Sealer
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've always used the iron and a 2x4, but have always wondered about these ones from the LDS store.  
Gotta figure they get put to some serious use.
Automatic Impulse Pouch Sealer
View Quote

I used them before when we could can our own stuff.  The advantage is using a foot pedal to activate them leaving hands free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top